No announcement yet.

So what happens next?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Central contracts lead to a hierarchy of players with some being elevated above their peers. A different way to fund the bigger contracts should be found. All players paid in the same manner with more money going to the provinces to do that. All players are essentially paid by the IRFU anyway.

Central contracts lead to a stifling of the player pool and the 'undroppables'. Don't expect many changes in the match day 23 in February.
    Commemorate Nevin Spence here -
    http://www.mycharity.ie/event/munste..._nevin_spence/

Comment

Originally posted by Balla Boy View Post

It would only be in the minority of cases, but would that structure give enough security to someone like Murray by the time they sign their final contract?

If we're looking at a guy of say 29/30 with one more big 4 year deal in him, is that going to cut it?
      It might not, but that’s why I’d want it to more lucrative after someone has held a central contract, or maybe you have one year deals early on, and two and then one year deals for experienced players. A fit Murray (or Kearney for that matter) playing as well as they ever did, is one matter, nursing formerly outstanding players through to retirement is another matter. If players want to get a big co tact elsewhere, two years out from the next World Cup, and pass up the opportunity of playing at that level, then I’d let them go, rather than gum the system up with players who might not even last that long. sounds tough, but I think the sole point of central contacts is to protect the standard of the national team, not boost provinces, reward loyal service etc.

Comment

Originally posted by jagawayagain View Post

It might not, but that’s why I’d want it to more lucrative after someone has held a central contract, or maybe you have one year deals early on, and two and then one year deals for experienced players. A fit Murray (or Kearney for that matter) playing as well as they ever did, is one matter, nursing formerly outstanding players through to retirement is another matter. If players want to get a big co tact elsewhere, two years out from the next World Cup, and pass up the opportunity of playing at that level, then I’d let them go, rather than gum the system up with players who might not even last that long. sounds tough, but I think the sole point of central contacts is to protect the standard of the national team, not boost provinces, reward loyal service etc.

Again looking at Murray though, there's a guy just signed a 4 year deal. He's 30, should be in the prime of his career (form, game plan transitions and all the rest aside). Would have had big bucks on the table in France etc.

I see the rationale of what you're saying in terms of no having a stagnant player group etc, but one and two year contracts aren't going to stand up in an international market. They leave all of the risk with the player, none with the employer.

I think Central Contracts have some down sides in terms of us persevering with players who should be dropped, but whatever replaced them has to be fit to compete when Lorenzetti comes for a 28 year old Tadgh Furlong in two years time.

Yes, test rugby and world cups are important currency in our system. But players have wives, kids, mortgages and short careers too.
        "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

Originally posted by Balla Boy View Post

Yes, test rugby and world cups are important currency in our system. But players have wives, kids, mortgages and short careers too.
          Absolutely- and I really would want us to be good employers, rather than exploitative- and that’s why I’m basically in favour of central contracts (especially if tweaked), and players rights to take their talent elsewhere. What I don’t like is players feeling they have to do that, or use the threat of it to get a contract they may not deserve.

Comment

Two matches in Australia next July - Brisbane July 4th, SCG July 11th.

November 2020 will bring one-off matches against South Africa, Australia and Japan.

Comment

You gotta give it to Francis, he has a point but he is a wummer supreme really....

https://www.independent.ie/sport/col...-38690422.html

alas they are just north munster now.......

Comment

Originally posted by Daithi View Post
                You gotta give it to Francis, he has a point but he is a wummer supreme really....

https://www.independent.ie/sport/col...-38690422.html
                Sure why wouldn’t he WUM when you’re posting a link here and giving him clicks for his click bait?

If you want to discuss the content, maybe just post a précis here but assuming it’s the usual Franno guff it’s probably not worth the effort.

Comment

Originally posted by Munsterboy View Post

Sure why wouldn’t he WUM when you’re posting a link here and giving him clicks for his click bait?

If you want to discuss the content, maybe just post a précis here but assuming it’s the usual Franno guff it’s probably not worth the effort.
                  Because as I stated in my original post 'HE HAS A POINT'.

with all due respect I've far better things to do with my time than summarise articles for you, that are merely a click away ;)

Comment

You probably could have summarised the point he was making in the same few lines and the same amount of time you took to say you weren't going to do that.
                    Tis but a scratch.

Comment

Originally posted by mr chips View Post
                      You probably could have summarised the point he was making in the same few lines and the same amount of time you took to say you weren't going to do that.
                      Ditto!!

Comment

Ditto!!
                        You’re making it worse.

Comment

Ditto!!
                          Nope - I haven't opened it.

Tis but a scratch.

Comment

Originally posted by mr chips View Post

Nope - I haven't opened it.

Ha, ha very good!!

Comment

Originally posted by Jackie Brown View Post
                              Central contracts lead to a hierarchy of players with some being elevated above their peers. A different way to fund the bigger contracts should be found. All players paid in the same manner with more money going to the provinces to do that. All players are essentially paid by the IRFU anyway.

Central contracts lead to a stifling of the player pool and the 'undroppables'. Don't expect many changes in the match day 23 in February.
                              Central contracts aren't the issue; it is the not dropping underperformers which is. The idea of central contracts to keep guys playing in Ireland is a good one, but playing them b/c of the central contract when other players are clearly in better form is an issue. TBH, after the 6N, Schmidt was coaching like a guy afraid of his own shadow. His big moves were dropping Toner, a guy who wouldn't get into any other tier 1 squad, and picking Luke McGrath over Marmion and Cooney for no good reason other than that he plays with Sexton at Leinster. Stockdale has been found out defensively; teams have a go at him on a regular basis and profit from doing so. Bringing Carbery was lunacy given the fact that he required surgery a month before the WC began; Henshaw seems as if he's always coming back from an injury; Kearney has had a fantastic career but he's past it at this point.

If the IRFU abandon "play in Ireland to play for Ireland", they'll find out fairly quickly what life is like at the SRU where anything above 4th in the 6N is considered a good result.

Comment

Originally posted by Finnegan79 View Post

Central contracts aren't the issue; it is the not dropping underperformers which is. The idea of central contracts to keep guys playing in Ireland is a good one, but playing them b/c of the central contract when other players are clearly in better form is an issue. TBH, after the 6N, Schmidt was coaching like a guy afraid of his own shadow. His big moves were dropping Toner, a guy who wouldn't get into any other tier 1 squad, and picking Luke McGrath over Marmion and Cooney for no good reason other than that he plays with Sexton at Leinster. Stockdale has been found out defensively; teams have a go at him on a regular basis and profit from doing so. Bringing Carbery was lunacy given the fact that he required surgery a month before the WC began; Henshaw seems as if he's always coming back from an injury; Kearney has had a fantastic career but he's past it at this point.

If the IRFU abandon "play in Ireland to play for Ireland", they'll find out fairly quickly what life is like at the SRU where anything above 4th in the 6N is considered a good result.
                                I would agree with Jackie Brown that central contracts are part of the problem (though not the whole problem.) There will always be pressure on any coach, no matter how overt or subtle, from the IRFU to select those who are on a central contract ahead of players who are not. Otherwise it becomes difficult to explain away the paying of big bucks to players who are not doing the job, compared to their non-contract counterparts. However, central contracts have proved useful in taking care of top players with proper rest periods etc. I don't think there is an easy solution to this issue. The current system does seem to favour retention of players who may be past their use-by date, or are obvioulsy out of form.

Erse end of nowhere

Comment

Working...
                                X