Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2020 Guinness 6 Nations

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #16
    Roman Kelleher began his first season spectacularly- but was injured thereafter. Not sure how much more he has played. While very promising, I’m surprised he has done enough to eclipse Scannell, particularly as Farrell has also taken the interesting option of naming four development players.

    Selecting Sexton as captain beggars belief- his fitness prevents him playing a reasonably full part in the non international game- and seems to me to lack the necessary qualities, outstanding a player as he is/was when fully fit.

    I wish I was more bothered that relatively few Munster players have been selected- and I don’t like feeling that way about my home country.

    Comment


      #17
      Originally posted by jagawayagain View Post
      Selecting Sexton as captain beggars belief- his fitness prevents him playing a reasonably full part in the non international game- and seems to me to lack the necessary qualities, outstanding a player as he is/was when fully fit.
      Someone on Reddit suggested that picking Sexton now is the best way to guarantee that James Ryan gets it for the World Cup. Interesting perspective though I'm not sure we are that strategic about these things.

      Comment


        #18
        No Scannell, Cronin, Nordi, Mc Closkey, Carty, Ruddock, Marmion, Blade, Marty Moore, JGP

        Injured: Beirne, Kleyn, Conan, Carbery.

        2 full front rows from Leinster and Ulster selected....
        1 front row from Munster and no second row. Sadness...
        Last edited by i_like_cake; 15th-January-2020, 16:42.
        He was as lame as a duck. Not the metaphorical lame duck either, but a real duck that was actually lame. Maybe from stepping on a land mine or something.

        Comment


          #19
          Blend of the new and the old. Scannell being left out is a bigger surprise for me than Ruddock. McCloskey seems to be in the Zebo league of "we don't care how well you're playing, we don't want you". On another note, days like today on twitter, the42, etc, remind you how many very strange people there are out there who spend their lives living as an online troll. Very worrying state of mind.

          Comment


            #20
            Stuart McCloskey can feel incredibly hard done by with that. Probably the for, 12 in Ireland and not even picked. From a Munster perspective, 8 players seems decent. Happy for JOD, deserves his spot. On the other end, I feel N Scannell was unlucky not to get picked.

            I’m very unsure about Sexton as captain. He’s never impressed me when he got the nod and I feel he’s no longer a certain starter for Ireland. Not to mention that he probably won’t even be with the team come 2023. Hope I’m proven wrong and Farrell is obviously more knowledgeable on the subject than I am anyways, so I’ll have faith. Can’t wait to see how this chapter of Irish rugby pans out!

            Comment


              #21
              Delighted for Heffernan Dillane and Jod. I think Heffernan can make the step up . His a great lad in the loose . Dillane is playing great rugby

              surprised Burns got in and no Stuart
              When their numbers dwindled from 50 to 8, the other dwarves began to suspect Hungry

              Comment


                #22
                McCloskey must be wondering what he has to do.

                Think Munster’s representation is about right. Some good players didn’t get selected but they’re not playing well enough. The Ulster lads have shown up well in recent weeks. No harm for a few of our boys to get a kick in the arse (and some more time with Larkham and co.).

                Sexton is a poor enough choice as captain. Suspect that won’t last more than a couple of seasons at most.

                Comment


                  #23
                  Originally posted by jasper View Post

                  Someone on Reddit suggested that picking Sexton now is the best way to guarantee that James Ryan gets it for the World Cup. Interesting perspective though I'm not sure we are that strategic about these things.
                  No problem with Ryan being captan in due course- could have been made vice- to any one of half a dozen who are definite starters.

                  Comment


                    #24
                    At least there's still one Kearney in there we can bitch about.
                    Good things happen to those who wait, though mostly much too late.

                    Comment


                      #25
                      Disheartening to see us naming a player well past his prime and struggling with injury as the captain. It feels like this is going to be a continuation of the Schmidt era rather than the clean slate we need.

                      Comment


                        #26
                        Originally posted by Munsterboy View Post
                        McCloskey must be wondering what he has to do.

                        Think Munster’s representation is about right. Some good players didn’t get selected but they’re not playing well enough. The Ulster lads have shown up well in recent weeks. No harm for a few of our boys to get a kick in the arse (and some more time with Larkham and co.).

                        Sexton is a poor enough choice as captain. Suspect that won’t last more than a couple of seasons at most.
                        At this point, there isn't much he can do. If I'm him I'm on the phone to my agent looking to get myself a nice contract in England, France or Japan. He's 27, in the form of his life and still clearly not in Farrell's plans barring at least two injuries. These guys have short careers, have to strike while the iron is hot.

                        Comment


                          #27
                          Originally posted by Dowlinz View Post
                          Disheartening to see us naming a player well past his prime and struggling with injury as the captain. It feels like this is going to be a continuation of the Schmidt era rather than the clean slate we need.
                          I honestly don't get it. 34, often injured and known for being petulant with the refs. People have been praising his demeanor as leinster captain while seemingly forgetting that its easy to be laid back when you're dishing out beatings to almost every team you play.

                          Comment


                            #28
                            Very surprised that McCloskey is not in. Dave Kearney is in presumably because of form. But I'd think McCloskey's form has been of much bigger importance in Ulster's rise this season than Kearney's in Leinster.
                            "I don't believe in fairytales," O'Connell once told me, "even though it feels like I've been lucky enough to live through a few. However it ends, I'll feel lucky."
                            Donald McRae, Guardian Rugby, October 2015

                            Comment


                              #29
                              New coach, same crap
                              Commemorate Nevin Spence here -
                              http://www.mycharity.ie/event/munste..._nevin_spence/

                              Comment


                                #30
                                Who did ye want as Captain? I don’t see Sexton being with Ireland for the next World Cup but Farrell coming in needs a leader for this season . Yes Johnny is out injured at the moment and when his on his game it’s world class . I think his due back soon .
                                If Sexton is fit his by far our best 10 at the moment . The others will get chances to prove themselves . If we’re only looking towards the next World Cup 10 their lads could’ve been cut now . We don’t have the quantity or quality of players like France to do that .
                                When their numbers dwindled from 50 to 8, the other dwarves began to suspect Hungry

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X