Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Getting jiggy with a Selector's daughter in the dressing rooms roll of honour thread

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Getting jiggy with a Selector's daughter in the dressing rooms roll of honour thread

    Named this thread in honour of the unsubstantiated rumour of why a certain mercurial outhalf was never 1st choice when he could have been.

    All in jest now,

    Sean Cronin obviously todays newest recruit, Simon Zebo certainly listed, Dareen Cave an honourable mention, any other suggestions for obvious talent that hasn't fufilled?

    Nulla semper amicus, servivit mihi, in iniuriam mihi neminem quem non persolvi

    #2
    TO'H. Still a young fella though...
    Gwan Joe!!

    Comment


      #3
      This is the Ross O'Caroll Kelly thread then, Gilroy, James Coughlan, any Irish 15 not from county Louth over the last ten years.
      Seven social sins: politics without principles, wealth without work, pleasure without conscience, knowledge without character, commerce without morality, science without humanity, and worship without sacrifice



      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by scotscor View Post
        This is the Ross O'Caroll Kelly thread then, Gilroy, James Coughlan, any Irish 15 not from county Louth over the last ten years.
        Gilroy makes it certainly, would need a few caps before being cast into the 'i coulda been a contender' role though, (n)one cap wonders need not apply,
        Nulla semper amicus, servivit mihi, in iniuriam mihi neminem quem non persolvi

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by Sulla View Post
          Named this thread in honour of the unsubstantiated rumour of why a certain mercurial outhalf was never 1st choice when he could have been.

          All in jest now,

          Sean Cronin obviously todays newest recruit, Simon Zebo certainly listed, Dareen Cave an honourable mention, any other suggestions for obvious talent that hasn't fufilled?
          Cronin doesn’t really go on this list IMHO. No mystery why he wasn’t trusted.

          TOH definitely on there. Both Connacht props could probably be considered too.

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by Munsterboy View Post

            Cronin doesn’t really go on this list IMHO. No mystery why he wasn’t trusted.

            TOH definitely on there. Both Connacht props could probably be considered too.
            Mystery about summer tour bust up and alleged reprimand by Joe.. yes, he's on the list
            Nulla semper amicus, servivit mihi, in iniuriam mihi neminem quem non persolvi

            Comment


              #7
              Roger Wilson. A very talented 8. At the height of his career, when he played for Northampton for 3-4 years, he was the best No.8 in the English Premier League and could also cover 6. One Ireland cap. Don't judge him by his second stint at Ulster when age was obviously taking its toll.
              Erse end of nowhere

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by Sulla View Post

                Mystery about summer tour bust up and alleged reprimand by Joe.. yes, he's on the list
                Ah yeah, I heard that story alright, but I suspect it’s more to do with the whole cow’s arse/banjo issue.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Several of those who took the queen's schilling in the early days of professionalism could qualify
                  Darragh O'Mahony
                  Johnny O'Connor
                  Bob Casey

                  More recent players
                  Marty Moore
                  Luke Fitzgerald
                  Luke Marshall
                  Stuart McCloskey

                  Moore in particular looked good and it all seemed set for him when Ross retired but never really pushed on. Still time for him to come back to form.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Cave had his chances, I think, but lacked a yard of pace at the top level. Of that Ulster generation, Luke Marshall was more of a surprise for me. He looked really exciting for a spell around 2012, got his call up against Fiji and looked to have real running in him.

                    "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

                    "Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy


                    "I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

                    Comment


                      #11
                      I’d say Cullen but I can’t imagine anybody’s daughter sleeping wiith him in fairness.

                      “One, Fineen needs to be louder, angrier, and have access to a time machine. Two, whenever Fineen’s not on field, all the other players should be asking 'Where's Fineen?

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by LongtimeLurker View Post
                        Several of those who took the queen's schilling in the early days of professionalism could qualify
                        Darragh O'Mahony
                        Johnny O'Connor
                        Bob Casey

                        More recent players
                        Marty Moore
                        Luke Fitzgerald
                        Luke Marshall
                        Stuart McCloskey

                        Moore in particular looked good and it all seemed set for him when Ross retired but never really pushed on. Still time for him to come back to form.
                        McCloskey is definitely one for me. Watching him for Ulster lately he sometimes looks like a man amongst boys. Makes ground so easily, excellent offloading ability and has decent skills, yet can’t get a look in even when we’re struggling with injuries in the centre.

                        He and Farrell would be a huge handful for any team and both are far more than just bosh merchants.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by Munsterboy View Post

                          McCloskey is definitely one for me. Watching him for Ulster lately he sometimes looks like a man amongst boys. Makes ground so easily, excellent offloading ability and has decent skills, yet can’t get a look in even when we’re struggling with injuries in the centre.

                          He and Farrell would be a huge handful for any team and both are far more than just bosh merchants.
                          He's been involved though, hasn't he? Maybe just one of those guys whose power etc doesn't translate at the top level?
                          "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

                          "Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy


                          "I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by Joe Konys barmy army View Post
                            I’d say Cullen but I can’t imagine anybody’s daughter sleeping wiith him in fairness.
                            Cullen was just very unlucky in the generation he was part of. O'Connell, O'Callaghan, O'Driscoll, Ryan.

                            I remember Casey waiting 9 years between caps.
                            "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

                            "Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy


                            "I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Colm Tucker
                              "I don't believe in fairytales," O'Connell once told me, "even though it feels like I've been lucky enough to live through a few. However it ends, I'll feel lucky."
                              Donald McRae, Guardian Rugby, October 2015

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X