Farrell Out!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Farrell Out!

Decent defence coach. Has shown no imagination as a head coach so far. Getting his old mate Mike Catt on board early was bizarre given Italy's performances. Will get two years to show he's not up to it and then go. Might as well just get rid of him now and save time.

He also hasn’t selected Zeebs for a single game

Comment

I
      think Farrell has to make sweeping changes to the style of play and players. If he goes for continuity then he better get good results otherwise the pressure with rightfully come on. I'd say he'll have 2 years to get it right because he has no credit in the bank as a head coach. It's harsh but that's the environment he's in.

With that said, I'm hopeful Farrell will bring in fresh ideas and be his own man. I'm not sure about hiring Catt but at least Italy play a nice brand of attacking rugby which will be a refreshing change for the players.

I think we need a more skill based game. Let the ball do the work. It seems to be successful in every field sport I see. Be more creative, unpredictable, skillful, elusive, brave, seek space etc.

The team selection should be more fluid too. Play players who are in form. Sure player B might not be as talented/experienced as player A but if player A is dropping balls, missing tackles etc then the talent isn't being utilised.

I think that's part of the reason Ireland flop in world cups. There always seems to be a 15 set in stone. If a few are off form, not only does it have a negative impact on performances but it's like a viscous circle where it effects moral of the others and the team go into a downward spiral.

I think he provinces need to change to a skill based game. Bullying pro14 teams up front is good for the provinces but it's been crippling for Ireland. It's like the kid who is great in schools rugby because of his size but when moving up tomplay with the big boys he gets found out because the bullying doesn't work and he has no plan B not to mention plan C, D, Evetc. A one trick pony.

In fairness the provinces are moving in that direction, finally.

Comment

Originally posted by dropkick View Post
        I
        think Farrell has to make sweeping changes to the style of play and players. If he goes for continuity then he better get good results otherwise the pressure with rightfully come on. I'd say he'll have 2 years to get it right because he has no credit in the bank as a head coach. It's harsh but that's the environment he's in.

With that said, I'm hopeful Farrell will bring in fresh ideas and be his own man. I'm not sure about hiring Catt but at least Italy play a nice brand of attacking rugby which will be a refreshing change for the players.

I think we need a more skill based game. Let the ball do the work. It seems to be successful in every field sport I see. Be more creative, unpredictable, skillful, elusive, brave, seek space etc.

The team selection should be more fluid too. Play players who are in form. Sure player B might not be as talented/experienced as player A but if player A is dropping balls, missing tackles etc then the talent isn't being utilised.

I think that's part of the reason Ireland flop in world cups. There always seems to be a 15 set in stone. If a few are off form, not only does it have a negative impact on performances but it's like a viscous circle where it effects moral of the others and the team go into a downward spiral.

I think he provinces need to change to a skill based game. Bullying pro14 teams up front is good for the provinces but it's been crippling for Ireland. It's like the kid who is great in schools rugby because of his size but when moving up tomplay with the big boys he gets found out because the bullying doesn't work and he has no plan B not to mention plan C, D, Evetc. A one trick pony.

In fairness the provinces are moving in that direction, finally.
        Agreed, 100% Tbh, the IRFU shou'd have "sacrificed" this 6N before tying themselves down to a coach. The Japan coaching ticket with the players Ireland have would be something to see. Getting the ball wide in under 5 passes ? Holy ****, it'd be a Christmas Miracle !!!!

Comment

What must have seemed a sensible step towards continuity last autumn has now created a mini-crisis I'd say. After the last 12 months, you'd normally not see anyone on the coaching ticket holding onto their jobs, let alone taking a step up.

"We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

Originally posted by Balla Boy View Post
            What must have seemed a sensible step towards continuity last autumn has now created a mini-crisis I'd say. After the last 12 months, you'd normally not see anyone on the coaching ticket holding onto their jobs, let alone taking a step up.
            Completely agree- have nothing against Farrell, but very hard to know whether he will be a decent head coach- and the ticket doesn’t exactly have high level coaching success behind them. IRFU were in thrall to Joe, and clung to the possibility of continuity when joe said he was stepping down. It now looks like we were failing for a year, and in most other circumstances you would be having a review and then make your decisions accordingly.

Comment

The IRFU really are terribly ****e at managing coaching succession.

Farrell and Catt should get 12 months to show they are making serious changes and taking the team in the right direction. If all we’re seeing is a few tweaks, bin them and start over while there’s three years to prepare.

Comment

Why are people presupposing what Farrell is going to do or not do? Give him his chance lads, we are beginning from a fairly ****e location right now.

For all anyone knows he could tear everything asunder and start from scratch.

I don't agree with deciding theres a set limit on how long he gets before he fails, for all we know the fella could go 12 or 14 tests unbeaten next, the players are there to compete for sure.
                I am the million man.

