6NR3) Italy V Ireland - Sun 24 Feb 16:00 - Olympic Stadium & Virgin Media

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Yatenga View Post

you may be right about Earls in general (although I dont agree) but I saw nothing from todays game to say you are right. OK it was against Italy, but I thought Earls was the only candidate apart from POM for MOTM, brought a lot of smarts, and invention to our center play. I saw enough to think hes a credible option alongside one of the bosh merchants. And his football skills and footwork need to be brought to play more often which playing at center does.
    Earls was ver very good throughout, yet again, and is a fine player and world class wing. He’s not a 13, and while Farrell might make a 12- this wasn’t the occasion for him to try out for the role- especially as a guy barely back to full fitness. Two misfits in midfield did us absolutely no favours. This isn’t a criticism of either player- but of a selection that left our options restricted, and an adjustment to Aki’s loss which was less likely to work than moving Sexton.

Comment

Originally posted by lawrence View Post

I have seen absolutely nothing that would give me the slightest inkling of confidence that we can beat Wales in Cardiff with them probably playing for a GS.
      Did you see anything in the Wales performance against France/Italy to think that they could win the GS?

Comment

Originally posted by In Joe we trust View Post

Did you see anything in the Wales performance against France/Italy to think that they could win the GS?
        Yea, the results.

Comment

Let's put this result in context. Wales only beat Italy by 11 points and only scored two tries and then went on to beat England.
          Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
          Yes lets put it in context, it was Wales A. Lets keep things in context shall we?
          \"Only Pienaar, Botha and Ferris would be in contention for a place on our first 15. That\'s a fact.\" - Tickettout\'s take on Ulster April 2011.

Comment

Can we please not have that combination of Horgan, Jennings and Williams on the panel ever again? I wanted to turn the whole thing off if I had been in control of the remote. It was hysterical nonsense and hyperbole and nothing more than 3 pundits trying desperately to stay relevant.

Listening to them disrespect Italy and O’Shea was just sad especially from ex players like Horgan and Jennings, but I guess it’s easy to be critical from the couch.

I have very little time for pundits who are just out to make a name for themselves. Some ex players are excellent, like ROG, others like Horgan are just desperately trying to stay relevant.

O’Shea has done a good job with Italy and we may not see it in results but to say that they haven’t improved is unfair. I think we’ll see the real improvements in a few years time, it’s a long process but it can’t be easy having to come out every year and play some of the top teams in the world and have moronic comments from ex players writing off any improvements made just because they get results against the likes of Wales, Ireland and England.

The Maul is Back!! LONG LIVE THE MAUL!!

Stringer is bigger even than his own immense shadow. Pound for pound, he is the best tackler in the world. If you put him into bag of cats he\'d come out without a scratch. He was hit very late for Murphy\'s try. And when he got up, as we knew he would, the crowd cried his name as if he had just fixed the economy.Billy Keane-After Munster\'s famous loss to the AB\'s.

The Bull-Truly irreplaceable, a mountain of a man. 100 caps!!

Comment

Originally posted by Stringer9 View Post
              Can we please not have that combination of Horgan, Jennings and Williams on the panel ever again? I wanted to turn the whole thing off if I had been in control of the remote. It was hysterical nonsense and hyperbole and nothing more than 3 pundits trying desperately to stay relevant.

Listening to them disrespect Italy and O’Shea was just sad especially from ex players like Horgan and Jennings, but I guess it’s easy to be critical from the couch.

I have very little time for pundits who are just out to make a name for themselves. Some ex players are excellent, like ROG, others like Horgan are just desperately trying to stay relevant.

O’Shea has done a good job with Italy and we may not see it in results but to say that they haven’t improved is unfair. I think we’ll see the real improvements in a few years time, it’s a long process but it can’t be easy having to come out every year and play some of the top teams in the world and have moronic comments from ex players writing off any improvements made just because they get results against the likes of Wales, Ireland and England.
              Italy can take a lot of confidence from that win, and hopefully will get a result against France, I think it will be a game they are targeting and with some luck they will win it

Comment

I have seen absolutely nothing that would give me the slightest inkling of confidence that we can beat Wales in Cardiff with them probably playing for a GS.
                I've seen enough from this team in the near past to know that they absolutely can beat Wales in Cardiff. And that this is fast becoming the determination of an acceptable or unacceptable tournament from an Irish point of view. We need to speed up the rucks and Murray needs to be more responsive or else we can bring Cooney in. Sexton would really want to pull it together to be selected, he's playing like a drain. If we get Ringshaw back on the pitch we have a midfield more used to distributing to our wingers, we know our wingers can score tries.
                If we continue to get beaten up in the pack and our halfbacks continue to slow our game then we are cooked. But I'd like to think this team can raise their standards.

