Scotland v Ireland Sat 9th Feb 14:15

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Munsterboy View Post

We do need to move beyond needing to have a very tall lad (in the second row to win our lineout. Ryan’s no short arse and POM is so springy that we should be able to vary our lineout enough to accommodate Hendo or Beirne (or Dillane for that matter).

I wouldn’t be ditching Dev entirely but I wouldn’t be starting him every game either.
    It's not just down to his height. Joe doesn't fully trust the other options to call the line outs.

Comment

Originally posted by lawrence View Post
      sexton is not playing well, his temperament is a problem and he is not making the best call for the team at times, and that’s evident for Leinster as well as Ireland. Dropping him would be the best kick in the hole he could get in a defining year of his career
      Sexton is clearly our best out-half, having a bad run of form coming back from injury and was ferociously targeted in 100 minutes of rugby over two weeks as he sought to play on the gain line.

It is possible that dropping him will give him a kick in the hole and make him come back stronger.

It may also destroy his confidence, cause him to doubt himself and decide that the best thing to do is sit in the pocket and protect himself. In the run up to the World Cup, that would deprive us of the qualities that have made him ours and the world's best number 10.

I don't know which it will do, but I think we need to be cautious about throwing babies out with the bathwater in the run up to the world cup, and also throwing babies into the bath as well, as we saw against England.

Finally, an aside on Kearney. In soccer France won the world cup with Oliver Giroud up front.

Comment

All this talk of Kearney playing well is nonsense.

He played well compared to his last outing and better than henshaw the week before.

When you make a linrbreak and ignore someone as potent as stockdale on at least two occasions then you can’t be considered to have played well. The top scorer of try’s is the top scorer for a reason and Kearney ignores the opportunity, let’s tone down the praise he is receiving.

Comment

He played well compared to his last outing and better than henshaw the week before.
          They are the two most important metrics of his performance. Everything else is fluff.

Comment

Originally posted by Rabb1tts Jump View Post

Sexton is clearly our best out-half, having a bad run of form.......

Touch of a contradiction about that one

Comment

Bias can be funny sometimes, but to credit that try to Sexton is just delusion, Stockdale put in a great kick off a pass from Sexton and the only turnover was a few phases beforehand when Sexton and stockdale mistimed a run, POM has as much a right to the assist on that for taking out hogg.

Thanks for adding the pro 14 accolade to his European player of the year nomination, (something neither Leinster lock recurved) copperfastenig Bernie’s case for a start ahead of Ryan or Toner.

sexton is not playing well, his temperament is a problem and he is not making the best call for the team at times, and that’s evident for Leinster as well as Ireland. Dropping him would be the best kick in the hole he could get in a defining year of his career
              Ohh a nomination .... over a dozen lads just got nominated for that after the group stages this year .... jog on with your nomination. Next you will be telling me how munster won two made it to the semi final accolades last year .... THE DOUBLE!!! Actually what sort of an accolade did you pick up in Anglo-Irish ? There must me no room for birthday cards on the mantle piece in Thomond Park with all them plaques.

Again id start Bernie with Ryan so I’m not disagreeing with you
              “One, Fineen needs to be louder, angrier, and have access to a time machine. Two, whenever Fineen’s not on field, all the other players should be asking 'Where's Fineen?

Comment

Whatever about Johnny needing a break after all his knocks how was Murray left on for so long on Saturday. He was poor too slow getting the ball away and his kicking was way off
                When their numbers dwindled from 50 to 8, the other dwarves began to suspect Hungry

Comment

Originally posted by Rabb1tts Jump View Post

They are the two most important metrics of his performance. Everything else is fluff.
                  The two most important metrics of a players performance are that he wasn’t as brutally bad as his last game or as terribly poor as someone else who played in that position recently?

You should write a coaching handbook.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Konys barmy army View Post

Ohh a nomination .... over a dozen lads just got nominated for that after the group stages this year .... jog on with your nomination. Next you will be telling me how munster won two made it to the semi final accolades last year .... THE DOUBLE!!! Actually what sort of an accolade did you pick up in Anglo-Irish ? There must me no room for birthday cards on the mantle piece in Thomond Park with all them plaques.

Again id start Bernie with Ryan so I’m not disagreeing with you

Your the one putting forward accolades as a justification for playing poor and still being picked

Comment

Your the one putting forward accolades as a justification for playing poor and still being picked
                      Yes accolades..... not nominations for accolades and I never said anybody who won any accolades played ****. I’m saying somebody who is playing well and recently won the biggest individual accolade in the sport should play.
                      “One, Fineen needs to be louder, angrier, and have access to a time machine. Two, whenever Fineen’s not on field, all the other players should be asking 'Where's Fineen?

Comment

He’s not playing well, his decision making is poor, all credit to him for playing the game in such a way that he takes so much damage, it’s unnecessary and opens himself up for problems. Carbery has no problem putting people into space without taking punishment in a way that affected his performance.

Comment

Originally posted by jagawayagain View Post
                          Apologies if I’ve missed it, but there’s only so much I can read about RK with glazing over.

I wonder whether POM might be cited for his ‘foul play’ against Hogg? No action by Poite or assistants, missed by the TMO, and quite a lot of media coverage subsequently. It was unusually blatant/clumsy of POM, and I would say out character, but in slow mo looks bad.
                          Cited? Do you think it was a red card?

Comment

Originally posted by Benji View Post
                            Whatever about Johnny needing a break after all his knocks how was Murray left on for so long on Saturday. He was poor too slow getting the ball away and his kicking was way off
                            Don’t think Joe would take him off with Carbery at 10 and the game in the balance. Ireland tightened things up in the second half and they were looking to close it out.

I’d like to see Cooney get a start against Itally but I’d also like to see Carbery at 10 (and Farrell at 12 and Larmour and Conway in the back three). I think Joe’s unlikely to change both half backs.

Comment

Originally posted by Benji View Post
                              I thought he played quite well.
                              Anybody who sees a psychiatrist would want their head examined. &nb sp;Henry Ford

Comment

What was a positive from this game to the last was the ability to change the focus of attack, Scotland did the same as England and didn’t commit to the ruck, but in Murrayfield we attacked through the middle and around the ruck to keep them guessing, and often switched back across from the direction of play where we didn’t with England kept getting caught by their line speed.

Its a pity we were not more prepared for this against England and it took the subs to come on and score a try through the middle.

Comment

Working...
                                X