Scotland v Ireland Sat 9th Feb 14:15

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Joe Konys barmy army View Post

Read his post again he said “the only thing I’m more convinced of after the Scotland game is that carbury should be first choice OH”. There’s leinster fans promoting Conan over Stander so maybe it’s an Irish thing.

There are poisitions up for debate where perhaps provincal bias can lead you to lean one way .... 8 and 10 .... no
    I think Carbery should start against Italy. Sexton against France assuming fit.

Comment

Was feeling v down about Earls and Stockdale getting no ball so I looked into Irelands recent games with Kearney at 15 to see how his passes per game compare to his opposite number:

2016/2017: NZ - Rob 2 Smith 11 (1T), NZ - Rob 1 Smith 12, Aus - Rob 1 Folau 22, Scotland - Hogg 5 (2T) Rob 4, Italy - Padovani 4 Rob 7, France - Rob 0 Spedding 9, Wales - Halfp & Rob 5, = Rob 20 Opp 68 (3T - 0)
      2017/2018: SA - Rob 0 Coetzee 2, Arg - Rob 3 Tuculet 5 (1T), France - Palis 4 Rob 3, Italy - Rob 6 Minozzi 3 (1T), Wales - Rob 2 Halfp 5, Scotland - Rob 3 Hogg 15, Eng - Brown 6 Rob 1, Aus - Folau 10 Rob 2, Aus - Folau 2 Rob 3, Aus - Folau 6 Rob 2 = Rob 25 Opp 58 (2T - 0)
      2018/2019: NZ - Rob 1 MacKensie 11, Scotland - Kinghorn + Hogg 8, Rob 1 = Rob 2 Opp 19.

Overall totals since Nov 2016: Passes Rob 47 Opp 145, Tries Opp 5 Rob 0. Its shocking how little he passes or adds to our attack in general. Come the WC where our collision based one dimensional game loses us too many frontline players come the QF and we go behind to a few tries early, this is the FB we have on the field to launch our glorious fightback
      \"Only Pienaar, Botha and Ferris would be in contention for a place on our first 15. That\'s a fact.\" - Tickettout\'s take on Ulster April 2011.

Comment

Originally posted by Talking Sense View Post
        Was feeling v down about Earls and Stockdale getting no ball so I looked into Irelands recent games with Kearney at 15 to see how his passes per game compare to his opposite number:

2016/2017: NZ - Rob 2 Smith 11 (1T), NZ - Rob 1 Smith 12, Aus - Rob 1 Folau 22, Scotland - Hogg 5 (2T) Rob 4, Italy - Padovani 4 Rob 7, France - Rob 0 Spedding 9, Wales - Halfp & Rob 5, = Rob 20 Opp 68 (3T - 0)
        2017/2018: SA - Rob 0 Coetzee 2, Arg - Rob 3 Tuculet 5 (1T), France - Palis 4 Rob 3, Italy - Rob 6 Minozzi 3 (1T), Wales - Rob 2 Halfp 5, Scotland - Rob 3 Hogg 15, Eng - Brown 6 Rob 1, Aus - Folau 10 Rob 2, Aus - Folau 2 Rob 3, Aus - Folau 6 Rob 2 = Rob 25 Opp 58 (2T - 0)
        2018/2019: NZ - Rob 1 MacKensie 11, Scotland - Kinghorn + Hogg 8, Rob 1 = Rob 2 Opp 19.

Overall totals since Nov 2016: Passes Rob 47 Opp 145, Tries Opp 5 Rob 0. Its shocking how little he passes or adds to our attack in general. Come the WC where our collision based one dimensional game loses us too many frontline players come the QF and we go behind to a few tries early, this is the FB we have on the field to launch our glorious fightback
        Fun fact, seems like the less times RK passes the ball, the more succesful Ireland are.
        Only fools and drunks argue over everything. If you don’t have a hangover the next day you’re not the drunk...

Comment

How many of them games did Ireland lose?

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Comment

How many of them games did Ireland lose?

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Comment

Kearney is an interesting player. When he first appeared on the scene he was fast, adventurous, a good footballer and had a great left boot on him. He played for Ireland on the wing and did well enough before moving to FB. His forte has always been his strength under the high ball, but this was backed up by a decent enough defence and a good boot. In 2009, when playing Test matches for the Lions in SA , he looked world class and was probably around his peak at that time. That was almost 10 years ago.
              Since then, Rob has aged, lost his top end gas, the big boot and is less assured in the tackle. Much of this may be due just to aging , but the changes in his game have probably been strongly influenced by the role he has been asked to play for Ireland under Schmidt. He is essentially a safety-first FB whose designated task seems to be to catch the ball, run it back as far as he can, don't risk the offload, go to ground and recycle, follow the pre game tactics slavishly and do not think for yourself. We no longer see the massive touch finders or any flair in attack. You could believe this is all a result of the Schmidt game plan. The increasingly weak tackling in the recent few seasons is not readily explained and not part of the game plan.
              All that said, Kearney was not bad against Scotland. He looked fit and powerful and hard enough to haul down. But he continues to contribute zip in attack and still refuses to pass the ball - as discussed above, this may be down to Schmidt's instructions. Whatever - it is clear that all good teams these days operate with a skillful, fast, attack orientated FB (Smith, McKenzie, Folau, Hogg, Daly, Le Roux etc..) and you won't advance in the RWC without one.
              However, If it is all down to the Schmidt game plan, how come Larmour does not play in the same instructed mould when he gets a run and seems to have licence to play what's in front of him?
              So - has Rob been blunted by imposed tactics, or is just getting past it? (Or is it a bit of both?)

