No announcement yet.

Ireland v Wales the decider

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just on the potential for Larmour to come in again for Kearney - watch back for Frances disallowed try and how poorly Larmour dealt with the high ball that created it. He had absolutley no sense of what to do. The Welsh back 3 would have a complete field day against the lad.

We have two very dodgy full back options imho. Our safest bet was Conway but he's been pushed to the margins.
    "There are probably more annoying things than being hectored about African development by a wealthy Irish rock star in a cowboy hat, but I can't think of one at the moment"

Paul Theroux

Comment

Larmour just needs more game time in the position

Comment

Any word on Carberry? How bad is the injury?
        "There are a lot of points that we’ve left behind and this is with a young group. That probably tells you what they’re capable of and that they’re a very good side.

Probably next year or the year after next they will take some stopping"

Anthony Foley, May 2016. Axel RIP

Comment

Larmour will improve in time. He has the talent and the temperament but it's his decision making that needs to improve.

I just watched the game from the weekend. It was a big improvement not only on performances in this 6 nations but in games against France in recent years.

The 4 previous 6N matches Ireland averaged 0.25 tries per game. Could have had 6 in that game.

France were not great but the reason Ireland were more dangerous in that game could be summed up in 1 word, variety.

Instead of one out runners and Murray box kicks we saw a great more variety in the attack. Little tip on passes from the forwards, more passing options in general, Ringrose being used to kick etc. It made for a much more fluid attack and the attack wasn't even that expansive, it just had a few extra dimensions.

It was far from perfect, errors were made but the extra variety of attacking options ment the French defence got stretched and resulted in more tries than the last 5 games against France put together.

Wales will be tougher to break down but the France game will be giving Gatland and Edwards more homework to do. Schmidt surely knows they can't approach playing Wales like they usually do with box kicks and one out runners.

If we play like we played against France then I can see an Ireland win. The way Ireland moved the ball also ment the match wasn't as physical as usual and the tries scored gave Schmidt the luxury of putting on the subs early. Ireland are in a good place heading to Cardiff.

Comment

Originally posted by busby View Post
            Just on the potential for Larmour to come in again for Kearney - watch back for Frances disallowed try and how poorly Larmour dealt with the high ball that created it. He had absolutley no sense of what to do. The Welsh back 3 would have a complete field day against the lad.

We have two very dodgy full back options imho. Our safest bet was Conway but he's been pushed to the margins.
            Larmour is just a kid and stll learning. He has tremendous potential as an international back three player. He still does make some mistakes, but so does everyone else. He is better than Kearney in most aspects of FB play including tackling, kicking and counterattacking. He needs to be starting for Leinster and get plently of Ireland game time. He will not develop if he is not played. Larmour can be ctiticised for his play against France (though mostly he was OK) but Kearney's record of pathetic attempts to tackle in the past 3-4 seasons is inexcusible, and he should get panned for that. He was good several years ago but now I see him as a potential liability every time he plays for Ireland. I hope, for the sake of the team, he has a blinder against Wales, but like many other Ireland supporters, I'm shhitting bricks when I see his name on the team sheet and expect to see a soft try or two to the opposition.
            I agree about Conway - an underrated player whether at FB or wing. I'd like to see both Conway and Larmour ahead of Kearney in the Ireland RWC squad, but it's not going to happen. Schmidt has a biind spot about him.
            Erse end of nowhere

Comment

Originally posted by RichardP View Post

Why? They’d be better off targetting Stockdale who is very suspect in defence and fielding. I’d run at him and Kearney all day, as well as raining garryowens upon them.
              As good as Earl's is he struggled in the air against may due to a height difference and North is considerably taller

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Spiffy View Post

Larmour is just a kid and stll learning. He has tremendous potential as an international back three player. He still does make some mistakes, but so does everyone else. He is better than Kearney in most aspects of FB play including tackling, kicking and counterattacking. He needs to be starting for Leinster and get plently of Ireland game time. He will not develop if he is not played. Larmour can be ctiticised for his play against France (though mostly he was OK) but Kearney's record of pathetic attempts to tackle in the past 3-4 seasons is inexcusible, and he should get panned for that. He was good several years ago but now I see him as a potential liability every time he plays for Ireland. I hope, for the sake of the team, he has a blinder against Wales, but like many other Ireland supporters, I'm shhitting bricks when I see his name on the team sheet and expect to see a soft try or two to the opposition.
                I agree about Conway - an underrated player whether at FB or wing. I'd like to see both Conway and Larmour ahead of Kearney in the Ireland RWC squad, but it's not going to happen. Schmidt has a biind spot about him.
                Ireland have lost one game in the last 12 Rob has played (1st test in Australia) and you are still scared when he plays?

Comment

Originally posted by In Joe we trust View Post
                  Ireland have lost one game in the last 12 Rob has played (1st test in Australia) and you are still scared when he plays?

He's not the only one scared......I'd say Rob is too.
                  Anybody who sees a psychiatrist would want their head examined.*&nb sp;Henry Ford

Comment

It was, I agree, a very poor start- but I thought he did very well the rest of the game. Whether that was a temporary bit of nerves, or a serious flaw in his game, remains to be seen. France were awful, so I’m hesitant to say this, but any team seeing such a weakness would target it in the rest of the game. He dealt with whatever they put in his way the rest of the time.

unfortunately, Kearney’s return means Conway gets pushed off the end of the bench- and I’m now very fearful that he will barely see the plan to Japan- if that, let alone get game time. Pity, he’s an fine player, and never lets a side he plays in down.

Comment

Originally posted by cornerboy View Post

He's not the only one scared......I'd say Rob is too.
                      "There are a lot of points that we’ve left behind and this is with a young group. That probably tells you what they’re capable of and that they’re a very good side.

Probably next year or the year after next they will take some stopping"

Anthony Foley, May 2016. Axel RIP

Comment

You have to give some credit to the kicker. It was right on the money and gave the attacking player the advantage.

If the French winger had caught it I’m pretty sure Larmour would have been in a position to tackle him immediately. He clearly knocked it on, which caused a different reaction but I don’t think Larmour was quite as clueless as you suggest.

Comment

Roof of the stadium is going to stay open it seems. Welsh fans on Twitter going ape**** LOL They've only themselves to blame with their dirty tricks the last time with the sprinklers. Clowns

Comment

**** em, hate the Welsh, sold us out

Comment

Originally posted by In Joe we trust View Post

You could also argue that, since Rob misses so many tackles, Ireland did well to win those games despite his presence. How do you rate Rob's tackling yourself?
                              Erse end of nowhere

Comment

Some ending to the Gatland 6 nations era, hates no team more than us and we have a chance to stop him getting his third Grand slam, I don’t think this Welsh side is as good as they think, lethal backbone but I’d back out pack to dominate them, we’ve a stronger bench too. The roof situation seems to have risen the temperature even more, hopefully they can turn the sprinklers on to cool things a bit

Comment

Working...
                                X