6NR3) Italy V Ireland - Sun 24 Feb 16:00 - Olympic Stadium & Virgin Media

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Munsterboy View Post

There’s always some nonsense people come up with to justify Joe’s conservatism. If that’s genuinely an issue (and I doubt it is) then what about Ryan? He’s nailed on at lock so he should probably be making the lineout calls since he’s gonna be ever-present. He’s a smart lad and a proven leader so just give him the responsibility and then we can play Toner, Hendo, Beirne or whomever we want alongside him.
    Should he? Wouldnt put all that on Ryan yet. Can we see what he does with Blues first? He is probably nailed on but that shouldnt mean he should be making line out calls.

Comment

Joe likes to pick his 2nd rows to do specific jobs -
      1 2nd row is predominantly there for hitting/clearing rucks both in attack/defence (Toner/Roux) seem to be the preferred choice to do so - both regularly topping 50 rucks a game.
      1 2nd row for carrying etc (Ryan/Henderson/Dillane) seem to be the favoured for this.

Now Ryan can do both but I believe his ball carrying especially in tight is comfortably the best of any Irish 2nd row and is the best 2nd row in Ireland.

Now if you put Beirne in with Ryan will Beirne hit 50+ rucks a game or will you put Ryan in that position and reduce his ball carrying?

I personally would like to see Beirne get a chance at 6 or 8 for Ireland

Comment

Originally posted by ormond lad View Post
        Should he? Wouldnt put all that on Ryan yet. Can we see what he does with Blues first? He is probably nailed on but that shouldnt mean he should be making line out calls.
        He doesn’t need to be mollycoddled. He’s taken huge games in his stride and excelled every time (Pro14, European Cup, Grand Slam, All Blacks etc.). He’s captained teams all the way up and is already setting the standard in his performances for Ireland. He’s good enough so he’s old enough.

Why would you prefer to put the responsibility on the shoulders of Tadhg Beirne - a lad who has a fraction of the international and big game experience of Ryan?

Comment

Originally posted by In Joe we trust View Post
          Now Ryan can do both but I believe his ball carrying especially in tight is comfortably the best of any Irish 2nd row and is the best 2nd row in Ireland.
          Henderson is arguably an even stronger ball carrier in the tight. Ryan tends to carry more often though.

Comment

Originally posted by Munsterboy View Post

He doesn’t need to be mollycoddled. He’s taken huge games in his stride and excelled every time (Pro14, European Cup, Grand Slam, All Blacks etc.). He’s captained teams all the way up and is already setting the standard in his performances for Ireland. He’s good enough so he’s old enough.

Why would you prefer to put the responsibility on the shoulders of Tadhg Beirne - a lad who has a fraction of the international and big game experience of Ryan?
            This isnt mollycoddling. And yes he's taken games in his stride but when has he called lineouts in pro games? How much has he done it?

Comment

If anyone's missed the pre-match coverage, there was a really nice profile piece on Jacob Stockdale. Worth looking up IMO.
              Tis but a scratch.

Comment

Originally posted by ormond lad View Post
                This isnt mollycoddling. And yes he's taken games in his stride but when has he called lineouts in pro games? How much has he done it?
                Still dodging the question of why you prefer to give it to Beirne, a guy who doesn’t do it either and has far less experience.

Comment

gwan ireland!!
                  "I don't believe in fairytales," O'Connell once told me, "even though it feels like I've been lucky enough to live through a few. However it ends, I'll feel lucky."
                  Donald McRae, Guardian Rugby, October 2015

Comment

Peter looking sharp

Comment

POM getting hs first turnover in early ...
                      "I don't believe in fairytales," O'Connell once told me, "even though it feels like I've been lucky enough to live through a few. However it ends, I'll feel lucky."

Comment

SOB looks rusty

Comment

Poor pass from SOB
                          "There are a lot of points that we’ve left behind and this is with a young group. That probably tells you what they’re capable of and that they’re a very good side.

Probably next year or the year after next they will take some stopping"

Anthony Foley, May 2016. Axel RIP

Comment

Sean Cronin is going to make a mess of the line out today

Comment

Wasting an attacking 5m lineout is so so frustrating.

Comment

This feels so flat. Atmosphere and performance so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X