No announcement yet.

6N RD4 IRELAND v FRANCE Sunday Mar10 15.00

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bernie would be tailor made for playing against France, he has to start alongside Ryan. CJ will hopefully be back, and Healy starts again, though Killer has established himself as back up.

Conway should be looked at for full back. We're all over the place there are the moment in terms of options and he's the best bet of someone coming in and showing they can do the job there with the least risk.

Murray and Sexton is tricky. The 6 nation's isn't the place to let players work their way gradually into form, especially they're not physically right. I'd day Carbery should start, but would be very surprised.

Henderson should get a go at centre given what's he's missed. Prob alongside Ali, though there's merit in him resting up.

"There are probably more annoying things than being hectored about African development by a wealthy Irish rock star in a cowboy hat, but I can't think of one at the moment"

Paul Theroux

Comment

Originally posted by busby View Post
      Bernie would be tailor made for playing against France, he has to start alongside Ryan. CJ will hopefully be back, and Healy starts again, though Killer has established himself as back up.

Conway should be looked at for full back. We're all over the place there are the moment in terms of options and he's the best bet of someone coming in and showing they can do the job there with the least risk.

Murray and Sexton is tricky. The 6 nation's isn't the place to let players work their way gradually into form, especially they're not physically right. I'd day Carbery should start, but would be very surprised.

Henderson should get a go at centre given what's he's missed. Prob alongside Ali, though there's merit in him resting up.

If he wasn’t going to play Conway against Italy what makes you think he will drop Kearney for the France game?

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Konys barmy army View Post

I don’t think Aki has done enough to warrant another start at 12, I’d go henshaw in midfield then Jordan or Conway at 15.
        Aki was playing well before he had to go off. I'm not sure what Henshaw offers that Aki doesn't?

Comment

Originally posted by lawrence View Post

If he wasn’t going to play Conway against Italy what makes you think he will drop Kearney for the France game?
          He was prepared to give Henshaw a run there in our biggest game of the championship so it's not that big an ask. Joe must realise he's caught at 15. Even if you think Kearney is a great first choice, it's a bit of a cluster**** what's happening behind him.

Conway is a fairly safe option imho, and if he goes well (very rarely he hasn't over the past two years) at least you then have a reliable plan B compared to Henshaw or Larmour.

"There are probably more annoying things than being hectored about African development by a wealthy Irish rock star in a cowboy hat, but I can't think of one at the moment"

Paul Theroux

Comment

Murray and Sexton had poor games on Sunday, but Murray improved as the game went on while Johnny regressed following multiple hits. I’d definitely give Conor a start versus the French to see if that improvement continues
            "There are a lot of points that we’ve left behind and this is with a young group. That probably tells you what they’re capable of and that they’re a very good side.

Probably next year or the year after next they will take some stopping"

Anthony Foley, May 2016. Axel RIP

Comment

Originally posted by kahalui View Post

Aki was playing well before he had to go off. I'm not sure what Henshaw offers that Aki doesn't?
              Agree. Henshaw is a big tough lad, a hard runner and a good defender who always gives 100%. But it's a long time since he did anything special in attack for Ireland. He really seems to be lacking in pace for international rugby. Aki is just as powerful but seems to have that bit of added spark in pace and physicality. Neither is outstanding. I'd like to see a Ringrose/Farrell combination but Schmidt does not like to tinker around too much. A pity Addison was hit by injury - he was looking very good for Ulster. A decent all-round footballer with plenty of speed and rugby brains. Tom Farrell of Connacht has impressed this year too. Though he has been in the Ireland training squad, Schmidt probably will not select him. We probably won't see many changes from the established squad, but some of these players are definitely looking a tad jaded, and a shakeup would not be a bad thing. The timing is not great since Schmidt likes an experienced bunch of players who are well plugged in to his play-by-numbers approach.

Erse end of nowhere

Comment

Henshaw doesn't look fit to me at the moment, but I don't think it's true that he's not shown much in attack. Before his injury last year, his run at 13 outside Aki was very very promising.

He needs to be fit, and he needs a bit more space to operate in. I don't think he's as good a 12 as he is a 13.

But we've Farrell, Ringrose and him all putting their hand up at 13. Which leaves Aki or stand ins at 12.

Given the depth we have with Sexton, Carbery and Byrne some coaches might have looked at a 2nd 5/8, but that doesn't really fit Joe's game.

If Aki/Farrell is the unit that's fit right now, I think you have to back it and let it bed in.

