Scotland v Ireland Sat 9th Feb 14:15

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Balla Boy View Post
    We looked blunt. Not surprising given what injury has done to the idea of having a fit and settled 9/10/12/13 unit. Look where Stockdale had to come to get the ball for his try.
    I don’t think Stockdale ‘had to come to get the ball’, in the senses that starved of possession he came in looking for work, that to me looked a well rehearsed and very effective planned move- and far from blunt. Granted it was the exception, and our sideways trucking of the ball was remiscent of Munster at our worst a few years ago.

I’d like to see someone other than Aki tried at 12, as suggested above pairing Farrell and Ringrose at 12,13 would be interesting. That said, we needed a win yesterday, and were solidly the better side and unlikely to drop behind again after the first try, and we did so without 4/5 likely starters. Those injuries, the loss to England, number 2 tag and Joe departing have given us quite a lot to deal with, and Scotland in murrayfield is never easy for us.

Comment

Originally posted by Spiffy View Post
      FAKE NEWS :

An large Irish Indo headline reports that Schmidt confirms that Sexton was taken off for an HIA after a stamp to the head. Shock, horror. Your first reaction is one of outrage that the Scottish thugs would resort to this kind of thing. But when you read the whole article, Schmidt states that the "stamp" was likely by one of Jonny's teammates. I hate this kind of sensationalist reporting, that places the wrong spin on things. If you did not read the fine print your first impression would hold and you would be left with a false notion of the facts.
      If you hate that type of reporting then don't read news sites that do that type of reporting.
      "There are probably more annoying things than being hectored about African development by a wealthy Irish rock star in a cowboy hat, but I can't think of one at the moment"

Paul Theroux

Comment

Attention Joe: For video analysis Monday morning - give Earls a pass going forward and your team might be in danger of scoring a try.

"I don't believe in fairytales," O'Connell once told me, "even though it feels like I've been lucky enough to live through a few. However it ends, I'll feel lucky."
        Donald McRae, Guardian Rugby, October 2015

Comment

its a pity that Aki,Kearney and Stockdale dont pass the ball more in general!

Comment

Originally posted by The Last Stand View Post
            A strange article:

https://www.independent.ie/sport/rug...-37799596.html

Repeats that Poite was unfair on Scotland at the breakdown, and then says Ireland will have to do something to address the slow ball getting back to Sexton....
            This is the first 4 sentences of that piece:

"Scotland will be kicking themselves this morning. Ireland were there for the taking and they let them off the hook due to their own errors.

Scotland had easily as many opportunities as their visitors yesterday. In fact, they probably got across the gain line more often and created more overlaps."

Espn Scrum:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2019-02-10 at 12.35.29.png
Views:	128
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	2558987

Six Nations Rugby (.com):

Name:	Screenshot 2019-02-10 at 12.35.41.png
Views:	120
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	2558988

More territory, more possession, more clean breaks, more defenders beaten, less missed tackles. I would say we had a better day of things 3 tries to one, missing a few key players and our chief playmaker after 25 mins. Why read the rest of the piece if you can spot a clanger in the first 4 sentences?

this not aimed at you TLS, at all! just I find some of the Scottish "analysis" to be of the North Korean propaganda styleee. Andy Nicol, Chris Patterson, McGeechan and most of all Greig Laidlaw having a cut at Poite WHILST STILL ON THE FIELD over the stadium tannoy and BBC.

As I said yesterday, glad we have this particular match over, and scotland well beaten up - couldnt happen to a more one eyed and boo worthy bunch.

I am the million man.

Comment

Originally posted by oilean View Post
              its a pity that Aki,Kearney and Stockdale dont pass the ball more in general!
              Look what happened to Zebo........... passing the ball is not part of the game plan.
              Anybody who sees a psychiatrist would want their head examined.*&nb sp;Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by jagawayagain View Post

I don’t think Stockdale ‘had to come to get the ball’, in the senses that starved of possession he came in looking for work, that to me looked a well rehearsed and very effective planned move- and far from blunt. Granted it was the exception, and our sideways trucking of the ball was remiscent of Munster at our worst a few years ago.

