No announcement yet.

Scotland v Ireland Sat 9th Feb 14:15

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On the positive side, this is a real test of how good a side Ireland are following the loss of some key front-liners. Schmidt stated after the 2015 RWC that we didn't have the squad depth when it mattered in the quarter-final. Saturday will tell him, and us, a lot.
    "I don't believe in fairytales," O'Connell once told me, "even though it feels like I've been lucky enough to live through a few. However it ends, I'll feel lucky."
    Donald McRae, Guardian Rugby, October 2015

Comment

Surprised Addision hasn't made it into the squad, is Tom Farrell not just a 13, would 23 not need to be more versatile?
      Seven social sins: politics without principles, wealth without work, pleasure without conscience, knowledge without character, commerce without morality, science without humanity, and worship without sacrifice

Comment

Originally posted by scotscor View Post
        Surprised Addision hasn't made it into the squad, is Tom Farrell not just a 13, would 23 not need to be more versatile?
        Can play either 12 or 13 and slotted in on wing in emergencys for Connacht on occasion
        ​​​but yeah, Addison would be my call for 23

Comment

Originally posted by Sulla View Post
          Maitland in for Kinghorn, obviously 3 tries doesn't cut the mustard for Townsend
          3 tries against Italy dosent count, ask Craig Gilroy

Comment

Tom Farrell would never jump ahead of Larmour into this matchday squad.
            Anyway this selection turned out to be pretty obvious give or take a couple of injury issues. Joe is, don't forget, a pretty conservative head coach.
            Of much greater interest team announcement wise will be the Italy game, that game will see some experimentation and I expect Robbie to start that one at 15.
            Anyway predictions?
            I think and hope Ireland will grit out a win in an intense and quality game. This fixture has a proven history of high quality and great rivalry, especially in Edinburgh. (It's almost up there with Wales V France for reliably high historic entertainment value). The wind is going to be very strong and swirling the forecast is for a strong gale which will effect the tactics and kicking greatly whichever end you're at and make the coin toss very important. Ireland's very strong mauling tactics should trump Scotland's outside backs flair and fast rucking game, they also have guys missing and the theory is that they don't have the squad depth we have, that said the 6N is hardly one for respecting form and theory!

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Konys barmy army View Post

3 tries against Italy dosent count, ask Craig Gilroy
              Gilroy is not part of the picture due to his deserved long suspension.

Comment

The side has a nice sort of authentic and balanced feel to it. Old safehands tends to have a calming effect and I'm sure the players feel that way too. He will have his work cut out in the strong winds and with his classy opposite number and electric Huw Jones. I'm a big fan of Conan and it's a great chance for him.
                Let's just hope we play well, innit

Comment

Originally posted by Zyvis View Post

Gilroy is not part of the picture due to his deserved long suspension.
                  A couple years back he scored a hatrick against Italy and was dropped by Joe the very next game, I think CJ got a hatrick too that day.

Comment

I’m shocked henshaw isn’t at 15 again. I was supremely 100% confident he would not be dropped.

Comment

Originally posted by neill_m View Post

Larmour no 23 in the end.
                      There would of been no cover for 15 with Tom, was always between Jordan and Addison in my opinion.

Comment

Delighted for Chris Farrell, played so well against wales last year only to pick up an injury
                        Stand up for the ulster man!!

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Konys barmy army View Post

There would of been no cover for 15 with Tom, was always between Jordan and Addison in my opinion.
                          carberry?

Comment

Originally posted by wp_rathead View Post

carberry?
                            D’oh .... yes of course you are right.

Comment

We have lost 3 of our last 4 visits to murrayfield apparently.

we have a number of players not playing well over their last few outings, the halfbacks & Kearney, best.

Farrell is short of game time and very little if any time playing alongside Aki. Quin roux is a 5th choice lock.

Scotland had a nice run out last week.

The bookies think we will win by at least 6. I don’t, a one score high scoring game I think that could go either way.

Comment

Originally posted by lawrence View Post
                                I’m shocked henshaw isn’t at 15 again. I was supremely 100% confident he would not be dropped.
                                ?
                                \"Only Pienaar, Botha and Ferris would be in contention for a place on our first 15. That\'s a fact.\" - Tickettout\'s take on Ulster April 2011.

Comment

Working...
                                X