Comment

Couldn’t agree more, Cowboy
                  "There are a lot of points that we’ve left behind and this is with a young group. That probably tells you what they’re capable of and that they’re a very good side.

Probably next year or the year after next they will take some stopping"

Anthony Foley, May 2016. Axel RIP

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy View Post
                    Why are people presupposing what Farrell is going to do or not do? Give him his chance lads, we are beginning from a fairly ****e location right now.

For all anyone knows he could tear everything asunder and start from scratch.

I don't agree with deciding theres a set limit on how long he gets before he fails, for all we know the fella could go 12 or 14 tests unbeaten next, the players are there to compete for sure.

He might well, in which case I think people would be more patient. But I think it's clear why people are uncomfortable. Farrell was sacked from the England set up in 2015. He's been appointed to this role based on the fact that immersion in Joe's set up would allow some continuity.

That set up has, over the last year, been drained of credibility.

If Ireland announced today, out of the blue, that their new head coach was a guy who'd been head coach of pretty much nothing, and whose latest defensive coaching role had seen his team on a solid decline for the last year with beatings in multiple key games, people would be very sceptical.

And so they are.
                    "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

No problem with any of that, Balla, but he’s in the job so I think we need to give him a chance. He’s had time to plan for this since being appointed, and he’s also seen what problems exist in the recent set up under Joe. Let’s see what he can do
                      "There are a lot of points that we’ve left behind and this is with a young group. That probably tells you what they’re capable of and that they’re a very good side.

Probably next year or the year after next they will take some stopping"

Anthony Foley, May 2016. Axel RIP

Comment

Originally posted by Waterfordlad View Post
                        No problem with any of that, Balla, but he’s in the job so I think we need to give him a chance. He’s had time to plan for this since being appointed, and he’s also seen what problems exist in the recent set up under Joe. Let’s see what he can do
                        I don't think anyone is saying different. Just that if we're a year down the line and things look the same, people's patience is likely to get thin quickly.

I suspect that's true of any coach appointed in this day and age though.

Comment

I don't think anyone is saying different. Just that if we're a year down the line and things look the same, people's patience is likely to get thin quickly.

I suspect that's true of any coach appointed in this day and age though.
                          2 lions tours as defence coach
                          2 RWCs as a coach
                          A grand slam

Been involved in a few bits and bobs to be fair to him Balla, its not like hes being pulled from working with Cork Con or something

EDIT, furthermore, you just know the narrative is going to be get Leo or Lancaster in as solid Leinster boys in charge the second the opportunity arises. I dont subscribe to that, and it'll be Wummiskey and the usual suspects sharpening knives before hes even been given a crack
                          Last edited by Cowboy; 20th-October-2019, 10:36.
                          I am the million man.

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy View Post

2 lions tours as defence coach
                            2 RWCs as a coach
                            A grand slam

Been involved in a few bits and bobs to be fair to him Balla, its not like hes being pulled from working with Cork Con or something

EDIT, furthermore, you just know the narrative is going to be get Leo or Lancaster in as solid Leinster boys in charge the second the opportunity arises. I dont subscribe to that, and it'll be Wummiskey and the usual suspects sharpening knives before hes even been given a crack

I agree. He's been praised by Gatland for his work on the Lions. He's also, across two world cups, been a central part of the biggest failures in both.

I'm not railing against the guy. He seems very sound, and there's every reason to believe he's quite capable.

All I'm saying is he wouldn't have gotten the job at all if he hadn't been part of Joe's set up, and being part of that set up he wouldn't have got it today if he hadn't already been signed up.

He's been presented as a continuity candidate from a set up that has been on the slide for a year. Rightly or wrongly he has a limited window in which to fix that perception.

I can see why the IRFU thought it a good idea to appoint him at the time, even that far out.

But lets be honest - having players coming out of that last world cup, and the 6 nations and warm up games that came before them - and going back into an Ireland changing room to hear largely the same voices talking to them is not what anyone would describe as ideal.

Comment

I agree. He's been praised by Gatland for his work on the Lions. He's also, across two world cups, been a central part of the biggest failures in both.

I'm not railing against the guy. He seems very sound, and there's every reason to believe he's quite capable.

All I'm saying is he wouldn't have gotten the job at all if he hadn't been part of Joe's set up, and being part of that set up he wouldn't have got it today if he hadn't already been signed up.

He's been presented as a continuity candidate from a set up that has been on the slide for a year. Rightly or wrongly he has a limited window in which to fix that perception.

I can see why the IRFU thought it a good idea to appoint him at the time, even that far out.

But lets be honest - having players coming out of that last world cup, and the 6 nations and warm up games that came before them - and going back into an Ireland changing room to hear largely the same voices talking to them is not what anyone would describe as ideal.
                              Hopefully he can see what went wrong and set about changing it, god knows the guy hes replacing was more afraid of change than any coach in living memory.

(he deserves his crack, plenty wont even give him that)
                              I am the million man.

Comment

Working...
                              X