And Farrell being massive doesn't make him a 12, imo.
                "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

Originally posted by kahalui View Post

I didn’t think he played well in the first two games personally and Henshaw offers something a little different so I’d bring him in.

Comment

Just a few points....

Wasn't Carberry injured and therefore unavailable against Italy?

I would think Henshaw was tried against England to see if they pick an extra centre or an extra back 3 player in the RWC squad.

As for englands kicking game it looked good with a centre at fullback and Earl's injured and against France with 2 centres on the wing and a winger at fullback. It did pretty poor against a natural fullback and 2 wingers for Wales.

Zeno is gone and wont be picked for Ireland and the enforcement of this rule is what keeps guys like murray/POM in ireland and brings players like beirne/haley to play here.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Comment

The last day against Italy the only person who turned over ball iirc was POM.

SOB gave away a penalty doing it and Jordi was annonomyous at the breakdown.

If CJ is not back then I think we need Beirne to start, we can’t go into a game against France with only one forward able to turnover possession on the ground.

If he starts ahead of Toner our line out may be weakened a small bit, but we get a better carrier, if he starts ahead of Ryan I fail to see what we lose and we add the ability to compete on the floor.

If he starts ahead of Henderson I don’t see any difference in their line out skills, or their carrying and you add another person to the pack who can get over the ball.

Apparently Toner is injured though and Ryan has always played crunch games so hopefully it’s Ryan and Berynie with Hendo or Dillane or Roux on the bench.

Comment

Originally posted by busby View Post

He was prepared to give Henshaw a run there in our biggest game of the championship so it's not that big an ask. Joe must realise he's caught at 15. Even if you think Kearney is a great first choice, it's a bit of a cluster**** what's happening behind him.

Conway is a fairly safe option imho, and if he goes well (very rarely he hasn't over the past two years) at least you then have a reliable plan B compared to Henshaw or Larmour.

I agree completely, except if Joe realises he is caught at 15 then wouldn’t the Italian game have been a great chance to try an alternative. Can he afford another gamble against the French at home, in a must win to keep the slim championship hopes alive?

Comment

Originally posted by lawrence View Post

I agree completely, except if Joe realises he is caught at 15 then wouldn’t the Italian game have been a great chance to try an alternative. Can he afford another gamble against the French at home, in a must win to keep the slim championship hopes alive?
                          There reasoning there is that I think he was afraid of losing that game on currently form. Minimal tinkering as he's already shot himself in the foot against England with a bit of tinkering in a game we were expected to win comfortably.

In hindsight, the Italy game was the one to tinker in - not sure if we needed hindsight to make that conclusion but at the time I gave Schmidt a break as I figured he must have known what he was doing starting Henshaw at 15. He didn't. And as a result of that mistake I don't think there'll be much tinkering for the rest of the tournament.

Comment

So, there’s quite a lot of hindsight being employed here. Just a few reminders:

Carbery was and is still injured. He also played most of the game against Scotland. For those reasons it made sense to start Sexton against Italy (although I would have brought Carty on sooner). If either halfback should have been rotated out it was Murray for Cooney.

Most of us were delighted with the decision to start Henshaw at 15, and if it hadn’t been against England who had cooked up a surprise kicking game, he probably wouldn’t have struggled too badly at all. I’m not convinced Rob (or anybody) would have dealt with them all that well that day. They were very accurate and there were times Robbie saved our arses from an even bigger hiding.

Haven’t agreed with all of Joe’s decisions but those two were not unreasonable at all.
                            Last edited by Munsterboy; 26th-February-2019, 16:20.

Comment

In other news, my tickets from the MRSC Lottery arrived in the post today.

Comment

Originally posted by Munsterboy View Post
                                Not sure I’d leave both the halfbacks our but would be tempted to drop one. Probably keep Murray and drop Sexton based on yesterday, although it’s a close run thing.
                                Or maybe we just say feck it and go for broke. The tournament is lost so let’s experiment.

In other areas of the field, both Killer and Scannell have staked their claims and you could reasonably start either. Healy and Best are out in front but Kilcoyne in particular put his hand up.

We have a problem at 8. Conan isn’t great and Jordi is way too lightweight (which is why Ulster don’t play him at 8). Room for a RWC bolter there.

We need a look at somebody else at 15. Conway deserves a go, especially with the French liable to run at us.

In last years PRO 14 final Tadhg Beirne played at 8 for Scarlets. Had a decent game, maybe a better option than Jordi.

Comment

Working...
                                X