2020 Guinness 6 Nations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mumhain View Post
    The amount of verbals coming from the English team is incredible. Not sure I've ever heard as much noise coming from a team. They do it in a smart way, too. They're not screaming directly at the ref, but you have about 6 guys, very vocally congratulating the guy attempting to pilfer, just before a penalty is given. Noticed Saracens and their under 20's doing it as well, so it is clearly something that their coaches encourage. Absolutely every decision is celebrated, as if they've just won the euro-millions.

Do any psychologists or couch-psychologists here, have an insight into how it affects referees and opposition?
    It's white noise to me
    Gwan Joe!!

Comment

This is bad news for the game in general. One of the things I really like about going to rugby matches is the fact that we're not segregated and crowd violence is extremely rare.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...good-behaviour

Eddie Jones has lashed out at Scotland supporters for being disrespectful after England’s head of performance, Neil Craig, was struck on the head by a beer bottle and Owen Farrell was repeatedly booed when kicking at goal.

Craig was hit as England arrived at Murrayfield before their 13-6 victory. It is understood the Scottish Rugby Union apologised to the England management before kick-off. Jones was far from impressed, however, and equally incensed the crowd did not stay silent when Farrell was taking his kicks, as tradition dictates. He missed three penalties but scored eight points as England got their Six Nations back on track and England clinched the Calcutta Cup for the first time in three years.

“We weren’t expecting beer bottles to be thrown, that’s a new trick,” Jones said. “It’s a pretty good achievement, throwing beer bottles, you’ve got to be brave to throw a beer bottle. Neil has a hard head, I know that, and there’s not much inside it. He will be all right.”

Asked if England would be making a formal complaint, Jones added: “It’s not going to do anything is it. Everybody knows about it, so someone can do something about it. It’s not good behaviour, is it.”

Jones has history with Scotland supporters having been vociferously booed during England’s defeat at Murrayfield two years ago. He travelled by train the following day and was involved in an incident outside a Manchester station in which he was repeatedly sworn at.

Asked about the crowd booing Farrell, Jones said: “Rugby did have a culture of respect and if there is a new level of respect in Scotland then we have to put up with it. Obviously they think there is. If that’s how the Scottish fans will be respectful then we have to acknowledge it and get on with it. It was an old-fashioned Calcutta Cup game with swirling wind and an aggressive crowd without manners – I thought you were supposed to show kickers respect?”
      Tis but a scratch.

Comment

Originally posted by mr chips View Post
        This is bad news for the game in general. One of the things I really like about going to rugby matches is the fact that we're not segregated and crowd violence is extremely rare.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...good-behaviour

Eddie Jones has lashed out at Scotland supporters for being disrespectful after England’s head of performance, Neil Craig, was struck on the head by a beer bottle and Owen Farrell was repeatedly booed when kicking at goal.

Craig was hit as England arrived at Murrayfield before their 13-6 victory. It is understood the Scottish Rugby Union apologised to the England management before kick-off. Jones was far from impressed, however, and equally incensed the crowd did not stay silent when Farrell was taking his kicks, as tradition dictates. He missed three penalties but scored eight points as England got their Six Nations back on track and England clinched the Calcutta Cup for the first time in three years.

“We weren’t expecting beer bottles to be thrown, that’s a new trick,” Jones said. “It’s a pretty good achievement, throwing beer bottles, you’ve got to be brave to throw a beer bottle. Neil has a hard head, I know that, and there’s not much inside it. He will be all right.”

Asked if England would be making a formal complaint, Jones added: “It’s not going to do anything is it. Everybody knows about it, so someone can do something about it. It’s not good behaviour, is it.”

Jones has history with Scotland supporters having been vociferously booed during England’s defeat at Murrayfield two years ago. He travelled by train the following day and was involved in an incident outside a Manchester station in which he was repeatedly sworn at.

Asked about the crowd booing Farrell, Jones said: “Rugby did have a culture of respect and if there is a new level of respect in Scotland then we have to put up with it. Obviously they think there is. If that’s how the Scottish fans will be respectful then we have to acknowledge it and get on with it. It was an old-fashioned Calcutta Cup game with swirling wind and an aggressive crowd without manners – I thought you were supposed to show kickers respect?”
        Pretty disappointing incident alright, there’s an element of reaping what has been sown here though
        Only fools and drunks argue over everything. If you don’t have a hangover the next day you’re not the drunk...