Erse end of nowhere

Comment

It’s amazing really, no matter what the thread started our as, it always, always descends into a slagging off of Rob Kearney. The glee when he wasn’t selected against England. How did that work out for you lads? You’re not looking too clever now.
                "They’re the benchmark that everyone else has to raise their game to meet." Alan Quinlan on Leinster

Comment

Originally posted by offshorerules View Post
                  It’s amazing really, no matter what the thread started our as, it always, always descends into a slagging off of Rob Kearney. The glee when he wasn’t selected against England. How did that work out for you lads? You’re not looking too clever now.
                  In fairness I think that Spiffy's post above is more about Irelands limited attacking plan when Rob is in the team than Rob the player. I think the exclusion of Zebo even when based at home says it is all about the plan. Zebo was and is a modern allround back 3 player.
                  Anybody who sees a psychiatrist would want their head examined. &nb sp;Henry Ford

Comment

Apologies if I’ve missed it, but there’s only so much I can read about RK with glazing over.

I wonder whether POM might be cited for his ‘foul play’ against Hogg? No action by Poite or assistants, missed by the TMO, and quite a lot of media coverage subsequently. It was unusually blatant/clumsy of POM, and I would say out character, but in slow mo looks bad.

Comment

Sexton made two tries in that game the same as Joey the only difference being Sexton got his in 23 mins and ..... both of his were for Ireland.

Would you really shoot Your country in the foot by dropping the best player in the world (as decided by some of the greatest players in the game) to give caps to a guy who is from Leinster and only went to Munster a few months ago to further his international ambitions.

Sexton gave one pass for a try, and his stubborness wouldn’t allow Murray take the conversion that he subsequently missed because he was hurting. Farrell gets the assist for Murray’s try

At least carbery made up for his intercept unlike Sexton the previous week.

And if accolades are the yard stick for selection in your team as opposed to form then Tadgh Bernie should be parachuted in the next day, because he has form and accolades.

Comment

Originally posted by offshorerules View Post
                        Godwin's law of Munsterfans.com states that.

"As a discussion on Munsterfans.com grows longer, the likelihood of Robert Kearney being compared to a rugby embodiment of Hitler increases."

Comment

Originally posted by lawrence View Post

Sexton gave one pass for a try, and his stubborness wouldn’t allow Murray take the conversion that he subsequently missed because he was hurting. Farrell gets the assist for Murray’s try

At least carbery made up for his intercept unlike Sexton the previous week.

And if accolades are the yard stick for selection in your team as opposed to form then Tadgh Bernie should be parachuted in the next day, because he has form and accolades.
                          This isint fantasy football chief, he got the turnover that led to the Murray try which he should of run in.

Most the Irish team arnt eligible for the Pro 14 payer of the year as they don’t play enough games but that said I would have him starting with Ryan. That would be an amazing partnership that could go for years, I know Joe seems worried about the lineout but both them have been calling this year and soaking up the knowledge from Holland and Dev who are well regarded in this area.

“One, Fineen needs to be louder, angrier, and have access to a time machine. Two, whenever Fineen’s not on field, all the other players should be asking 'Where's Fineen?

Comment

We really need to solve our distribution problem in midfield. We haven’t had a way to get the ball wide since Zebo went to France but we shouldn’t be depending entirely on the FB to get the ball to the wings anyway.

Aki isn’t a good enough distributor, Henshaw isn’t either, so time to try Farrell at 12. (He’s very enthusiastic about that idea based on comments in the IT today.) Tom Farrell is another lad who can play a more expansive game while offering a serious threat himself but doubt we’ll see him any time soon.

The other thing about big Chris is that, like Stockdale, he’s deceptively quick. You look at him covering ground in defence or chasing kicks and he’s up there. Having somebody with his power and pace at IC would occupy a few minds and take a bit of heat off Sexton too I reckon.

Comment

This isint fantasy football chief, he got the turnover that led to the Murray try which he should of run in.

Most the Irish team arnt eligible for the Pro 14 payer of the year as they don’t play enough games but that said I would have him starting with Ryan. That would be an amazing partnership that could go for years, I know Joe seems worried about the lineout but both them have been calling this year and soaking up the knowledge from Holland and Dev who are well regarded in this area.
                              We do need to move beyond needing to have a very tall lad (in the second row to win our lineout. Ryan’s no short arse and POM is so springy that we should be able to vary our lineout enough to accommodate Hendo or Beirne (or Dillane for that matter).

I wouldn’t be ditching Dev entirely but I wouldn’t be starting him every game either.

Comment

Bias can be funny sometimes, but to credit that try to Sexton is just delusion, Stockdale put in a great kick off a pass from Sexton and the only turnover was a few phases beforehand when Sexton and stockdale mistimed a run, POM has as much a right to the assist on that for taking out hogg.

Thanks for adding the pro 14 accolade to his European player of the year nomination, (something neither Leinster lock recurved) copperfastenig Bernie’s case for a start ahead of Ryan or Toner.

sexton is not playing well, his temperament is a problem and he is not making the best call for the team at times, and that’s evident for Leinster as well as Ireland. Dropping him would be the best kick in the hole he could get in a defining year of his career

Comment

Working...
                                X