Leave a comment:

• Waterfordlad
    replied
    He might pitch up at Leinster

Leave a comment:

• Cowboy
    replied
    Originally posted by jagawayagain View Post

Would love to see him back too, but on the other hand if it’s blocking Fineen, or O Connor or someone who has more years left, would prefer it didn’t happen-
    Or Snyman happening.

Leave a comment:

• jagawayagain
    replied
    Originally posted by Finnegan79 View Post

I was as well, he was one of those players who functions as the fiery heart of a team; always gives everything he has on the day and can influence a game thru sheer will. Had he been a few years younger, I have zero doubt a central contract would have been forthcoming from the IRFU. If reports are accurate and his deal with Rcaing is up at the end of the season, and he is still in good shape, I'd be thrilled if Munster brought him back on a 2-3 year deal to close out his career. I don't think Racing is going to extend big money to someone his age, but i feel he has some serious rugby still left in him.
    Would love to see him back too, but on the other hand if it’s blocking Fineen, or O Connor or someone who has more years left, would prefer it didn’t happen-

Leave a comment:

• Finnegan79
    replied
    Sad as I was to see Donnacha go, fully agree with Finnegan, age and alternatives made it a hard choice for IRFU, Racing offering (which I Hope was) big money made it an easy on for him.
    I was as well, he was one of those players who functions as the fiery heart of a team; always gives everything he has on the day and can influence a game thru sheer will. Had he been a few years younger, I have zero doubt a central contract would have been forthcoming from the IRFU. If reports are accurate and his deal with Rcaing is up at the end of the season, and he is still in good shape, I'd be thrilled if Munster brought him back on a 2-3 year deal to close out his career. I don't think Racing is going to extend big money to someone his age, but i feel he has some serious rugby still left in him.

Leave a comment:

• Waterfordlad
    replied
    Plus Donncha wanted to experience playing overseas too

Leave a comment:

• jagawayagain
    replied
    Sad as I was to see Donnacha go, fully agree with Finnegan, age and alternatives made it a hard choice for IRFU, Racing offering (which I Hope was) big money made it an easy on for him.

Leave a comment:

• Finnegan79
    replied
    Originally posted by Sulla View Post

One over 30 who didn’t get a contract was Donnacha Ryan, as D’Arcy said this week that was one that got away
    To be honest, i'm one of the people that agreed with that decision, his age cut against him, his injury profile wasn't good at that time, and IIRC he didn't play for Racing until December or January of that season due to injury, so it looked justified. Now, has he been superb since he got there but hindsight is 20/20. It is too bad they couldn't find a way to keep him in ireland, but Racing made a large offer and Munster couldn't match w/o help from the IRFU, which is something i would like to see instead of central contracts for the big name guys. The Welsh do that, right, with the region picking up some and the WRU topping it up ? I think that could be a good way going forward to spread the money available around to more players instead of the IRFU doling out big money to a select number of guys and essentially mandating that they get selected.

Leave a comment:

• FORWARD....
    replied
    The Best piece above provides some fascinating insights in how the attention to detail that served Joe so well became megalomania- and how little role (or encouragement there was ) for their own views as top class professional players. Best still being the humble punishment and blame taking guy- despite knowing where it lies.
    I'd be more impressed if he said it to Joe at the time. He was the captain.

Leave a comment:

• Cowboy
    replied
    The Best piece above provides some fascinating insights in how the attention to detail that served Joe so well became megalomania- and how little role (or encouragement there was ) for their own views as top class professional players. Best still being the humble punishment and blame taking guy- despite knowing where it lies.
    Micromanaging is bloody wearying. His top generals told him stop doing something and it lasted what? 2 or 3 games and he was doing it again? That's going to grate players, workers, anyone.

He stayed on too long, thanks for the memories.

Leave a comment:

• jagawayagain
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Cowboy
    replied
    Originally posted by rathbaner View Post

And D'Arcy blames Munster!!
    Schmidt derangement syndrome

Leave a comment:

• FORWARD....
    replied
    All a bit embarrassing and unseemly, I think.

Avoiding the selection fiasco, allowing Joe to bring injured players on tour, understimating the opposition, not seeing what was obvious during the warm up games.

And as for Rory Best's comments!!!!

At least Andy Farrell knows he won't be getting Nucifora to watch out for him and that he'll be copping the blame after future poor performances.

Did anyone explain why Sexton was chosen as captain over POM?

Leave a comment:

• rathbaner
    replied
    Originally posted by Sulla View Post

One over 30 who didn’t get a contract was Donnacha Ryan, as D’Arcy said this week that was one that got away
    And D'Arcy blames Munster!!

Leave a comment:

• Sulla
    replied
    Originally posted by Finnegan79 View Post

That is the elephant in the room; why did Nucifora and the IRFU hand out central deals to guys well into their 30s ? Why were some players undroppable despite poor form ? Did the fact that they were on those deals entitle them to selection despite being out of form ? Any report not dealing with those aspects of Joe Schmidt's tenure isn't worth the paper it is printed on. Maybe those questions are answered in the non public version, idk.

One has to wonder how much 2018 sort of papered over the cracks visible in the 2016 and 2017 6N where they finished 3rd in 2016 and were awarded 2nd in 2017 due to points differential over France and Scotland.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X