Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

6NR3) Italy V Ireland - Sun 24 Feb 16:00 - Olympic Stadium & Virgin Media

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #46
    Originally posted by jagawayagain View Post

    It would be outrageous if SOBs story had a fairy tale ending with him continuing to play for Ireland in exile.
    He's not going to play for Ireland once he's gone. He's being kept in because he's here for the World Cup cycle and then Joe is gone. I can't see Farrell changing the policy after he's gone.

    Comment


      #47
      According to the usual suspects, Sexty will be starting. Not sure if that is the best way around. I always think start the under studies, if it all goes Pete Tong send on Sexton, Murray etc if not let the youngsters finish it off. Gives the youngsters ownership and experience and the old heads a rest.

      Comment


        #48
        Originally posted by whimpersnap View Post

        He's not going to play for Ireland once he's gone. He's being kept in because he's here for the World Cup cycle and then Joe is gone. I can't see Farrell changing the policy after he's gone.
        Agree except it is not Farrell’s policy to change. This is IRFU mandated policy and rightfully so. #sustainablerugbyireland

        Comment


          #49
          Originally posted by DABOSS View Post
          According to the usual suspects, Sexty will be starting. Not sure if that is the best way around. I always think start the under studies, if it all goes Pete Tong send on Sexton, Murray etc if not let the youngsters finish it off. Gives the youngsters ownership and experience and the old heads a rest.
          Pointless, brilliant prep for the WC, we are gonna get tinned at the QF again when our back ups are called upon
          \"Only Pienaar, Botha and Ferris would be in contention for a place on our first 15. That\'s a fact.\" - Tickettout\'s take on Ulster April 2011.

          Comment


            #50
            Originally posted by DABOSS View Post
            According to the usual suspects, Sexty will be starting. Not sure if that is the best way around. I always think start the under studies, if it all goes Pete Tong send on Sexton, Murray etc if not let the youngsters finish it off. Gives the youngsters ownership and experience and the old heads a rest.
            The argument is that Sexton is not playing well enough and has played such little rugby that he needs the minutes, it’s ironic that Carbery who is the in form 10, is likely not to start because Sexton is playing so poorly. Normally you’re dropped for poor form and good form is rewarded but not in this case. I can see the reasoning behind it but it’s no good to Carbery who is playing so well but most likely won’t be rewarded with a start.
            The Maul is Back!! LONG LIVE THE MAUL!!

            Stringer is bigger even than his own immense shadow. Pound for pound, he is the best tackler in the world. If you put him into bag of cats he\'d come out without a scratch. He was hit very late for Murphy\'s try. And when he got up, as we knew he would, the crowd cried his name as if he had just fixed the economy.Billy Keane-After Munster\'s famous loss to the AB\'s.

            The Bull-Truly irreplaceable, a mountain of a man. 100 caps!!

            Comment


              #51
              It's only a couple of months since Carbery was having a rough time stepping up to the level required at Munster. Agreed he's in good form and Sexton is not, but coaches don't make selections purely based on current form.

              Comment


                #52
                Originally posted by Talking Sense View Post

                Pointless, brilliant prep for the WC, we are gonna get tinned at the QF again when our back ups are called upon
                You mean like we got tinned at murrayfield with a bunch of back ups playing?

                Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

                Comment


                  #53
                  Originally posted by whimpersnap View Post
                  It's only a couple of months since Carbery was having a rough time stepping up to the level required at Munster. Agreed he's in good form and Sexton is not, but coaches don't make selections purely based on current form.
                  True. But the Italy game seems like a good one to start Carbery to give him game time and see how he goes about running things. Not a great risk, if Jonny is on the bench. Italy are a poorly organized team, though with some good individual players, and this is one of the few chances before the RWC for Ireland to experiment and have a close look at reserve strength. Schmidt does not have to be overly conservative on selection for this match. If Ireland cannot beat Italy comfortably with a few first choices missing, then they are going nowhere in the World Cup.

                  Erse end of nowhere

                  Comment


                    #54
                    Originally posted by Spiffy View Post

                    True. But the Italy game seems like a good one to start Carbery to give him game time and see how he goes about running things. Not a great risk, if Jonny is on the bench. Italy are a poorly organized team, though with some good individual players, and this is one of the few chances before the RWC for Ireland to experiment and have a close look at reserve strength. Schmidt does not have to be overly conservative on selection for this match. If Ireland cannot beat Italy comfortably with a few first choices missing, then they are going nowhere in the World Cup.
                    Away to Wales is the second hardest game we have- we lost the first one. I want us to make sure we use the Italy and France games to give meaningful international game time to players we may have to rely on in the World Cup, and then play a full intensity starting choice XV and show how far ahead of wales we are. That way we end the 6N on the up, having seen how, in international game conditions our first and seconds choices are doing. I just don’t see the point of seeing nailed on WC starters Murray, Sexton, Best, Tadhg F etc play well against Italy- there’s even less point seeing them play badly. Murray and Sexton have plenty of competitive rugby coming up in March, April and May- the wales game through to the HCUP final will give ample opportunity to sharpen up.

                    Comment


                      #55
                      can anyone recommend a good spot in Rome to perch up on Saturday and watch the Eng/Wales game? Anyone been to Scholars?

                      Comment


                        #56
                        Originally posted by Stringer9 View Post

                        The argument is that Sexton is not playing well enough and has played such little rugby that he needs the minutes, it’s ironic that Carbery who is the in form 10, is likely not to start because Sexton is playing so poorly. Normally you’re dropped for poor form and good form is rewarded but not in this case. I can see the reasoning behind it but it’s no good to Carbery who is playing so well but most likely won’t be rewarded with a start.
                        Whisper from reliable source yesterday evening is that JC is injured. Most likely out of the remaining games in 6nations.

                        Comment


                          #57
                          Originally posted by Redcafe1 View Post

                          Whisper from reliable source yesterday evening is that JC is injured. Most likely out of the remaining games in 6nations.
                          He had better be back by the end of March or I will drop kick next door’s cat!!!!

                          Comment


                            #58
                            Originally posted by Redcafe1 View Post

                            Whisper from reliable source yesterday evening is that JC is injured. Most likely out of the remaining games in 6nations.
                            Hopefully any injury is not too bad, if true
                            "There are a lot of points that we’ve left behind and this is with a young group. That probably tells you what they’re capable of and that they’re a very good side.

                            Probably next year or the year after next they will take some stopping"

                            Anthony Foley, May 2016. Axel RIP

                            Comment


                              #59
                              Originally posted by Mike Gibson View Post

                              Porter was pictured training with Leinster yesterday so not sure if he's involved with Ireland this week.
                              I'm quite sure I’ll be hammered for this but I think Porter is massively over-rated. I know he's young and therefore some of his errors are excusable and he will get better with time, but he gives away at least one penalty per appearance and usually attracts some warnings from the referee even before he gets penalized (which kind of suggests he doesnt listen). He was woefully poor for Leinster in a few games, particularly against Zebre and I feel some time spent back in the trenches with Leinster is exactly what he needs. I may be biased but I’d rate Ryan and Archer ahead of him any day.

                              Comment


                                #60
                                Originally posted by Redcafe1 View Post

                                Whisper from reliable source yesterday evening is that JC is injured. Most likely out of the remaining games in 6nations.
                                Luke "I know nathin" Fitzgerald is calling for the selection of Quiffy Madigan, currently at Bristol. Honest. I suppose Byrne would be next in line for a bench slot, but I wouldn't mind seeing Connacht's Carty getting a run. He's in good form at the moment.
                                Erse end of nowhere

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X