No announcement yet.

Scotland v Ireland Sat 9th Feb 14:15

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Neither Murray & Sexton are playing at their best but that does not mean that they are playing badly , they are a bit hit and miss , no surprise when they have both missed a lot a games .Teams are blocking our kick chasers and blitzing our midfield and one out runners . There is a clear need to vary our depth , improve midfield passing and bring more pick and goes through the middle . A little more variation on our kicking some dinks and angles is also called for . Still better to be learning now than at the WC .

Comment

Originally posted by outside inside View Post
      Neither Murray & Sexton are playing at their best but that does not mean that they are playing badly , they are a bit hit and miss , no surprise when they have both missed a lot a games .Teams are blocking our kick chasers and blitzing our midfield and one out runners . There is a clear need to vary our depth , improve midfield passing and bring more pick and goes through the middle . A little more variation on our kicking some dinks and angles is also called for . Still better to be learning now than at the WC .
      100%...….. Spot on even
      Anybody who sees a psychiatrist would want their head examined.*&nb sp;Henry Ford

Comment

We’ve also had two refs so far who tend to allow a lot of messing at the breakdown. The ball has been fecking slow and given our tendency to recycle rather than offload it really ruins our rythm.

Partly our problem to deal with but hopefully we’ll have a bit less of it in the remaining fixtures.

Comment

Looking forward to the RWC it's good to see our depth being tested and overcoming injuries within one week.

By choice/injury we went to Scotland and beat them playing poorly without McGrath, toner, Beirne, Henderson, Ruddock, Leavy, CJ, Marmian, henshaw, ringrose, Conway,

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by jagawayagain View Post

I think it would have been a stonewall yellow for most refs, but It was missed. You could argue that it was reckless/dangerous and this perhaps even a red. I may be wrong, but I think that an obvious yellow being missed is sufficient grounds for a citing. Whether the citing would be upheld, and result in a ban is another matter. Presuming the 48 hour rule holds for 6N, it looks like I’m wrong- and very happy to be so.
            It was definitely a stonewall yellow and it was very lucky for POM that the TMO didn't review it - would also have ruled out Murray's try.
            Townsend must be furious particularly if Hogg also misses the World Cup (as an article in the Daily Mail is suggesting today).

Comment

Originally posted by Isa View Post

Agree totally. Class player but is taking an age to get the ball away at rucks.
              Sexton not helping hinself. It's like he is asking to be smashed. If it continues like that he won't last much longer.
              Best is just about done at this level. Sad for him that the world cup is a year too late for him.
              Aki is game but neither has the passing or the brain in the big games.
              Kearney did alright but another who just about done.
              SOB looked really good. Fellas with his Injury profile usually get 12-18 months at the latter end of their careers where they stay injury free ala Wilkikson. Hopefully he gets that.

Delighted with the way we are playing. The hype would have been ridiculous if we had won 6 nations this year. Will focus the minds for the road ahead.
              Why do you say Best is done? Is it just his age. Against Scotland he was all over the pitch and one of the first players to the breakdown, where, as usual he made his presence felt. Great engine on him. I would have nothing against his being dropped provided he were replaced by a better all-round hooker. But I don't see one at the moment.

Erse end of nowhere

Comment

Originally posted by Spiffy View Post

Why do you say Best is done? Is it just his age. Against Scotland he was all over the pitch and one of the first players to the breakdown, where, as usual he made his presence felt. Great engine on him. I would have nothing against his being dropped provided he were replaced by a better all-round hooker. But I don't see one at the moment.
                That's fair. He's been a great servant to Irish rugby and is also a very level headed captain and on field leader which is very valuable. However while he was undoubtedly better versus Scotland, he appeared to really struggle versus England, as did a few others to be fair. Also think his throwing necessitates having Toner in the lineout because inconsistencies at times.and Toner didn't offer a lot versus England either.. Can Scannell (or another Irish Hooker) be any better?!?

my worry is that SA are going to ramp up the physicality in Japan, as are any sides Ireland hopefully will face after the Qf. Best is good but ageing, and a Hooker with a more physical presence and better likely recovery rate might suit Ireland better, all else being equal. But as you say, that player needs to put their hand up, & fast!!
                Last edited by Daithi; 13th-February-2019, 22:11.

alas they are just north munster now.......

Comment

Originally posted by tmc1963 View Post

It was definitely a stonewall yellow and it was very lucky for POM that the TMO didn't review it - would also have ruled out Murray's try.
                  Townsend must be furious particularly if Hogg also misses the World Cup (as an article in the Daily Mail is suggesting today).
                  Maybe if Hogg didn’t have a reputation for diving and feigning injury the TMO would have paid more attention. Even though he ended up injuring his shoulder he still went down holding his head. Maybe, while he is recovering he could use his time reading the story about the boy who cried wolf.

Comment

Originally posted by Munsterboy View Post
                    We’ve also had two refs so far who tend to allow a lot of messing at the breakdown. The ball has been fecking slow and given our tendency to recycle rather than offload it really ruins our rythm.

Partly our problem to deal with but hopefully we’ll have a bit less of it in the remaining fixtures.
                    The worry is that we get someone like Barnes, Garces or, God forbid, Doyle in a QF against SA, they let the tacklers lie all over the place, require the jackals to take hours of punishment to win a turnover and it becomes 15 man rugby league. I think Schmidt could fast track Kleyn into the squad to cover such an eventuality.

Comment

Originally posted by the plastic paddy View Post

The worry is that we get someone like Barnes, Garces or, God forbid, Doyle in a QF against SA, they let the tacklers lie all over the place, require the jackals to take hours of punishment to win a turnover and it becomes 15 man rugby league. I think Schmidt could fast track Kleyn into the squad to cover such an eventuality.
                      I’m surprised Kleyn hasn’t been part of the Carlton crew anyway, TB was before he was eligible, and as far as I know he hasn’t been. Whatever the loyalty to Toner, he is surely better than Roux, and as we’ve seen we’re a few injuries in SR away from looking threadbare.

Comment

I’m surprised Kleyn hasn’t been part of the Carlton crew anyway, TB was before he was eligible, and as far as I know he hasn’t been. Whatever the loyalty to Toner, he is surely better than Roux, and as we’ve seen we’re a few injuries in SR away from looking threadbare.
                        I thought Roux played very well against Boooooland last weekend. It wasn’t glamorous but he did a lot of unglamorous hitting of things and iirc I think the lineout was near faultless.

Comment

I thought Roux played very well against Boooooland last weekend. It wasn’t glamorous but he did a lot of unglamorous hitting of things and iirc I think the lineout was near faultless.
                          Yes- I think he was ok as well- but I think Kleyn is substantially better, and has more to offer Ireland- maybe that’s just munster tinted spectacles, but I think a fit Kleyn would be in/benching most international sides. I think Roux, and for that matter Dillane, are a bit away from that.

Comment

Yes- I think he was ok as well- but I think Kleyn is substantially better, and has more to offer Ireland- maybe that’s just munster tinted spectacles, but I think a fit Kleyn would be in/benching most international sides. I think Roux, and for that matter Dillane, are a bit away from that.

Comment

Well roux and Dillane are 5th and 6th choice. Kleyn could potentially move into 5th spot alright

Comment

Originally posted by In Joe we trust View Post
                                Well roux and Dillane are 5th and 6th choice. Kleyn could potentially move into 5th spot alright

Possibly even higher- I would pick him ahead of Henderson and Toner- I realise we might disagree regarding the latter.

Comment

Working...
                                X