6NR3) Italy V Ireland - Sun 24 Feb 16:00 - Olympic Stadium & Virgin Media

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

The difference between Leavy and Murphy (who I thought worked hard and gave it his best) is stark, in fact the drop off from our front liners is huge, if POM wasnt playing we may well have lost that game.

Murray is clearly out of sorts (I wonder whats going on with his body) and ditto Sexton, hes very out of sorts, that kick off at the start of 2nd half is something we dont see from him. Cronin showed us what we feared, he cannot be trusted with the 2 jersey.

Rob continues to be below average and get away with it, his attempt on Hayward for try no1 was pathetic and he could have gone down on the ball for try no2 but for some reason the media dont really mention these, if Henshaw had done them you could rest assured they would be mentioned. You'd have to wonder how much longer the Kearney supporters in the media can roll out this goalkeeper nonsense with these defensive errors and him failing to catch a straightforward kick. Conway got a ball out wide not long after coming onto the pitch and he gave Earls an early ball in space and Earls cut them a new one, why Rob wont pass him the ball is beyond me. Just for reference heres the stats for the fullbacks this weekend:

Liam Williams -- Pass - 3 Run - 18 Met Ran - 52 Clean Break - 1 Def Beaten - 4 Turnovers Conceded - 0 Tackles - 2 Missed Tackles - 1

Elliot Daly -- Pass - 8 Run - 12 Met Ran - 47 Clean Break - 0 Def Beaten - 0 Turnovers Conceded - 0 Tackles - 2 Missed Tackles - 0

Tomas Ramos -- Pass - 11 Run - 8 Met Ran - 67 Clean Break - 1 Def Beaten - 7 Turnovers Conceded - 1 Tackles - 1 Missed Tackles - 0

Blair Kinghorn -- Pass - 4 Run - 16 Met Ran - 122 Clean Break - 2 Def Beaten - 3 Turnovers Conceded - 3 Tackles - 5 Missed Tackles - 1

Jayden Hayward -- Pass - 7 Run - 11 Met Ran - 142 Clean Break - 2 Def Beaten - 6 Turnovers Conceded - 0 Tackles - 1 Missed Tackles - 0

Rob Kearney -- Pass - 2 Run - 7 Met Ran - 13 Clean Break - 0 Def Beaten - 1 Turnovers Conceded - 2 Tackles - 4 Missed Tackles - 1
      \"Only Pienaar, Botha and Ferris would be in contention for a place on our first 15. That\'s a fact.\" - Tickettout\'s take on Ulster April 2011.

Comment

Originally posted by blade View Post
        Scannell not up to test Rugby.
        Good man, blade... what did Scannell ever do on you??

As you posted a few weeks ago:

Originally posted by blade View Post
        Kevin O Byrne should be brought into the squad for
        World Cup. Best Hooker in Munster at the moment.
        "There are a lot of points that we’ve left behind and this is with a young group. That probably tells you what they’re capable of and that they’re a very good side.

Probably next year or the year after next they will take some stopping"

Anthony Foley, May 2016. Axel RIP

Comment

Originally posted by mr chips View Post

Do you mean specifically at 13, or in general? If the latter, I would have to disagree. If the former, it's true that he's more lightweight now than most centres these days, but there's nothing wrong with his technique. A few years back, he gave an interview in which he attributed the long period of time he'd spent uninjured (in contrast to spending much of the preceding few seasons variously rehabbing a knee/shoulder/calf etc) to the fact that he'd deliberately "bulked down", i.e. reduced his overall muscle mass to return to something approximating his natural bodyweight. Seems to have worked for him too.
          Specifically at 13. He’s an excellent defender on the wing and in broken play.

When defending at OC he looks a bit hesitant and gets a bit passive, then, because he’s not massive and he’s drifting, he can get bumped. Tends to recover well and make tackles but he gave up quite a bit of yardage today at times.

I’m a huge fan of Earsly and the best thing he ever did was slim down to his natural fighting weight but I don’t think he’s a great option in defence at 13. He and Farrell did combine well in attack though.

Comment

I wonder will any of the media question joes selections.

Hindsight is great but not having midfield cover on the bench was a mistake that would have been punished more by a better team, earls for all his abilities is not a good enough defensive 13 and with Farrell starting, his history and injury profile it would have been safer having a centre on the bench that could do a job out wide as opposed to a winger doing a job in the middle.

The delay in replacing sexton was a mistake, Cooney could have come on earlier also.

On what planet is VDF behind SOB and Jordi?

Why not start Conway at 15? We all know what rob can and can’t do. If it’s good enough to experiment with a green Fb against England then surely we could afford to start Conway there against Italy.

There was a time that joe was ruthless with selections, in form players got picked and our success was based on that, now poorly performing players can’t find a way out of the team.