Comment

I know Jones can be an arsehole and is fond of stirring things up before and after games, but the key difference is that's still confined to the "keep it verbal" principle. Once we're in the realm of missiles being thrown, even if this was (presumably) a plastic rather than a glass bottle, it creates a precedent which can easily lead to more extreme / dangerous acts. Stuff like this shouldn't be dismissed. It has to be nipped in the bud and if possible an exemplary sanction imposed on the perpetrator by both the game's authorities and the civil authorities, i.e. being banned from all rugby matches and ideally arrested and charged with assault.
          Tis but a scratch.

Comment

I know Jones can be an arsehole and is fond of stirring things up before and after games, but the key difference is that's still confined to the "keep it verbal" principle. Once we're in the realm of missiles being thrown, even if this was (presumably) a plastic rather than a glass bottle, it creates a precedent which can easily lead to more extreme / dangerous acts. Stuff like this shouldn't be dismissed. It has to be nipped in the bud and if possible an exemplary sanction imposed on the perpetrator by both the game's authorities and the civil authorities, i.e. being banned from all rugby matches and ideally arrested and charged with assault.
            Couldn’t agree more, just observing that Jones is an absolute div.
            Only fools and drunks argue over everything. If you don’t have a hangover the next day you’re not the drunk...

Comment

Teddy Thomas again- fantastic player- this could get very ugly for Italy.

Comment

France are a bit like an avalanche in attack.
                Tis but a scratch.

Comment

Italy pull one back! Great patience and control reaps the reward. Fine conversion from the touchline to go with it. Maybe we'll have a contest after all.
                  Tis but a scratch.

Comment

13-10 now, getting interesting ...
                    Tis but a scratch.

Comment

That can't have happened in many games - N'tamack managed to hit the crossbar with a previous attempted placekick, then managed to score that coversion with the ball bouncing off first the left and then the right upright! HT 23-10.
                      Tis but a scratch.

Comment

Eddie Jones has the same skill of deflection as Trump

His much vaunted 'greatest team to ever play the game' couldnt get on top of the worst scottish team ive ever seen and he uses an act of thuggery to distract.

Hes been doing it for years
                        I am the million man.

Comment

Video in twitter showing a plastic bottle falling onto top of english team bus and bouncing off, with a commentary to say it was blown off a gantry. Accidental apparently---In contrast to Eddie's narrative.
                          "Fineen Wycherley was everywhere. When I watched this video back late on Saturday night I half expected to look up from my laptop to find him in my kitchen ' TRK Nov 3rd 2019 following Cardiff v Munster

Comment

Originally posted by FORWARD.... View Post
                            Video in twitter showing a plastic bottle falling onto top of english team bus and bouncing off, with a commentary to say it was blown off a gantry. Accidental apparently---In contrast to Eddie's narrative.
                            If that's genuinely all that happened and Jones has conflated an innocuous incident like that into a member of his coaching team being struck on the head by a deliberately thrown bottle, then he's the one who should be sanctioned for bringing the game into disrepute. I was going to ask for a link to the video, but I suppose it won't prove or disprove anything one way or the other - realistically, Neil Craig will have to confirm that it happened the way it's been reported for it to be credible. But the SRU will have to follow it up one way or another now, as it's in their interests to either do all they can to root out the individual concerned, or alternatively refute a spurious and malicious allegation.
                            Tis but a scratch.

Comment

Anyway - full time in Paris 35-22. France seemed to go to sleep for a large chunk of the second half, much as they did against England last week. It'll be interesting to see if they will have the capacity to fight back from behind or play with maximum intensity for the full 80 to protect a much narrower lead against either Wales or ourselves.
                              Tis but a scratch.

Comment

Anyway - full time in Paris 35-22. France seemed to go to sleep for a large chunk of the second half, much as they did against England last week. It'll be interesting to see if they will have the capacity to fight back from behind or play with maximum intensity for the full 80 to protect a much narrower lead against either Wales or ourselves.
                                France were very effective to begin with, and I really feared the worst. They seemed to start trying to play differently once they had a lead and left Italy back into it. Hard to know what to make of France this year, flashes of brilliance, and in DuPont (lovely lads for second try), and Thomas they have some gems in their team.

Comment

Working...
                                X