Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ireland V England Saturday 2nd February 16.45.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Ireland V England Saturday 2nd February 16.45.

    Not sure if the absence of a thread for this is a positive or negative sign. The Irish side, after the injuries to Bierne and Hendo, largely picks itself. The only question mark is 7 although you have to think SOB will be reserved for bench duty and 12.
    Last edited by the plastic paddy; 29th-January-2019, 06:34.

    #2
    It says a lot about where Ireland have been for the last 12 months that I would be genuinely shocked if we lost this game.

    We used to have to hope that we'd have a great day and the big teams wouldn't show up properly. That's reversed now. If we show up and execute, we'll beat this England team.

    We're better in every department of the game right now, I think.
    "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

    "Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy


    "I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

    Comment


      #3
      Listened to Eddie and Matt Williams last night, they said we should win

      Eddie's main point was that England don't have a credible seven to slow us enough to allow their line reset and they don't have 'the cattle' to go into a brawl with our 23 for 80 mins

      Matt's main point was Cheikas tactics against Ireland worked, kick the ball deep to Bobert, come up in an organised line and force Ireland to play out from their own 22


      The most interesting thing of the whole segment for me was Williams pointing out that Ireland and leinster are the only two sides in the game at the minute NOT using two flankers on the wings and 4 or 5 fatties in midfield.

      If Ireland don't have an off day:
      They've the pack setpiece and subs to play for 85 to 90 mins
      They've the discipline
      They've the control at half back
      They've the work rate in the back five out wide

      On the other side, what are England able to bring to break down those 4 benefits?


      I don't think it's a fait accompli, we usually start poorly in this championship, but Joe is such a hard taskmaster they invariably find the way. Think our biggest hurdle this spring is psychological tbh
      I am the million man.

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by Balla Boy View Post
        It says a lot about where Ireland have been for the last 12 months that I would be genuinely shocked if we lost this game.

        We used to have to hope that we'd have a great day and the big teams wouldn't show up properly. That's reversed now. If we show up and execute, we'll beat this England team.

        We're better in every department of the game right now, I think.
        1/4 about Ireland is a rub your eyes in disbelief price but probably fair enough. Garces worries me because he can facilitate an arm wrestle which would suit them but a good weather forecast suits Ireland, apart from anything else, because they are fitter than England.

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by Cowboy View Post
          Listened to Eddie and Matt Williams last night, they said we should win

          Eddie's main point was that England don't have a credible seven to slow us enough to allow their line reset and they don't have 'the cattle' to go into a brawl with our 23 for 80 mins

          Matt's main point was Cheikas tactics against Ireland worked, kick the ball deep to Bobert, come up in an organised line and force Ireland to play out from their own 22


          The most interesting thing of the whole segment for me was Williams pointing out that Ireland and leinster are the only two sides in the game at the minute NOT using two flankers on the wings and 4 or 5 fatties in midfield.

          If Ireland don't have an off day:
          They've the pack setpiece and subs to play for 85 to 90 mins
          They've the discipline
          They've the control at half back
          They've the work rate in the back five out wide

          On the other side, what are England able to bring to break down those 4 benefits?


          I don't think it's a fait accompli, we usually start poorly in this championship, but Joe is such a hard taskmaster they invariably find the way. Think our biggest hurdle this spring is psychological tbh
          If Ireland win the Grand Slam, which on form they should, then as long as Murray is fit I think they will win the RWC. Bold maybe but winning a GS as favourites to do so would be a huge psychological statement.

          Comment


            #6
            Paddy Power has Ireland @3/10 and England @11/4 with Ireland on a win handicap of 9 Points! If it didn't go completely against my Irish - ness I'd be tempted to have a flutter on England. Not because I believe that they will win but those odds are pretty good on a two horse race.
            I would much prefer it if we/the media & pundits were a little bit less confident, overconfidence can be a very dangerous mindset.

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by the plastic paddy View Post

              1/4 about Ireland is a rub your eyes in disbelief price but probably fair enough. Garces worries me because he can facilitate an arm wrestle which would suit them but a good weather forecast suits Ireland, apart from anything else, because they are fitter than England.
              I dont think an arm wrestle suits England V Ireland as much as it should. We are so accurate at the breakdown (irrespective of the referee) that we can take on sides much much bigger than ours and still generate useable possession.

              Not to blow smoke up his arse, but pound for pound James Ryan is one of the strongest pro players I've ever seen. The man is just a freak. But then there seems to be a freak in every part of the team these days Tadhg - Ryan - Pete - Josh or Leavy - CJ - Murr Sexton - Henshaw or Bundee.

              I know hes an ape, but Walrus Jones made a very valid point after we beat NZ in November to paraphrase "It doesnt matter who is fit or injured, that Irish team is an absolute team and the players move in and out but it plays identical, they know their best 23 and their best 30. Eddie Jones cant go 2 weeks in training without changing everyone everywhere, Elliot Daly has played every position outside of 10!"
              I am the million man.

              Comment


                #8
                Garces is the Ref, he was more favorable to Exeter's English style of rugby than to our style at TP the other week. This would be my main worry. He won't let us play our game, and he'll allow England theirs.
                Nulla semper amicus, servivit mihi, in iniuriam mihi neminem quem non persolvi

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by Soda Bread View Post
                  Paddy Power has Ireland @3/10 and England @11/4 with Ireland on a win handicap of 9 Points! If it didn't go completely against my Irish - ness I'd be tempted to have a flutter on England. Not because I believe that they will win but those odds are pretty good on a two horse race.
                  I would much prefer it if we/the media & pundits were a little bit less confident, overconfidence can be a very dangerous mindset.
                  Its a three horse race. Your forgetting about the draw!

                  Comment


                    #10
                    I see Jones has sent out his dog whistler Mitchell, who called us "boring as sh*t".

                    https://www.irishexaminer.com/breaki...nd-900746.html
                    Please support Milford Hospice. Click here to donate.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Matt Williams called us boring too on virgin tv last year.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by fitzy73 View Post
                        I see Jones has sent out his dog whistler Mitchell, who called us "boring as sh*t".

                        https://www.irishexaminer.com/breaki...nd-900746.html
                        Could do better. Could have called us passionate.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by Late try View Post

                          Could do better. Could have called us passionate.
                          Am glad we are keeping our counsel- the win will be all the sweeter when they have gone on with this crap in the run up.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by Isa View Post

                            Its a three horse race. Your forgetting about the draw!
                            I always like an outsider in a three horse race, especially a novice chase, but the price for a draw in rugby is always appalling value.

                            Comment


                              #15
                              I stand to be corrected, but the only players in the entire England squad with experience of beating any Irish team in a meaningful* match since 2017 are Launchbury (v Ulster) and Ashton (v Connacht). That's got to be worth a few points start to Ireland.

                              *not counting preseason friendlies

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X