So what happens next?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Munsterboy View Post

What NZ, and the current England side, have is the all round talent and ability to play whatever way they want.

Defending narrow? Ok, we’ll get it wide quickly and exploit the space.
    Defending wide? We’ll use our carriers or strike runners to go through the middle and around the fringes, offloading like a bunch of Fijians.
    Coming up hard and fast? We’ll put it into the corners and turn you around.

Ireland could go through some teams with relentless carrying around the fringes, they couldn’t go through the middle, they couldn’t go around anybody, and their kicking strategy relied on box kicks that everybody learned to deal with by shepherding the chasers. Far too one dimensional.

Not placing the blame for that all on Sexton but he had his limitations, particularly in his kicking game. We definitely need a 10 who can vary our game more, plus a better centre pairing/fullback to give him options.

As per Murray, I suspect Sexton could adapt to and deliver most game plans. He's reaching the tail end of his career at this level, but he's no less intelligent or skilled a player than Farrell or Ford.

"We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

Originally posted by Balla Boy View Post

As per Murray, I suspect Sexton could adapt to and deliver most game plans. He's reaching the tail end of his career at this level, but he's no less intelligent or skilled a player than Farrell or Ford.
      He hasn’t got much gas these days, which limits his running game. And he’s never had a strong territorial kicking game. Good in all other aspects but his age has caught up with him.

Comment

He hasn’t got much gas these days, which limits his running game. And he’s never had a strong territorial kicking game. Good in all other aspects but his age has caught up with him.
        Not just age, has shipped too much punishment, especially in France. His physique (say compared with Wilkinson or Farrell) hasn’t helped him ensure this, and he doesn’t shirk contact, never has.

Comment

Originally posted by Balla Boy View Post

He's not as fast as Ford, he's not as tough as Farrell. As skilled and intelligent, yes but physically he's lacking and I reckon this impacts on what gameplan he can implement and deliver. Increasingly so.
          Last edited by Mr Snrub; 24th-October-2019, 16:13.

Comment

There are options in the back line that we never got a chance to explore last year with Joey injured from January and Chris Farrell out for lengthy stretches as well. Those two would change the way we play because they've got good hands, and a good mix of guile, power and pace. Add Simon Zebo and we'd be looking very lively.
            Munster – Champions of Europe 2006, 2008, 2020.

Comment

What happens next?

We go back to,

1. Winning 6N 3 of every 10 times
              2. Winning a GS once a decade
              3. Winning 2 of every 5 SH test match
              4. Beating England, 2 of every 5
              5. Beating Wales 3 of every 5
              6 Beating Scot 4 of every 5
              7. Beating Italy 5 of 5
              8. Leinster wining the Pro14 4 of every 5
              9. Leinster winning the HEC 1 of every 5
              10. Munster making the HEC SF, 5 out of 5
              11.IRFU producing Strategic Plan saying we're great craic altogether.
              12. Ireland failing at the RWC QF's .. forever..
              Nulla semper amicus, servivit mihi, in iniuriam mihi neminem quem non persolvi

Comment

Originally posted by jagawayagain View Post

Not just age, has shipped too much punishment, especially in France. His physique (say compared with Wilkinson or Farrell) hasn’t helped him endure this, and he doesn’t shirk contact, never has.

Comment

Originally posted by rathbaner View Post
                  There are options in the back line that we never got a chance to explore last year with Joey injured from January and Chris Farrell out for lengthy stretches as well. Those two would change the way we play because they've got good hands, and a good mix of guile, power and pace. Add Simon Zebo and we'd be looking very lively.
                  Like your optimism- but unless Zeebs comes back he won’t be considered.

Comment

We’ve a good pack and plenty of good younger forwards coming through.

Key is how much more we can get out of Murray and how we develop our 10/12/13 axis, and 15 too.

If we keep picking a lad as limited as Henshaw at 12 we’ll go nowhere. Farrell is an option - big lad with surprisingly good hands - and McCloskey is similar. Put a second playmaker at 13 or 15 and you’ve got a bit more variety.

Comment

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rug...move-1.4060634

As the quality of the Irish national team has decreased, it seems like there has been an equal exponential decay in the quality of Irish rugby journalism. Thank god for Murry Kinsella, Neil Treacy and Cian Tracey. Every other journalist seems to be either: (A) Coming out with controversial "hot-takes" as to why Ireland lost, for the sake of coming out with controversial "hot-takes" as to why Ireland lost, (B) Blaming Ireland's form on the amount of players picked from provinces they don't support or (C) Claiming that all of Ireland's selection decisions were spot on and that they could have done no more at the world cup.

