Scotland v Ireland Sat 9th Feb 14:15

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rabb1tts Jump View Post

Finally, an aside on Kearney. In soccer France won the world cup with Oliver Giroud up front.

And finally, not as an aside, no RUGBY side has EVER won the RUGBY World Cup while effectively banishing their best 15 from international selection, just to persist with a visibly aging and deteriorating full back, who can no longer do simple staples for the position such as passing the ball to wingers (or others) in space, punting back effectively, etc, etc. Kearney is a liability and he is getting worse imho.
    Last edited by Daithi; 11th-February-2019, 14:57.

alas they are just north munster now.......

Comment

I watched the excellent highlights programme on virgin last night. I think Murray Kinsella did a piece on Ireland's errors. Ireland were very poor with the ball in hand versus Scotland e.g. centres running into each other, multiple passes along the floor, bullet passes to forwards at point blank distances leading to inevitable handling errors, passes to no-one in particular putting covering players under unnecessary ferocious pressure and that's before we ever get to Ireland's kicking game.

Ireland's kicking game has gone from excellent to poor & predictable : overuse of the box kick, (yawn), overcooked boxx kicks & garryowens, ineffective kick chase at times, Sexton's kicking game is way off radar now and he really looks a poor second to the excellent Farrell currently. Other player's kicking not nearly good enough either e.g. Henshaw, Earls, etc,etc Ireland's maul and set piece also need to be much better.....

Worrying tbh, playing like this Ireland look likely to disappointingly exit (yet) another world cup at the quarter final stage, versus SA, which would be awful.

p.s. So what to do imho:

1. New kicking coach, drills, etc, etc
      2. Blood a new hooker in the 6Ns e.g. Scannell, or other.
      3. Get Zebo back from France at season end for the RWC
      4. Try newer players this 6Ns e.g. Carbery v Italy (no brainer,,,, scuse the pun )
      Last edited by Daithi; 11th-February-2019, 18:37.

Comment

Originally posted by lawrence View Post
        He’s not playing well, his decision making is poor, all credit to him for playing the game in such a way that he takes so much damage, it’s unnecessary and opens himself up for problems. Carbery has no problem putting people into space without taking punishment in a way that affected his performance.
        Are you talking to me? Very interesting of you to try sneak in a reply with no quote so I won’t see it. If you want the last word so much that you will resort to that I’ll let you have it. Have a nice week

Comment

Originally posted by Daithi View Post
          I watched the excellent highlights programme on virgin last night. I think Murray Kinsella did a piece on Ireland's errors. Ireland were very poor with the ball in hand versus Scotland e.g. centres running into each other, multiple passes along the floor, bullet passes to forwards at point blank distances leading to inevitable handling errors, passes to no-one in particular putting covering players under unnecessary ferocious pressure and that's before we ever get to Ireland's kicking game.

Ireland's kicking game has gone from excellent to poor & predictable : overuse of the box kick, (yawn), overcooked boxx kicks & garryowens, ineffective kick chase at times, Sexton's kicking game is way off radar now and he really looks a poor second to the excellent Farrell currently. Other player's kicking not nearly good enough either e.g. Henshaw, Earls, etc,etc Ireland's maul and set piece also need to be much better.....

Worrying tbh, Ireland look likely to disappointingly exit another world cup at quarter final stage in this form, which would be awful.

p.s. so what to do:

1. New kicking coach, drills, etc, etc
          2. Blood a new hooker in the 6Ns e.g. Scannell, or other.
          3. Get Zebo back from France at season end for the RWC
          4. Try newer players this 6Ns e.g. Carbery v Italy (no brainer,,,, scuse the pun )
          Dont think a new kicking coach is necessarily needed. We should be looking beyond Best at hooker considering we need more options as Cronin still doesnt do enough for me
          No chance of Zebo coming back for the world cup and we shouldnt look to do it. Keeping people in Ireland has worked and we shouldnt really be making exceptions.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Konys barmy army View Post

Are you talking to me? Very interesting of you to try sneak in a reply with no quote so I won’t see it. If you want the last word so much that you will resort to that I’ll let you have it. Have a nice week
            I think by definition when one posts on an internet forum (not replying to anyone in particular) you are effectively 'talking' to everyone!!

Paranoid android. I suggest a good walk , constructive chats with mates and stay away from loud noises (& internet fora) until you get your perspective 'back'!?

Comment

I think by definition when one posts on an internet forum (not replying to anyone in particular) you are effectively 'talking' to everyone!!

Paranoid android. I suggest a good walk , constructive chats with mates and stay away from loud noises (& internet fora) until you get your perspective 'back'!?
              While I could be mistaken I would hardly say it’s paranoid to suggest what I suggested given the previous posts.

