X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Balla Boy
    replied
    Originally posted by Munsterboy View Post

Yep, and Gatland was sacked by Ireland after Lens, and look at him now. Some people learn from failure.
    I've nothing against people being fired. My point was that his post sacking CV, and claim to the job, rests largely on what has been for the last 12 months a failed project.

Eddie Jones has been sacked from jobs and there's a reasonable chance he's going to go and win a world cup for England.

All I was saying was that if Farrell walked into an interview room today to discuss an international coaching job, he'd have to make a hell of a pitch.

Leave a comment:

• Balla Boy
    replied
    Originally posted by In Joe we trust View Post

The Japan coaching ticket basically had the players fully available for the last 9+ months a nearly all were pulled out of super rugby and basically played/trained as a club side to get to where they are.

And? Wales didn't have that and they're better than us too. NZ work properly to align what the Super sides are doing with the aims of the ABs, and that works fine.

Leave a comment:

• In Joe we trust
    replied
    Originally posted by Finnegan79 View Post

true, but they weren't working with the caliber of players Ireland have; the Sunvolves and the Japanese league teams aren't the quality of the provinces. Ireland went to Japan on tour two summers ago and they beat the Japanese pretty hard both times. 2 years on, and the result was much different. The ball skills those players have compared to Ireland(or what Ireland are allowed to do with the ball) is night and day.
    Pat Lams team were the closest we've had to a Japanese style of rugby and that took a long time to deliver for them. To get to that level of ball handling/skill's requires training day in day out for a long time for that ability to be harnessed.

Leave a comment:

• Munsterboy
    replied
    Originally posted by whimpersnap View Post
    So was Lancaster and Leinster have won a Heineken Cup since. Or whatever those posh twats call it now.
    Yep, and Gatland was sacked by Ireland after Lens, and look at him now. Some people learn from failure.

Leave a comment:

• whimpersnap
    replied
    Originally posted by Balla Boy View Post
    Farrell was sacked from the England set up in 2015.
    So was Lancaster and Leinster have won a Heineken Cup since. Or whatever those posh twats call it now.

Leave a comment:

• whimpersnap
    replied
    Originally posted by Ron Swanson View Post
    He also hasn’t selected Zeebs for a single game
    You'd hope he's been on to him already sounding him out about a return home (to Leinster).

Leave a comment:

• Finnegan79
    replied
    Originally posted by In Joe we trust View Post

The Japan coaching ticket basically had the players fully available for the last 9+ months a nearly all were pulled out of super rugby and basically played/trained as a club side to get to where they are.
    true, but they weren't working with the caliber of players Ireland have; the Sunvolves and the Japanese league teams aren't the quality of the provinces. Ireland went to Japan on tour two summers ago and they beat the Japanese pretty hard both times. 2 years on, and the result was much different. The ball skills those players have compared to Ireland(or what Ireland are allowed to do with the ball) is night and day.

Leave a comment:

• In Joe we trust
    replied
    Originally posted by Finnegan79 View Post

Agreed, 100% Tbh, the IRFU shou'd have "sacrificed" this 6N before tying themselves down to a coach. The Japan coaching ticket with the players Ireland have would be something to see. Getting the ball wide in under 5 passes ? Holy ****, it'd be a Christmas Miracle !!!!

Leave a comment:

• Ron Swanson
    replied
    Originally posted by Cowboy View Post
    its not like hes being pulled from working with Cork Con or something
    that would be the sort of pedigree we could all get behind

Leave a comment:

• jagawayagain
    replied
    As several have said here, and on another thread- his first selection will be very interesting. Would like to see him attend as many provincial games as possible, and tour training with Catt to introduce him. He did so at the beginning- and I thought it was a very sensible move (coached/shadowed at Munster briefly didn’t he?), good time to glad hand and do some media where he comes across as his own man and speaks his mind.

Leave a comment:

• Munsterboy
    replied

Hopefully he can see what went wrong and set about changing it, god knows the guy hes replacing was more afraid of change than any coach in living memory.

(he deserves his crack, plenty wont even give him that)
    Happy to give him a crack, but if we don’t see change (not even success, just change that can potentially lead to success) in 12 months we can’t mess around. That’s all I’m saying.

I’m hoping he has his own, significantly different, ideas about how the game should be played.

Leave a comment:

• Balla Boy
    replied

Hopefully he can see what went wrong and set about changing it, god knows the guy hes replacing was more afraid of change than any coach in living memory.

Hopefully he can. I just don't agree that he deserves the job. He's got it, so all the best to him and I hope he does well. But the IRFU placed their bet too early, and now find themselves in a tricky spot I think.

Leave a comment:

• Cowboy
    replied

I agree. He's been praised by Gatland for his work on the Lions. He's also, across two world cups, been a central part of the biggest failures in both.

I'm not railing against the guy. He seems very sound, and there's every reason to believe he's quite capable.

All I'm saying is he wouldn't have gotten the job at all if he hadn't been part of Joe's set up, and being part of that set up he wouldn't have got it today if he hadn't already been signed up.

He's been presented as a continuity candidate from a set up that has been on the slide for a year. Rightly or wrongly he has a limited window in which to fix that perception.

I can see why the IRFU thought it a good idea to appoint him at the time, even that far out.

But lets be honest - having players coming out of that last world cup, and the 6 nations and warm up games that came before them - and going back into an Ireland changing room to hear largely the same voices talking to them is not what anyone would describe as ideal.

Leave a comment:

• Balla Boy
    replied

2 lions tours as defence coach
    2 RWCs as a coach
    A grand slam

Been involved in a few bits and bobs to be fair to him Balla, its not like hes being pulled from working with Cork Con or something

EDIT, furthermore, you just know the narrative is going to be get Leo or Lancaster in as solid Leinster boys in charge the second the opportunity arises. I dont subscribe to that, and it'll be Wummiskey and the usual suspects sharpening knives before hes even been given a crack

I agree. He's been praised by Gatland for his work on the Lions. He's also, across two world cups, been a central part of the biggest failures in both.

I'm not railing against the guy. He seems very sound, and there's every reason to believe he's quite capable.

All I'm saying is he wouldn't have gotten the job at all if he hadn't been part of Joe's set up, and being part of that set up he wouldn't have got it today if he hadn't already been signed up.

He's been presented as a continuity candidate from a set up that has been on the slide for a year. Rightly or wrongly he has a limited window in which to fix that perception.

I can see why the IRFU thought it a good idea to appoint him at the time, even that far out.

But lets be honest - having players coming out of that last world cup, and the 6 nations and warm up games that came before them - and going back into an Ireland changing room to hear largely the same voices talking to them is not what anyone would describe as ideal.

Leave a comment:

• Cowboy
    replied

I don't think anyone is saying different. Just that if we're a year down the line and things look the same, people's patience is likely to get thin quickly.

I suspect that's true of any coach appointed in this day and age though.
    2 lions tours as defence coach
    2 RWCs as a coach
    A grand slam

Been involved in a few bits and bobs to be fair to him Balla, its not like hes being pulled from working with Cork Con or something

EDIT, furthermore, you just know the narrative is going to be get Leo or Lancaster in as solid Leinster boys in charge the second the opportunity arises. I dont subscribe to that, and it'll be Wummiskey and the usual suspects sharpening knives before hes even been given a crack
    Last edited by Cowboy; 20-October-2019, 10:36.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X