I’d like to see someone other than Aki tried at 12, as suggested above pairing Farrell and Ringrose at 12,13 would be interesting. That said, we needed a win yesterday, and were solidly the better side and unlikely to drop behind again after the first try, and we did so without 4/5 likely starters. Those injuries, the loss to England, number 2 tag and Joe departing have given us quite a lot to deal with, and Scotland in murrayfield is never easy for us.
                Definitely pre planned, yes, and a very good move. It still says a lot that the only hope we have of getting either of our two exceptionally able wingers into space is to run a set play or for one of them to kick it over the top.

Set play moves can be brilliantly effective, and Joe has a talent for them. I'd be happier if we allied that with an ability to stretch defences through phases.
                "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy View Post

"Scotland will be kicking themselves this morning. Ireland were there for the taking and they let them off the hook due to their own errors.

Scotland had easily as many opportunities as their visitors yesterday. In fact, they probably got across the gain line more often and created more overlaps."

Espn Scrum:

More territory, more possession, more clean breaks, more defenders beaten, less missed tackles. I would say we had a better day of things 3 tries to one, missing a few key players and our chief playmaker after 25 mins. Why read the rest of the piece if you can spot a clanger in the first 4 sentences?

this not aimed at you TLS, at all! just I find some of the Scottish "analysis" to be of the North Korean propaganda styleee. Andy Nicol, Chris Patterson, McGeechan and most of all Greig Laidlaw having a cut at Poite WHILST STILL ON THE FIELD over the stadium tannoy and BBC.

As I said yesterday, glad we have this particular match over, and scotland well beaten up - couldnt happen to a more one eyed and boo worthy bunch.
                  In fairness ,i think sometimes stats only tell part of the story - Scotland started the game by far the better, gifted us a try to lose the lead, and than conceded a second try. They had dominated everywhere at HT except on the scoreboard. We choked the game to death in the second half. I must admit I was surprised by the overall possession and territory stats as I kind of forgot the way we dominated the second half. Dominated but never looked like scoring - Earls try was mainly down to missed tackles on Carbery by 2 Scots (they seemed to get in each others way) and a great looped pass. Handling errors killed the Scots. I can see why they would look at this as one that got away. But Ireland should be delighted given our injuries and the England trauma

Comment

Originally posted by busby View Post

If you hate that type of reporting then don't read news sites that do that type of reporting.
                    So you work for the Indo then?
                    Erse end of nowhere

Comment

The only thing I'm more convinced of now after the Scotland Game is that Carbery should be first choice OH. Sexton would never have made the break or the pass to ears for that try.

Comment

Originally posted by blackwarrior View Post
                        Attention Joe: For video analysis Monday morning - give Earls a pass going forward and your team might be in danger of scoring a try.

Totally agree. Also, while Aki has a place in this squad he isn’t a distributor and his partnership with Farrell was marred by their lack of familiarity with each other. Farrell deserves the opportunity to shine.

Comment

Originally posted by lawrence View Post
                          The only thing I'm more convinced of now after the Scotland Game is that Carbery should be first choice OH. Sexton would never have made the break or the pass to ears for that try.
                          Sexton made two tries in that game the same as Joey the only difference being Sexton got his in 23 mins and ..... both of his were for Ireland.

Would you really shoot Your country in the foot by dropping the best player in the world (as decided by some of the greatest players in the game) to give caps to a guy who is from Leinster and only went to Munster a few months ago to further his international ambitions.
                          Last edited by Joe Konys barmy army; 10th-February-2019, 22:42.

Comment

Resting, Joe, not dropping, resting.

Comment

Originally posted by Piquet View Post
                              Resting, Joe, not dropping, resting.

Read his post again he said “the only thing I’m more convinced of after the Scotland game is that carbury should be first choice OH”. There’s leinster fans promoting Conan over Stander so maybe it’s an Irish thing.

There are poisitions up for debate where perhaps provincal bias can lead you to lean one way .... 8 and 10 .... no

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy View Post

Espn Scrum:

Probably no harm - Ireland will have some motivation as an “ordinary” team come the RWC...

Comment

Working...
                                X