Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Scotland v Ireland Sat 9th Feb 14:15

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Originally posted by Joe Konys barmy army View Post

    It’s the bonus points that will kill us, with none after two games even if we win the remaining 3 games with a try bonus )which will be very difficult with a trip to Wales) I don’t think it will be enough. A couple of cracking test games to be won though
    I’d expect us to get four tries and win against both Italy and France, Wales will be a tough game, but hopefully we’ll be firing by then.

    Comment


      Keith Earls can reflect on a career in an Irish jersey where he rarely got a pass. Both he and Stockdale are our most dangerous runners by a mile yet we refuse to pass the feicing ball to them, infuriating
      \"Only Pienaar, Botha and Ferris would be in contention for a place on our first 15. That\'s a fact.\" - Tickettout\'s take on Ulster April 2011.

      Comment


        Originally posted by Talking Sense View Post
        Keith Earls can reflect on a career in an Irish jersey where he rarely got a pass. Both he and Stockdale are our most dangerous runners by a mile yet we refuse to pass the feicing ball to them, infuriating
        Yes. Said the same thing to my son while we were watching the game. Criminal waste of talent. Ireland's primary game plane should be ultra simple - get the ball into the hands of Stockdale and Earls at every opportunity.

        Erse end of nowhere

        Comment


          Originally posted by Spiffy View Post

          Yes. Said the same thing to my son while we were watching the game. Criminal waste of talent. Ireland's primary game plane should be ultra simple - get the ball into the hands of Stockdale and Earls at every opportunity.
          Hard to get the ball to the wings when we’re playing a 12 whose passing game is not quite at the level required for international rugby. Aki is good defensively but other teams have his number when defending against him because his passing is suspect under pressure. Personally would move Henshaw back to 12. Would like to see him and Chris Farrell play together, CF would be more incisive outside a decent passer of the ball

          Murray no anywhere near his usual level, ponderous and predictable today. His reaction post the try spoke volumes for the pressure he felt he was under.

          France showed flashes last week of great old style French offloading in a monsoon. If they can minimize the brain farts it might be a decent game tomorrow - they could well do us a favour. Wales by their selection decided player development this year was more important than chasing a bonus point against Italy - wonder will JS have the gumption to do the same.

          Comment


            Originally posted by the plastic paddy View Post
            Killer to start, Ryan onto the bench ahead of Porter who struggled badly today. Beirne and Hendo back will be a massive boost but thought Roux did well today. Conan was invisible, as expected.
            Conan is good at home to the Dragons in April, he ll score 1 and assist another, Feb in Murrayfield isnt his forte imo.

            I think the Munster coaching staff deserve huge credit for turning Carbery into the 10 he has become, last year he didnt have that in him, he has improved his skillset and running game in Limerick and it shows and its paying off.
            \"Only Pienaar, Botha and Ferris would be in contention for a place on our first 15. That\'s a fact.\" - Tickettout\'s take on Ulster April 2011.

            Comment


              Team looks off. The last 2 games they havent been at it, injuries haven't helped.
              ​​​​​​Need to use rest of the tournament to change our game plan and blood the likes of Niall Scannell, start Carberry etc. Next 2 games are against the 2 worst teams in tournament. These forward pods carrying the ball into contact outside opposition 22 and going nowhere is baffling. POC made a good comment on the BBC saying sometimes you can have so much info going onto the pitch under Schmidt that you can struggle to get into the emotional level needed for a 6 nations away game.
              Last edited by Tobyglen; 10th-February-2019, 02:27.

              Comment


                Originally posted by LongtimeLurker View Post

                Hard to get the ball to the wings when we’re playing a 12 whose passing game is not quite at the level required for international rugby. Aki is good defensively but other teams have his number when defending against him because his passing is suspect under pressure. Personally would move Henshaw back to 12. Would like to see him and Chris Farrell play together, CF would be more incisive outside a decent passer of the ball

                Murray no anywhere near his usual level, ponderous and predictable today. His reaction post the try spoke volumes for the pressure he felt he was under.

                France showed flashes last week of great old style French offloading in a monsoon. If they can minimize the brain farts it might be a decent game tomorrow - they could well do us a favour. Wales by their selection decided player development this year was more important than chasing a bonus point against Italy - wonder will JS have the gumption to do the same.
                I'd like to see Farrell tried at 12 with Ringrose outside him at 13. Farrell is big and powerful but he also has some skills and good hands. He is more than a bosher. Or even try swapping them around with Ringrose, a good footballer, at 12 and Farrell at 13. Or let them chop and change during the game. Even now, Ringrose frequently pops up and acts effectively at 12. Henshaw's progression has been a little disappointing. He's physical and has skills, but he does look a tad slow for international rugby. It's a long time since he did something really exciting or memorable on the field, or dominated the midfield.
                I know many will say that Ringrose is Ireland's best 13 (which he is) and must not be moved, but it's all about getting the best players on the the pitch.
                A fit Ringrose is one of the first names on the sheet, no matter where he plays.
                Erse end of nowhere

                Comment


                  FAKE NEWS :

