X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Piquet
    started a topic CVC in search of World Domination

CVC in search of World Domination

According to the New Zealand Herald, CVC, the company that recently bought 27% of Premiership Rugby, want to control the international game.

They are quoting the Daily Mail.

it seems " a group of club chairmen previously discussed buying the RFU and Twickenham stadium."

"​one source said: 'The RFU is in real danger of losing control of the game to CVC and the Premiership owners.'

The former chief executive of the union, Ian Ritchie, has swapped sides and is now chairman of PRL at this time of rising club-country tensions. He is also destined to be chairman of a joint PRL-CVC board charged with managing the new investment."
    ​​​​​​
    Last edited by Piquet; 8th-January-2019, 18:01.

• Daithi
    replied
    Originally posted by Miguel Sanchez View Post
    Is there any Brexit angle on all this?
    Not yet

Leave a comment:

• Miguel Sanchez
    replied
    Is there any Brexit angle on all this?

Leave a comment:

• jagawayagain
    replied
    Originally posted by Balla Boy View Post

They're suggesting 16 teams in, four matches per team.

​​​​​​https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...player-welfare

Which I can't quite get my head around.
    Having over-reached themselves with promises some RFUs allowed themselves to be duped by, and utterly failed to deliver- it’s hard to imagine unions falling for the same thing again, then the premiership money men were far more sophisticated than those they opposed- hopefully bitter experience will have added some sanity. A couple of changes (merit based qualification, earmarking home quarters and visiting teams related to performance in the competition), have been good- and the competition has (in spite, not because, of) continued to thrive. Now, in addition to rattling the RFUs cage they have the audacity to peddle this self-interest under the player welfare banner. Who picked Itoje and others in early September, weeks after a summer tour? They are a shower of narcissistic bast@rds, it’s time other unions stood up for each other, and our wonderful sport.

Humiliation in Japan might encourage a bit of reality checking.
    Last edited by jagawayagain; 9th-January-2019, 20:44.

Leave a comment:

• rathbaner
    replied
    Rassie is licking his lips. This is the comp the Saffers and SA TV want in to and dumping England is the easiest way in.
    i don't think the French will back the English. There's nothing in it for them, they got what they wanted last time.

Leave a comment:

• Piquet
    replied
    The only way that four matches per team would work is if there are groups of three, which you can't have with 16 teams, or set it up like the U20WC where there would be four Pools of four teams and you play each of the teams in one of the other Pools.

The latter would be a "single round" Pool stage and you would end up with Irish teams playing each other in the Pool stages.

Leave a comment:

• Balla Boy
    replied
    Originally posted by Piquet View Post
    The only way they can downsize it is either make the Pools smaller, go to a single round of matches or have only four qualifying for the Knock-outs or a combination of two or three.

If they go for smaller Pools, say five threes, there will still be six rounds of matches but teams will only play in four of them, a reduction of two, going to a single round in the Pools would mean three games fewer and having only four qualifying for the play-offs would mean there would be one game fewer.

The number of teams qualifying would be 15, possibly 20 and 16.

Reducing the number of games would mean less TV coverage and, therefore less money from TV Companies and Sponsors.

The last change downgraded the competition at the expense of the Premiership. These proposed further changes would downgrade it even more, again at the expense of the Premiership.

As I have posted elsewhere, Saracens are the only English team in this year's competition that aren't in the bottom half of their Pool.

It's like the "Yes Minister" episode where Sir Humphrey explains to the Minister that in order for England (stet) to ruin the EEC, it was necessary for them to join it and wreck it from within.

They need to be shown a short plank and be invited to take a long walk.
    They're suggesting 16 teams in, four matches per team.

​​​​​​https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...player-welfare

Which I can't quite get my head around.

Leave a comment:

• the plastic paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by Piquet View Post
    The only way they can downsize it is either make the Pools smaller, go to a single round of matches or have only four qualifying for the Knock-outs or a combination of two or three.

If they go for smaller Pools, say five threes, there will still be six rounds of matches but teams will only play in four of them, a reduction of two, going to a single round in the Pools would mean three games fewer and having only four qualifying for the play-offs would mean there would be one game fewer.

Reducing the number of games would mean less TV coverage and, therefore less money from TV Companies and Sponsors.

The last change downgraded the competition at the expense of the Premiership. These proposed further changes would downgrade it even more, again at the expense of the Premiership.

As I have posted elsewhere, Saracens are the only English team in this year's competition that aren't in the bottom half of their Pool.

It's like the "Yes Minister" episode where Sir Humphrey explains to the Minister that in order for England (stet) to ruin the EEC, it was necessary for them to join it and wreck it from within.

The Nigels’ intentions all along was to take control of the competition and then wreck it so as to marginalise the interest from broadcasters in their leagues favour. Reducing the number of games while increasing games in their league makes this explicit. Unfortunately, I can see the French going along with the Nigels plan which means European rugby will be further weakened; if I didn’t live in the UK I would be hoping for a no Deal Brexit catastrophe to bankrupt the lot of them.

Leave a comment:

• Piquet
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Balla Boy
    replied
    If the English move to downsize, we should **** them out of it totally and bring in the Saffers. Extend the Pro14 into a conferenced competition and let the Sais go and ****ing whistle.

Leave a comment:

• lilleexile
    replied
    What English clubs want, they get: Champions Cup could be downsized

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbfLBE_np4I

Off The Ball
    Published on 8 Jan 2019

After transitioning from the classic Heineken Club format, to the Heineken Champions Cup - European rugby could be facing further reforms. Ger's sick of the influence that English clubs have had on European rugby!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X