Comment

Originally posted by lawrence View Post
              I wonder will any of the media question joes selections.

Hindsight is great but not having midfield cover on the bench was a mistake that would have been punished more by a better team, earls for all his abilities is not a good enough defensive 13 and with Farrell starting, his history and injury profile it would have been safer having a centre on the bench that could do a job out wide as opposed to a winger doing a job in the middle.

The delay in replacing sexton was a mistake, Cooney could have come on earlier also.

On what planet is VDF behind SOB and Jordi?

Why not start Conway at 15? We all know what rob can and can’t do. If it’s good enough to experiment with a green Fb against England then surely we could afford to start Conway there against Italy.

There was a time that joe was ruthless with selections, in form players got picked and our success was based on that, now poorly performing players can’t find a way out of the team.
              A lot of the selection was predicated on keeping as many key players as possible fresh for 2 tough games coming up, we will be expected to get past a shaky France but if we beat the Wales then the campaign will look reasonable. Ideally we need our best XV starting and not knackered. You can't over estimate how important Jiminny Ryan, Stander, Murray and Sexbomb/Carferry on form and Mr X factor himself Rongrise are. We have depth but without that spine, we're just a very decent side.
              Schmidt tried to pick a team that could get the 5 points v Italy and rest a few and we would have been ok probably but for errors such as failing to win attacking lineouts where we might have scored. Instead we gave them encouragement and they are useful enough to be a danger if we let them.
              Last edited by tippete7trees; 24th-February-2019, 22:53.

Comment

Originally posted by Waterfordlad View Post

Good man, blade... what did Scannell ever do on you??

As you posted a few weeks ago:

Blade = O’Byrne

Comment

It was a good win considering the amount of errors. The handling and passing was bad. Too many players contributed to the mistakes.

It might indicate mental fatigue. They had a big year last year but look a bit off this year. From winning the grand slam to going on the Australian tour and then November Vs New Zealand. Then at Christmas the derbies started, then into big European matches and they're also fighting near the top of the pro14.

It's certainly better for it to happen now rather than the world cup. Remember 07.

Comment

We are struggling at 9 and 10. That’s obvious. I think Schmidt mentioned in the press conference when the team was announced that CJ would be back in contention against France. I think we missed him big time. I think the lack of ball carriers is not helping our 9 or 10 because we not making easy ground going forward. It’s putting them under more pressure which ordinarily would be ok because they could deal with it but it just puts on more and more pressure while they are struggling.

It’s rare that Sexton or Murray have a poor run of games, never mind both of them playing poorly at the same time. They are lacking in confidence, form and patience, they are getting visibly frustrated and the fact that they are both playing poorly is making everything worse. Neither can take the pressure off the other. We know that they will both eventually come out of this bad patch, hopefully sooner rather than later, but would we not be better off trying to just get one player out of bad form instead of two?

Ideally you want both Sexton and Murray starting together but at the moment it seems like it’s doing more harm than good. But if we swap out Sexton for Carbery, who plays with Murray each week and is playing so well at the moment, could that not help push Murray back in to playing comfortably and getting back in to the flow. It would take pressure from him and let him just get on with his game.
                    We’ve seen good rugby from Murray recently. We’ve seen him play very well, not so long ago he looked like he was taking the piss against Gloucester, he just need that boost. I don’t know are we just shooting ourself in the foot trying to get both Sexton and Murray to play well by trying to force them in to good form together. Are we better off concentrating on one at a time?
                    I also think Sexton coming off the bench v France like a bull could be the push he needs.

Another big problem is 15. We know this, we know what Kearney can offer (so do Scotland, South Africa etc.)

We don’t seem to have a notion who our back up 15 is and we’re only a few months out from the WC. We should have used this opportunity to try another player out at fullback but we didn’t. We have a very limited number of games before the WC to figure out an alternative 15 and looking from the outside in, it looks like we haven’t a clue. Schmidt either needs to work out a real alternative option that he trusts to do a good job at 15 or he needs to bring Zebo back in.
                    We need to show that we learned something from the last WC because if we fast forward to the WC and Kearney gets injured, Schmidt’s plan is what? To throw Henshaw in at 15 during a WC semi final and hope for the best?

Maybe he has a plan, it just doesn’t look like it at the monent and we’re running out of time.
                    Last edited by Stringer9; 25th-February-2019, 08:03.
                    The Maul is Back!! LONG LIVE THE MAUL!!

Stringer is bigger even than his own immense shadow. Pound for pound, he is the best tackler in the world. If you put him into bag of cats he\'d come out without a scratch. He was hit very late for Murphy\'s try. And when he got up, as we knew he would, the crowd cried his name as if he had just fixed the economy.Billy Keane-After Munster\'s famous loss to the AB\'s.

The Bull-Truly irreplaceable, a mountain of a man. 100 caps!!