                  An large Irish Indo headline reports that Schmidt confirms that Sexton was taken off for an HIA after a stamp to the head. Shock, horror. Your first reaction is one of outrage that the Scottish thugs would resort to this kind of thing. But when you read the whole article, Schmidt states that the "stamp" was likely by one of Jonny's teammates. I hate this kind of sensationalist reporting, that places the wrong spin on things. If you did not read the fine print your first impression would hold and you would be left with a false notion of the facts.
                  Erse end of nowhere

                  Comment


                    Originally posted by Joe Konys barmy army View Post
                    Poor result today, we celebrate as we give up the trophy. The bonus point really was required. Great game by POM, deservedly MOTM. Thankfully we have 4 weeks before another meningful game and we can get some of the lads back from the injury room who will be needed for the Wales game. In the meantime Leinster and Munster fans can squabble over who played better based on where they play their provincal rugby.

                    Roll on the World Cup

                    we did not deserve a BP and never really looked capable of getting it. Our tries were mainly down to Scottish mistakes. That said happy with the win. We had a lot of injuries, last week was a big hit to confidence, and Scotland at home are no fools. We really missed Ringrose for a bit of creativity in midfield, but we learned more about Joey (mostly good) and great to see the likes of Roux, Dillane and Conan having decent games. Am hopeful that Murray's form is on an upswing and we will have a few back v Italy
                    Not to worried about BPs & winning the 6 Nation TBH - lets win our games and learn more about our best squad

                    Comment


                      I thought Healy was pretty average. A couple of poor knock ons. An OK game but not great. Kilcoyne looked lively when he came on. He will start v Italy and a big opportunity for him. I dont think there is much between the two of them now.

                      Comment


                        I thought it was interesting that none of the replacement players, roux, Farrell or Conan particularly stood out. Neither negatively nor positively. Kind of confirmed for me that (a) selection policy is about right and (b) we’re building decent depth. Healy was really dominant in the scrum and the front row looked totally stable which away from home is always something you want to see. I thought Joey was guilty of ball watching at the end of the movement for Scotland’s try and that along with his pass being intercepted in the beginning will hopefully lead to a big ‘learn’ for him. O’Mahony had a great game, again. Murray for me is a bit of a conundrum. When he’s on form he’s brilliant but so much is made of his box kicking that when we don’t recover any of his kicks he’s made to look decidedly average. Makes me wonder when we do recover them was it the kicker or the chaser that should get the credit. Kind of churlish really. Furlong and Ryan were also kind of quiet when it came to carries which is something I hope improves by the time we play France but will be essential by the time we play Wales and oh, by the way, it was nice to have a full back playing too.
                        "They’re the benchmark that everyone else has to raise their game to meet." Alan Quinlan on Leinster

                        Comment



                          We looked blunt. Not surprising given what injury has done to the idea of having a fit and settled 9/10/12/13 unit. Look where Stockdale had to come to get the ball for his try....


                          A BP yesterday would have kept us in it mathematically, but it would have been a false dawn I think. While we'll feel confident going to Rome, I think we're being excessively dismissive of the French and Cardiff will be an enormously high mountain to climb for a team in this shape.


                          As last week, I remain unconvinced by the calls to blood lots of new players. There's a definite rehabilitation needed for key players in this team, and Joe has to strike a balance between giving some exposure to back up players and getting the people who will win and lose games in Japan back into the zone.

                          And above all we need a centre partnership that's played a few games together. Let's hope the injury fairies allow for that.
                          "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

                          "Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy


                          "I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

                          Comment


                            Originally posted by Joe Konys barmy army View Post

                            I thought there were no Leinster lads out there .... just Irishmen?

                            Saying your not doing something as you do it dose not mean that your not doing it.

                            But if you insist on going there I thought the best Leinster player was Sexton, huge part in two tries (turnover for the first and crucial pass in the second) ... same number as Joey
                            Probably should have said:

                            "The Irishmen who play for Leinster don't seem to be playing at their usual levels. Was there something in their build up to the 6 nations which has held them back"

                            I did think Sexton was playing well.

                            Comment


                              A strange article:

                              https://www.independent.ie/sport/rug...-37799596.html

                              Repeats that Poite was unfair on Scotland at the breakdown, and then says Ireland will have to do something to address the slow ball getting back to Sexton....

                              Comment


                                Originally posted by Yatenga View Post

                                we did not deserve a BP and never really looked capable of getting it. Our tries were mainly down to Scottish mistakes. That said happy with the win. We had a lot of injuries, last week was a big hit to confidence, and Scotland at home are no fools. We really missed Ringrose for a bit of creativity in midfield, but we learned more about Joey (mostly good) and great to see the likes of Roux, Dillane and Conan having decent games. Am hopeful that Murray's form is on an upswing and we will have a few back v Italy
                                Not to worried about BPs & winning the 6 Nation TBH - lets win our games and learn more about our best squad
                                Isn’t every try down to a mistake by the opposition?

                                Murray’s was clearly a mistake. Stockdale’s was a rehearsed move designed to expose Scotland and their defence strategy. Carbery’s was a piece of individual magic.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X