Thanks for your advice all the same,

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Konys barmy army View Post

Ha ha ha ha. Take a few days off for yourself there lad.

Comment

Originally posted by ormond lad View Post
                  Dont think a new kicking coach is necessarily needed. We should be looking beyond Best at hooker considering we need more options as Cronin still doesnt do enough for me
                  No chance of Zebo coming back for the world cup and we shouldnt look to do it. Keeping people in Ireland has worked and we shouldnt really be making exceptions.

Why isn't a new kicking coach needed? Our main competitors are kicking better than Ireland and it is all players , not just one => a coaching deficiency

Why isn't there any chance of Zebo coming back for the world cup!? If Munster /IRFU offered a central contract at the end of this season, he would be back. Incidentally, this would not be an exception, Leinster and Ireland sought out Johnny Sexton with a contract to lure him back and that has worked very well IMHO.

p.s. incidentally Sexton was also picked for Ireland while playing overseas so in that sense there is precedent even if the IRFU & JS 'want' to pick Zebo for the RWC say while still continuing to playing his club rugby overseas next season after the rwc. This is now the sensible thing to do imho.
                  Last edited by Daithi; 11th-February-2019, 19:55.

Comment

Originally posted by ormond lad View Post
                    I agree. Exceptions will do more harm than good. If Zebo agrees to come back at the end of the season with a central contract then happy days but under no circumstances should he otherwise be selected.

Sexton went to France with a clause in his contract about being made available for International training and major efforts were made to bring him back. Bowe was also brought back. IRFU learned and people cannot be let go easily.

If Zebo is picked then the disincentive to moving away by losing the Irish jersey is taken away. If exceptions are made then the provinces will suffer, and so will the national team as we will not have the same control over players and their welfare. I would prefer for us to be sustainably successful at provincial level, to win the odd six nations/grand slam, to winning regularly against the likes of SA and Aus, rather than prostitute ourselves chasing a World Cup.

But this is just my opinion. Fully respect there are alternative views.
                    Last edited by The Last Stand; 11th-February-2019, 19:57.

Comment

Why isn't a new kicking coach needed? Our main competitors are kicking better than Ireland and it is all players , not just one => a coaching deficiency

Why isn't there any chance of Zebo coming back for the world cup!? If Munster /IRFU offered a central contract at the end of this season, he would be back. Incidentally, this would not be an exception, Leinster and Ireland sought to give Johnny Sexton a contract to lure him back and that has worked well IMHO.

p.s. incidentally Sexton was also picked for Ireland while playing overseas so in that sense there is precedent even if the IRFU & JS 'want' to pick Zebo for the RWC say while staying playing club rugby overseas next season. This is now the sensible thing to do imho.
                      Am a huge fan of Zebo, and would love to see him at full back for Ireland and us. However, he made a choice to go, in full knowledge of the consequences for his Ireland place- I would say it was a really hard choice to make and fair play to him he has clearly done very well in Paris. Whether he could (contractually) or would (want to come back soon enough to) play in the World Cup is, I think, beyond hypothetical. I agree that it would be a bad precedent to set (Sexton went knowing he could continue playing for Ireland despite being abroad), and undermine the strength of the provinces that has been such a success individually in europe, and collectively for Ireland. There are several options we could/should try as replacement or back up for Kearney, and all deserve a shot before the separate move of trying to fix it for Simon to come back (and as I said above I speak as a big fan of his).

Comment

Originally posted by Dougie View Post

Cited? Do you think it was a red card?
                        I think it would have been a stonewall yellow for most refs, but It was missed. You could argue that it was reckless/dangerous and this perhaps even a red. I may be wrong, but I think that an obvious yellow being missed is sufficient grounds for a citing. Whether the citing would be upheld, and result in a ban is another matter. Presuming the 48 hour rule holds for 6N, it looks like I’m wrong- and very happy to be so.

Comment

Will SOB now be excluded from Ireland setup now that he's off to LI next season?
                          There is one way to find out if a man is honest; ask him! If he says yes you know he\'s crooked.
                          Groucho Marx

Comment

Originally posted by spanish red View Post
                            Will SOB now be excluded from Ireland setup now that he's off to LI next season?
                            I know where I’m putting my money!

Comment

Originally posted by spanish red View Post
                              Indo says he won’t be picked so it must be true
                              "There are a lot of points that we’ve left behind and this is with a young group. That probably tells you what they’re capable of and that they’re a very good side.

Probably next year or the year after next they will take some stopping"

Anthony Foley, May 2016. Axel RIP

Comment

Originally posted by cornerboy View Post

I thought he played quite well.
                                I was at the match and believe me his kicking was very poor and he was took much time at the base of the rucks passing

When their numbers dwindled from 50 to 8, the other dwarves began to suspect Hungry

Comment

Working...
                                X