6NR3) Italy V Ireland - Sun 24 Feb 16:00 - Olympic Stadium & Virgin Media

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Spiffy View Post

I've seen Haley play several games for Munster this season. I'd say he is no better a FB than Conway/Larmour/O'Halloran. I would be surprised if he cracked the RWC squad.
    If any of the three you mention we're offering what Joe is looking for they'd have been in the mix more often

The Craig Gilroy effect, if you will, you can run in a rake of tries but if you can't play Joe-ball you're not recognised.

Haley is a better version of the 15 Rob Kearney is at the moment. He can cover the backfield better than most, excellent under the high ball, runs back toward support.

I wouldn't be surprised if he gets a shot, it's why Henshaw was offered a shot too
    I am the million man.

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy View Post

If any of the three you mention we're offering what Joe is looking for they'd have been in the mix more often

The Craig Gilroy effect, if you will, you can run in a rake of tries but if you can't play Joe-ball you're not recognised.

Haley is a better version of the 15 Rob Kearney is at the moment. He can cover the backfield better than most, excellent under the high ball, runs back toward support.

I wouldn't be surprised if he gets a shot, it's why Henshaw was offered a shot too
      I agree that Haley looks like Joe’s kind of player, and if he doesn’t attack particularly well at least he hits like a truck when he’s last man.

That said, I think Joe does recognise Conway’s ability and if he was playing 15 for Munster he’d probably get a shot.

Comment

Conway is suffering from being very capable in two positions. It’s ironic that he’s being kept out by a player who is now very questionable in one.

Comment

Everyone seems to be forgetting about Larmour. Overall he has played well for Ireland when given the chance. OK - he has a bit to learn about positioning. But he does not shirk the physical stuff and is a decent enough defender. Certainly he is a better tackler than Kearney. The plus point is that with his footwork and gas, he is always an attacking threat to the opposition, can score tries, carve gaps and is a potential match winner. Defenders cannot ignore him and just suppose that, like Kearney, he will run the ball to ground. Up to now he has seemed the heir-apparent to the 15 shirt and it would be strange if Schmidt cut him loose for no obvious reason.

I think there is a widely held supposition among many rugby fans that if you are fast, have great feet and score some spectacular tries, then by definition, you must be a crap defender. A kind of flash Harry with little substance' who will cave in when it gets tough. BOD put that notion to rest some time ago, just as Ringrose is doing at present.
          Erse end of nowhere

Comment

Originally posted by Spiffy View Post
            Everyone seems to be forgetting about Larmour. Overall he has played well for Ireland when given the chance. OK - he has a bit to learn about positioning. But he does not shirk the physical stuff and is a decent enough defender. Certainly he is a better tackler than Kearney. The plus point is that with his footwork and gas, he is always an attacking threat to the opposition, can score tries, carve gaps and is a potential match winner. Defenders cannot ignore him and just suppose that, like Kearney, he will run the ball to ground. Up to now he has seemed the heir-apparent to the 15 shirt and it would be strange if Schmidt cut him loose for no obvious reason.

I think there is a widely held supposition among many rugby fans that if you are fast, have great feet and score some spectacular tries, then by definition, you must be a crap defender. A kind of flash Harry with little substance' who will cave in when it gets tough. BOD put that notion to rest some time ago, just as Ringrose is doing at present.
            Not forgetting him but he’s very inexperienced (check out his performance against Toulouse for example) and he’s not getting game time now either. That makes him a big risk if we need to start him in an important game at the RWC.

Conway has a lot of experience now and many of the same qualities as Larmour. He’s very reliable.

Comment

Originally posted by Munsterboy View Post

Not forgetting him but he’s very inexperienced (check out his performance against Toulouse for example) and he’s not getting game time now either. That makes him a big risk if we need to start him in an important game at the RWC.

Conway has a lot of experience now and many of the same qualities as Larmour. He’s very reliable.
              Yes. Conway is ahead of Larmour at present. I like him a lot. I would have the pair of them in the Ireland squad at the expense of Kearney, who is well past his best and really is a poor defender. His continued selection will come back to haunt Ireland. All it takes is one missed tackle in a tight game and the team is out of the RWC. I am not saying Conway/Larmour never miss a tackle, but they do not miss as many as Rob and are much better attackers, with real gas and footballing skills. I am really fed up watching Kearney play for Ireland and listening to all the endless balllocks from the Leinster media who continually try to justify his selection. Why has Schmidt got the blinkers on when it comes to R. Kearney? Can't understand it.
              Interestingly, Stockdale was a pretty good FB for the Ireland U20s and is particularly effective running good lines through the midfield.
              Erse end of nowhere

Comment

Originally posted by Munsterboy View Post

I agree that Haley looks like Joe’s kind of player, and if he doesn’t attack particularly well at least he hits like a truck when he’s last man.

That said, I think Joe does recognise Conway’s ability and if he was playing 15 for Munster he’d probably get a shot.
                But if Joe wanted Conway playing #15 for Munster he would be........

Comment

Originally posted by Yatenga View Post

But if Joe wanted Conway playing #15 for Munster he would be........
                  Absolutely. Haley has been good anytime he has played on the wing for us- so it’s not as as if we’d be losing out by shifting him (not that that would matter to Joe).

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy View Post

Mike Haley
                    Van Graan backs Haley for Ireland honours after finding his feet at Munster

The 24-year-old has been in impressive form for the province in recent times.

3 hours ago 4,498 Views 10 Comments
                    Share72 Tweet Email

Haley scored Munster's third try against Ospreys last week.
                    Image: Alex Davidson/INPHO

MUNSTER HEAD COACH Johann van Graan believes it’s just a matter of time before fullback Mike Haley gets his first Ireland cap.

The 24-year-old arrived from Sale Sharks in the summer to fill the void left behind by Simon Zebo’s departure to Racing 92 in France.

The Preston native, who is Irish qualified through his Kerry grandmother Vivien, has already played 18 times for Munster.

“He has found his feet over the past few weeks,” said van Graan.

“He came from England, he came in step by step. We said: ‘listen, don’t look for anything special, just do your job,’ and I think he has done it really well over the course of the season.

“He is delivering special moments, the last three weeks he was really good, safe under the high ball, making good decisions from the back, running some good lines.

He has been with the national team at all their camps, so I am sure at some stage when he earns it, he will be picked, that is in the future.

“The only thing that we want is for him to perform at Munster at this stage, but really happy with his form.”

Munster are top of the Pro14 Conference A before they make the trip to Scarlets on Saturday [KO 5pm, TG4/eir Sport/Premier Sports].

The fullback in training this week.Source: Oisin Keniry/INPHO

And van Graan says he is thrilled to have the contracts of scrum-half Alby Mathewson and out-half Tyler Bleyendaal extended, as they push for their first silverware since they won the league in 2011.

“It is great to have the players staying with us at Munster. If players stay it means that they are happy and they believe in what we are doing,” he continued.

“Alby has been very good this whole season for us. He is a key part in our season. It is pretty important that you get balance in your squad and that is why Neil Cronin started the last two games, to also give him that opportunity to develop.

“Tyler is a key part of our squad and he is such an experienced guy, especially at this part of the season you need experience to carry you through and he and Billy Holland have done an exceptional job in doing that.

“Great teams have great depth and you need depth in this competition.”
                    I am the million man.

Comment

Working...
                    X