Guinness 2019 6 Nations

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by In Joe we trust View Post

Zebo admitted he couldn't play in the way Joe wants the team to play so should Joe change his whole style/structure to fit in Zebo?

With Munster, I'm free to try things, to play the moves that I see," Zebo told French publication L'Equipe earlier this year.

"I don't have any shackles. Joe is a super coach who has had great success with Ireland. We already talked about it face-to-face. I said to him that I couldn't play in such a rigid structure. I can't play like that.

You have the English/Welsh putting him in their team of the Autumn Internationals, Will Greenwood picking him in a combined Eng/Ire team and he constantly gets picked for Ireland/Leinster who are winning multiple trophies etc and you think putting Conway at 15 for Ireland will improve the Irish team when he doesn't get picked there for Munster?

https://www.the42.ie/analysis-rob-ke...847701-Feb2018 as some breakdown as to why he is picked
    Doesn’t need to change his whole style/structure to accommodate a more adventurous fullback. I’m sure he could figure it out.

Comment

Schmidt has some job picking a team for England. I know he’s unlikely to throw in any suprises in the team selection but it’s mad to think Beirne mightn’t even be on the bench, never mind starting. Conway’s playing some unbelievable rugby but again probably won't make the bench. There’ll be a lot of players who are in flying form left out for this one.
      Last edited by Stringer9; 21st-January-2019, 00:39.
      The Maul is Back!! LONG LIVE THE MAUL!!

Stringer is bigger even than his own immense shadow. Pound for pound, he is the best tackler in the world. If you put him into bag of cats he\'d come out without a scratch. He was hit very late for Murphy\'s try. And when he got up, as we knew he would, the crowd cried his name as if he had just fixed the economy.Billy Keane-After Munster\'s famous loss to the AB\'s.

The Bull-Truly irreplaceable, a mountain of a man. 100 caps!!

Comment

Originally posted by Stringer9 View Post
        Schmidt has some job picking a team for England. I know he’s unlikely to throw in any suprises in the team selection but it’s mad to think Beirne mightn’t even be on the bench, never mind starting. Conway’s playing some unbelievable rugby but again probably won't make the bench. There’ll be a lot of players who are in flying form left out for this one.
        The 2nd row conundrum is just one of many in the team. Beirne with more turnovers in the HCup than anyone in last 3 years, Henderson winning MOM yesterday in his 1st day back, Toner in the form of his life and vital to our line out and Ryan probably the best of the lot. Not to mention that Dillane is back fit, Roux & Thornberry playing well in Connacht and Klein's Irish qualification on the horizon. Good times indeed.

Comment

My 6n Preview

In the 6N momentum is everything, what with no home and aways, the draw of the fixtures can help a team. (ie Home first, when they play Italy)

Ireland have Eng at home, then Scotland away, followed by Italy away. Two tough games first up, Eng are always hard, but do think they are not in great shape or confidence at the moment, even after their AI wins. E Jones is not sure of his first XV, key injuries etc. Scotland, an altogether different animal, HEC progress could be a plus, confidence, they play Italy at home first up, momentum, we've had difficulties with them in the past, get past these two games and we're up for a 6N decider in Cardiff. 1st or 2nd

Wales, no one knows, players always prioritise the Red jersey above everything else. HEC form means nothing, they are away to France first, away to Italy, then home to England. Either they'll be facing the Orcs with a great sense of self belief or a 1 and 1 loss win. They're also away to a Scotland on the up. Maybe Gats will be looking toward the RWC more than the 6N. 2nd or 3rd

France, home to Wales first up, either they'll be all fired up but unstructured or completely ****e and totally unstructured. Away to England next. Season over, half the players rebel and don a maillot jaune. 3rd or 4th

Scotland, Home to Italy, then home again to Ireland, could get off to a flyer, get the big mo.. Have the ability to run an all out attacking game. 2nd or 3rd. Dark horses.

England, as mentioned above, not sure even Jones knows his team. seems to be out of his depth and counting down the hours to the end of the RWC later in the year. 3rd or 4th

Italy, 5th again. Could beat France in their last game in Rome, but would be out on their feet by then.
          Nulla semper amicus, servivit mihi, in iniuriam mihi neminem quem non persolvi

Comment

Well Tadgh is out, Roux gets his seat on the plane to Portugal, other updates below

Murray Kinsella

7 mins ·

Huge shame for Tadhg Beirne as he's ruled out of the opening two rounds of the Six Nations. Quinn Roux comes into the Ireland squad in his place.
            Adam Byrne will travel to Portugal with Ireland as injury cover for Andrew Conway, who will be fully fit to train next week.
            Jack Conan will rehab his shoulder injury with Leinster, while Rob Kearney and Jack McGrath will also stay at home to get game time in the Pro14.