Comment

Originally posted by timbot View Post

I've seen enough from this team in the near past to know that they absolutely can beat Wales in Cardiff. And that this is fast becoming the determination of an acceptable or unacceptable tournament from an Irish point of view. We need to speed up the rucks and Murray needs to be more responsive or else we can bring Cooney in. Sexton would really want to pull it together to be selected, he's playing like a drain. If we get Ringshaw back on the pitch we have a midfield more used to distributing to our wingers, we know our wingers can score tries.
                  If we continue to get beaten up in the pack and our halfbacks continue to slow our game then we are cooked. But I'd like to think this team can raise their standards.
                  You have a lot of “IF’s” in that analysis, which is all well and good but look at the facts, home advantage is huge, and the welsh fans will be well up for it.

We have the worst FB in the competition up against the best FB, we have one ten playing badly and they have two playing well, the reluctance to sub Johnny is also dangerous. The fact that he is undroppable is wrong.

Talk of ringrosw is fine but it’s possible that we will have a different midfield pairing for every game in the 6N and that’s not good.

Wales are a great team, confident without being cocky, no superstars but no passengers either. I would genuinely be surprised if it’s for a grand slam and we stop them doing it.

Comment

Originally posted by Talking Sense View Post

Yes lets put it in context, it was Wales A. Lets keep things in context shall we?
                    Yeah about 13 of the 23 that played England played for Wales in Italy - but hey lets assume that they are all A team players

Comment

Yeah about 13 of the 23 that played England played for Wales in Italy - but hey lets assume that they are all A team players
                      Ok mate,

Smith Dee Lee Ball Beard Wainwright Young Navidi Davies Biggar Adams Watkin Davies Holmes Williams

Evans Owens Francis Hill Jones Navidi Tipuric Moriarty Davies Anscombe Adams Parkes Davies North Williams

So yeah 11 changes so yeah Wales A.
                      \"Only Pienaar, Botha and Ferris would be in contention for a place on our first 15. That\'s a fact.\" - Tickettout\'s take on Ulster April 2011.

Comment

You have a lot of “IF’s” in that analysis, which is all well and good but look at the facts, home advantage is huge, and the welsh fans will be well up for it.

We have the worst FB in the competition up against the best FB, we have one ten playing badly and they have two playing well, the reluctance to sub Johnny is also dangerous. The fact that he is undroppable is wrong.

Talk of ringrosw is fine but it’s possible that we will have a different midfield pairing for every game in the 6N and that’s not good.

Wales are a great team, confident without being cocky, no superstars but no passengers either. I would genuinely be surprised if it’s for a grand slam and we stop them doing it.
                        Wales are not a great team. Will you stop with the ****e talk. They are around the same level as ourselves and England. A few injuries to key players is what turns these games. Mako and Itoje being out won it for Wales.

Comment

Originally posted by Isa View Post

Wales are not a great team. Will you stop with the ****e talk. They are around the same level as ourselves and England. A few injuries to key players is what turns these games. Mako and Itoje being out won it for Wales.
                          Apparently they are better than England, who themselves are better than us by about 12 points or so.

Comment

Apparently they are better than England, who themselves are better than us by about 12 points or so.
                            Your right. Ireland beat NZ, England beat Ireland and Wales beat England. Wales are a great side and no doubt the best side in the world.

Comment

A BP win away with your captain missing, two Pro14 standard second rows, a make shift No. 8 and an untried centre partnership ain't such a bad result. Ireland are in dire need to try a replacement FB and No. 8 before Japan.
                              He's a guy who gets up at six o'clock in the morning regardless of what time it is.

Comment

Don't read too much into a dip in form. Ireland can beat Wales alright. But much depends on what team we have. One of uncle Joe's strengths is setting up to neutralise the opposition but we need key players.

Comment

Working...
                                X