This a fairly astonishing article from Thornley. I wouldn't mind if the premise of the article was that Isa Nacewa's opinion was wrong, but if comes across to me more as "How dare Isa Nacewa speak openly and candidly, when asked for his opinion".

Comment

If we keep picking a lad as limited as Henshaw at 12 we’ll go nowhere. Farrell is an option - big lad with surprisingly good hands - and McCloskey is similar. Put a second playmaker at 13 or 15 and you’ve got a bit more variety.
                        Agree regarding, Henshaw. It's not the biggest of our worries, but the Ringrose and Henshaw just lacks a little something, imo. They are prototype Schmidt players, in that they are relatively solid in most areas of the game, but they don't excel in any one area.

I would describe both players as being more glue players, rather than guys you build your attack around. Ringrose is very dangerous when he has space near the ruck or space out-wide, but I think sometime he is guilty of trying to cut-in a little too much. I think Ringrose is at his best when he is creating space for himself, rather than when he is creating space for others. It's never in a million years going to happen, but I would like to see Ringrose get a shot on the wing for Leinster/Ireland.

I also agree regarding McCloskey and Farrell. I think both are superior passers to Henshaw and both offer a lot more power and ability to draw defenses to get tighter. The only clear advantage I see Henshaw having over them is his kicking and fielding and I'm not sure this matters a whole lot at centre.

Comment

Originally posted by Mumhain View Post

Agree regarding, Henshaw. It's not the biggest of our worries, but the Ringrose and Henshaw just lacks a little something, imo. They are prototype Schmidt players, in that they are relatively solid in most areas of the game, but they don't excel in any one area.

I would describe both players as being more glue players, rather than guys you build your attack around. Ringrose is very dangerous when he has space near the ruck or space out-wide, but I think sometime he is guilty of trying to cut-in a little too much. I think Ringrose is at his best when he is creating space for himself, rather than when he is creating space for others. It's never in a million years going to happen, but I would like to see Ringrose get a shot on the wing for Leinster/Ireland.

I also agree regarding McCloskey and Farrell. I think both are superior passers to Henshaw and both offer a lot more power and ability to draw defenses to get tighter. The only clear advantage I see Henshaw having over them is his kicking and fielding and I'm not sure this matters a whole lot at centre.
                          Ringrose now looks to me less than the player he was- and I think that’s the formulaic approach that became the mantra at camp Joe- far too soon to give up on him, on either of them - camp Farrell will be interesting, Catt May make a huge difference to players like Ringrose.

Comment

Originally posted by Mumhain View Post
                            https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rug...move-1.4060634

As the quality of the Irish national team has decreased, it seems like there has been an equal exponential decay in the quality of Irish rugby journalism. Thank god for Murry Kinsella, Neil Treacy and Cian Tracey. Every other journalist seems to be either: (A) Coming out with controversial "hot-takes" as to why Ireland lost, for the sake of coming out with controversial "hot-takes" as to why Ireland lost, (B) Blaming Ireland's form on the amount of players picked from provinces they don't support or (C) Claiming that all of Ireland's selection decisions were spot on and that they could have done no more at the world cup.

This a fairly astonishing article from Thornley. I wouldn't mind if the premise of the article was that Isa Nacewa's opinion was wrong, but if comes across to me more as "How dare Isa Nacewa speak openly and candidly, when asked for his opinion".
                            Agreed. It was an odd article. He gave no opinion on the substance of what Nacewa said (and not sure I would even agree with Nacewa but it was an interesting and legit take) it was more as you say how dare he betray Schmidt like this.

Comment

Originally posted by jagawayagain View Post

Like your optimism- but unless Zeebs comes back he won’t be considered.
                              Dont think thats certain.....there has always been flexibility and who knows what Farrell thinks. I'd say its unlikely he will get back in but if he starts tearing up trees in France he would surely be considered.

Comment

Unburden the players and let them at least look like playing representative rugby is an enjoyable thing to do

It might never come out in the wash, and there's too many arse lickers right now to question it but this world cup was worse than losing to the pumas and right up there with 2007 and Eddie's french industrial estate adventures.

It didn't look a happy camp all year, they all looked wrecked and pissed off most of the time

Make playing and following that Irish team fun again for the love of Christ. Drop a few old men, bring in a few teenagers and 20s and build a new culture

Be brave, empower the players to lead the setup again. Don't put all your faith on one pair of shoulders, don't rush, just find the Irish team identity (not Joeball, not Farrellball) and let them get back going again.

The Leader joking was scarily apt in the end, we watched parts of the UFO fall off before our very eyes over the last month because half the country could see yerman was out of ideas and fhe other half were so besotted with him they'd cut you for ever mentioning he's human like us all.

Just start again, forget everything that's gone before. Start from zero.
                                I am the million man.

Comment

Working...
                                X