Farrell Out!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cowboy View Post

Hopefully he can see what went wrong and set about changing it, god knows the guy hes replacing was more afraid of change than any coach in living memory.

(he deserves his crack, plenty wont even give him that)

Hopefully he can. I just don't agree that he deserves the job. He's got it, so all the best to him and I hope he does well. But the IRFU placed their bet too early, and now find themselves in a tricky spot I think.
    "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

Hopefully he can see what went wrong and set about changing it, god knows the guy hes replacing was more afraid of change than any coach in living memory.

(he deserves his crack, plenty wont even give him that)
      Happy to give him a crack, but if we don’t see change (not even success, just change that can potentially lead to success) in 12 months we can’t mess around. That’s all I’m saying.

I’m hoping he has his own, significantly different, ideas about how the game should be played.

Comment

As several have said here, and on another thread- his first selection will be very interesting. Would like to see him attend as many provincial games as possible, and tour training with Catt to introduce him. He did so at the beginning- and I thought it was a very sensible move (coached/shadowed at Munster briefly didn’t he?), good time to glad hand and do some media where he comes across as his own man and speaks his mind.

Comment

its not like hes being pulled from working with Cork Con or something
          that would be the sort of pedigree we could all get behind

Comment

Originally posted by Finnegan79 View Post

Agreed, 100% Tbh, the IRFU shou'd have "sacrificed" this 6N before tying themselves down to a coach. The Japan coaching ticket with the players Ireland have would be something to see. Getting the ball wide in under 5 passes ? Holy ****, it'd be a Christmas Miracle !!!!
            The Japan coaching ticket basically had the players fully available for the last 9+ months a nearly all were pulled out of super rugby and basically played/trained as a club side to get to where they are.

Comment

Originally posted by In Joe we trust View Post

The Japan coaching ticket basically had the players fully available for the last 9+ months a nearly all were pulled out of super rugby and basically played/trained as a club side to get to where they are.
              true, but they weren't working with the caliber of players Ireland have; the Sunvolves and the Japanese league teams aren't the quality of the provinces. Ireland went to Japan on tour two summers ago and they beat the Japanese pretty hard both times. 2 years on, and the result was much different. The ball skills those players have compared to Ireland(or what Ireland are allowed to do with the ball) is night and day.

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Swanson View Post
                He also hasn’t selected Zeebs for a single game
                You'd hope he's been on to him already sounding him out about a return home (to Leinster).

Comment

Originally posted by Balla Boy View Post
                  Farrell was sacked from the England set up in 2015.
                  So was Lancaster and Leinster have won a Heineken Cup since. Or whatever those posh twats call it now.

Comment

Originally posted by whimpersnap View Post
                    So was Lancaster and Leinster have won a Heineken Cup since. Or whatever those posh twats call it now.
                    Yep, and Gatland was sacked by Ireland after Lens, and look at him now. Some people learn from failure.

Comment

true, but they weren't working with the caliber of players Ireland have; the Sunvolves and the Japanese league teams aren't the quality of the provinces. Ireland went to Japan on tour two summers ago and they beat the Japanese pretty hard both times. 2 years on, and the result was much different. The ball skills those players have compared to Ireland(or what Ireland are allowed to do with the ball) is night and day.
                      Pat Lams team were the closest we've had to a Japanese style of rugby and that took a long time to deliver for them. To get to that level of ball handling/skill's requires training day in day out for a long time for that ability to be harnessed.

Comment

And? Wales didn't have that and they're better than us too. NZ work properly to align what the Super sides are doing with the aims of the ABs, and that works fine.
                        "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

Originally posted by Munsterboy View Post

Yep, and Gatland was sacked by Ireland after Lens, and look at him now. Some people learn from failure.
                          I've nothing against people being fired. My point was that his post sacking CV, and claim to the job, rests largely on what has been for the last 12 months a failed project.

Eddie Jones has been sacked from jobs and there's a reasonable chance he's going to go and win a world cup for England.

All I was saying was that if Farrell walked into an interview room today to discuss an international coaching job, he'd have to make a hell of a pitch.

Comment

Originally posted by Balla Boy View Post

And? Wales didn't have that and they're better than us too. NZ work properly to align what the Super sides are doing with the aims of the ABs, and that works fine.
                            Wales though got played off the park by the French and survived due to bad goal kicking, a stupid red card, Moriarty escaping a red and a bad decision gifting them a try.

Comment

Pat Lams team were the closest we've had to a Japanese style of rugby and that took a long time to deliver for them. To get to that level of ball handling/skill's requires training day in day out for a long time for that ability to be harnessed.
                              So Ireland just shouldn't bother b/c it may take a while ?

Comment

So Ireland just shouldn't bother b/c it may take a while ?
                                That is not what I am saying. All 4 province should be training their players from the youngest age upwards to up skill to the level that is required.

Ideally all provinces should have the passing ability and understanding of angles etc to move the ball as well as the Japanese/All Black players and do that for their provinces. This makes it a lot easier to do so at international level.

Comment

Working...
                                X