Comment

Originally posted by jagawayagain View Post
                      Aki going off really disrupted us badly. Would have preferred to see sexton move to 12, and Carty come on.

While Cronin was beyond poor, I wonder whether the low sun bothered Cronin/jumpers on first half lineouts. lovely when Scannell came on he hit POM easily a few times. Killer was outstanding.
                      YES! Killer kept us going forward when the rest were wilting (POM excepted).

Comment

Let's put this result in context. Wales only beat Italy by 11 points and only scored two tries and then went on to beat England. We've seen the impact on England of losing a couple of key players against Wales.

We were missing Healy, best, porter, Ryan, toner, Beirne, Leavy, CJ, Carberry, Henshaw, Ringrose and effectively aki and despite playing badly we still won away with a bonus point.

I think its obvious that for the first time the 6nations is not the priority for the IRFU.

Apart from the stockdale try against Scotland we have seen no attempts at trick plays, no set piece moves, no real attempts at a kicking game to play territory etc apart from some box kicking and no real efforts at the pick and go game up the middle.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Munsterboy View Post

Completely agree with this. Earls is willing and quite a threat in attack from 13 but he’s not that comfortable in defence and is a bit too easily bounced. Sexton can play 12 and should move out one in such scenarios.
                          you may be right about Earls in general (although I dont agree) but I saw nothing from todays game to say you are right. OK it was against Italy, but I thought Earls was the only candidate apart from POM for MOTM, brought a lot of smarts, and invention to our center play. I saw enough to think hes a credible option alongside one of the bosh merchants. And his football skills and footwork need to be brought to play more often which playing at center does.

Comment

Murray should stop trying to ref the game and start playing the game. Ball robbed from his hands twice by Italy inside their 22 - dropping offense if it was anyone else.

Comment

Originally posted by Stringer9 View Post
                              We are struggling at 9 and 10. That’s obvious. I think Schmidt mentioned in the press conference when the team was announced that CJ would be back in contention against France. I think we missed him big time. I think the lack of ball carriers is not helping our 9 or 10 because we not making easy ground going forward. It’s putting them under more pressure which ordinarily would be ok because they could deal with it but it just puts on more and more pressure while they are struggling.

It’s rare that Sexton or Murray have a poor run of games, never mind both of them playing poorly at the same time. They are lacking in confidence, form and patience, they are getting visibly frustrated and the fact that they are both playing poorly is making everything worse. Neither can take the pressure off the other. We know that they will both eventually come out of this bad patch, hopefully sooner rather than later, but would we not be better off trying to just get one player out of bad for instead of two?
                              Ideally you want both Sexton and Murray starting together but at the moment it seems like we’re doing more harm than good. But if we swap out Sexton for Carbery who plays with Murray each week and is playing so well at the moment, could that not help push Murray back in to playing comfortably and getting back in to the flow. It would take pressure from Murray and let him just get on with his game. We’ve seen good rugby from Murray recently. We’ve seen him play very well, not so long ago he looked like he was taking the piss against Gloucester, he just need that boost. I don’t know are we just shooting ourself in the foot trying to get both Sexton and Murray to play well by trying to force them in to good form together. Are we better off concentrating on one at a time? I also think Sexton coming off the bench v France like a bull and could be the push he needs.

Another big problem is 15. We know this, we know what Kearney can offer (so do Scotland, South Africa etc.)

We don’t seem to a notion who our back up 15 is and we’re only a few months out for the WC. We should have used this opportunity to try another player out at fullback but we didn’t. It’s obvious what Kearney offers, we know this. We have a very limited number of games before the WC to figure out an alternative 15 and looking from the outside in, it looks like we haven’t a clue. Schmidt either needs to work out a real alternative option that he trusts to do a good job at 15 or he needs to bring Zebo back in.. We need to show that we learned something from the last WC because if we fast forward to the WC and Kearney gets injured, Schmidt’s plan is to throw a centre in Henshaw in at 15 during a WC semi final?
                              Excellent post-

Comment

Originally posted by tippete7trees View Post

A lot of the selection was predicated on keeping as many key players as possible fresh for 2 tough games coming up, we will be expected to get past a shaky France but if we beat the Wales then the campaign will look reasonable. Ideally we need our best XV starting and not knackered. You can't over estimate how important Jiminny Ryan, Stander, Murray and Sexbomb/Carferry on form and Mr X factor himself Rongrise are. We have depth but without that spine, we're just a very decent side.
                                Schmidt tried to pick a team that could get the 5 points v Italy and rest a few and we would have been ok probably but for errors such as failing to win attacking lineouts where we might have scored. Instead we gave them encouragement and they are useful enough to be a danger if we let them.
                                I have seen absolutely nothing that would give me the slightest inkling of confidence that we can beat Wales in Cardiff with them probably playing for a GS.

Comment

Working...
                                X