Comment

The thing with England is that they have a team good enough to win a grand slam if they are all available, Billy V and Itoje back, Farrell a doubt for them means ford takes over and he’s not up to it, but I wouldn’t bet against them.

Outside of those 3 key Darrow’s players they have lots of talent but no cohesion. Midfield is up in the air, and the back 3 is not far behind.

Comment

Sure the standard is so poor up this way.
                Wales aside, possibly, I'd fancy this group's chances. The RWC is the thing.

Starters:

Haley
                Zebo
                Farrell
                Farrell
                Larmour
                Carbery
                Cooney
                McGrath
                Scannell
                Porter
                Hendy
                Dillane
                Ruddock
                Conan
                Leavy

Finishers:

Big Tom, Cronin, Bealham, Ryan, VdeF, Marmion, Carty, Addison
                Gwan Joe!!

Comment

Originally posted by lawrence View Post
                  The thing with England is that they have a team good enough to win a grand slam if they are all available, Billy V and Itoje back, Farrell a doubt for them means ford takes over and he’s not up to it, but I wouldn’t bet against them.

Outside of those 3 key Darrow’s players they have lots of talent but no cohesion. Midfield is up in the air, and the back 3 is not far behind.
                  I think Ford is well up to it. In overall play, he's probably a more rounded FH than Farrell. Ford, being small, is regarded as a soft defender and often targeted in attack. In fact, his tackle stats are better than Farrell's, who misses a fair number through rushing up and poor technique. Ford is not at his best with Farrell at 12, since Farrell wants to boss the whole show and play like a 10/12 combined.
                  Erse end of nowhere

Comment

Henderson out, suddenly cover is looking weak at 2nd/back row

Comment

Originally posted by Sulla View Post
                      Two injuries and it all comes crashing down. Lucky that Dillane has been in good form but would definitely prefer to have Henderson or Beirne.

Comment

Im sure donncha ryan could do a job there ,over to you joe

Comment

Poor old Henderson, one game back, great form, then out again to a finger injury. Remember Gary Longwell, Ulster/Ireland lock, Broke a finger in training in 2003, and seriously asked the medical team to consider amputating it so he could go on and play (I think it was v. England). They did not and he kept his finger.
                          Erse end of nowhere

Comment

Originally posted by Spiffy View Post

I think Ford is well up to it. In overall play, he's probably a more rounded FH than Farrell. Ford, being small, is regarded as a soft defender and often targeted in attack. In fact, his tackle stats are better than Farrell's, who misses a fair number through rushing up and poor technique. Ford is not at his best with Farrell at 12, since Farrell wants to boss the whole show and play like a 10/12 combined.
                            I don’t think there are many better passers of a ball than Ford. I am not sure he is the best behind a pack that is struggling for ascendancy, he likes being sat in an armchair but then, who doesn’t.

Comment

Originally posted by Stringer9 View Post
                              No Rory Scannell...again. I’m not sure what else he can do. He must be pretty dissaponted, he’s playing really really well. He’s so underrated and really unlucky to not be involved. Hopefully he’ll get a chance but Schmidt doesn’t seem to have much interest.
                              0 likes which is no surprise as this post is very wide of the mark, he hasn’t been playing well at all, Goggin should be our 12, Scannell is miles off intl level given how slow he is. He doesn’t crash it up particularly well and given he is meant to be a skilful distributing 12 how often do we see him put people into space??
                              Last edited by Talking Sense; 22nd-January-2019, 00:09.
                              \"Only Pienaar, Botha and Ferris would be in contention for a place on our first 15. That\'s a fact.\" - Tickettout\'s take on Ulster April 2011.

Comment

I think part of the problem is Scannell's consistency. At his best he's pretty good, but seems to have problems in stringing together a run of impressive games and does not boss the 12 channel in the way that Henshaw/Aki can do. He is almost there, but not quite. Re. his pace - at times he looks fast enough, but often does not. Wonder if he is carring a bit too much weight? He's a decent player at provincial level, though not a nailed on starter, but seems a tad short of challenging for an Ireland starting spot.
                                Erse end of nowhere

Comment

Working...
                                X