Guinness 2019 6 Nations

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Piquet View Post

This is the big problem with Rugby Refs, as I see it. Some Refs let certain stuff go, others let other stuff go. All of them let further stuff go.

What's the point in having Laws if it's left up to the individual whether these Laws are enforced or not?

You see, OL, I'm old enough to remember when it was compulsory to put the ball into the Scrum "straight".

"Straight" is still in the Law Book, but it seems to have been re-defined.

The "Offside Line" seems to have been re-defined as well. It's more accurate now to call it the "Offside Curve"

Players with their hands on a Ruck are, these days, deemed to be bound to the ruck and, therefore are entitled to loiter way ahead of the proverbial "Hindmost foot"

When the two codes of (English) Football split, "soccer", when defining Offside included "while seeking to obtain an advantage" while "rugger" didn't. Merely being in front of the "Offside Line" was sufficient to be offside. Of course the "Materiality" concept qualifies this, bringing it into line with the other code.

Of course, Bill Shankly once posed the question that if one of his players was not "seeking to obtain an advantage" then what was he doing on the pitch?
    But thats the sport and laws being interpreted not rules.
    The redefinition in your eyes allows basically allow for putting ball in not straight. SH starts in middle and is allowed take step to their side so ball is never straight in the first place.
    I will take that over the mess that exists otherwise.
    Offside isnt a curve. Again i will bring in materiality. If your winger/furthest players from a breakdown are offside Who cares if theyre miles from play and not directly influencing play. You or your assistants/touch judges have a word when next opportunity arises but nothing more

Comment

Originally posted by the plastic paddy View Post
      Well, well, well. England nowhere near as good as Ireland and France made them look.
      England caught us a bit by surprise with their kicking game, and at the worst possible time with us trying Robbie at 15, and they took Earlsy out too just to make it a bit harder for our back three.

France inexplicably decided to play centres in their back three despite being forewarned.

Wales were the first decent side to be ready for England’s new kicking game, and the excellent Liam Williams did a tremendous job. They were also fit enough and fired up enough to outlast the English blitz defence and wear them down.

Great performance but I did expect Gatland, wily old bastard that he is, would have his lads ready for Farrell and co.

Comment

To what "mess" do you refer?

Requiring the ball to go in straight and allowing the Hookers to compete for it is a mess, is it?

If players are not wishing to influence play, as you put it, then they have the option of putting their arms up to show this. If I'm a winger and move forward to confront my opposite number, even on the open side well away from a scrum or ruck, I'm doing it just in case the ball comes our way, seeking to gain an advantage and, therefore offside .

Comment

Originally posted by Chrizzzie View Post

If we win from Italy with BP we have 9 end England 10. England play Italy and Scotland. Don't see them do anything else then 2x BP. Maybe the Scottish can help us bus not expecting it.
          Somehow I can’t see Scotland winning in Tickenham.

Comment

But he has a pal in the stand.
            Oh I'm not going to bat for him dont get me wrong, there is certainly a suggestion that Sir's word is final (on and off the field) and its not in World Rugby's interest to haul one of their men over the coals publicly.
            I am the million man.

Comment

To what "mess" do you refer?

Requiring the ball to go in straight and allowing the Hookers to compete for it is a mess, is it?

If players are not wishing to influence play, as you put it, then they have the option of putting their arms up to show this. If I'm a winger and move forward to confront my opposite number, even on the open side well away from a scrum or ruck, I'm doing it just in case the ball comes our way, seeking to gain an advantage and, therefore offside .
              Scrum halves will always look to edge it for their own side. This allows for this in law. Could there be changes possibly but it doesnt have seem to be wanted by anyone in unions/World Rugby.
              But theyre not directly influencing play. You dont penalise them simply for doing that. If a player is material to play call them up on it otherwise you dont penalise them.

Comment

Comment

So a scrum half feeding the ball into the second row of the Scrum is "not directly influencing play" is he?

I think not.

Comment

Farrell looks like a bold child in that
                    "There are a lot of points that we’ve left behind and this is with a young group. That probably tells you what they’re capable of and that they’re a very good side.

Probably next year or the year after next they will take some stopping"

Anthony Foley, May 2016. Axel RIP

Comment

Comment

Just shows the impact to the English game of losing a couple of big ball carriers - Mako and Itoje were huge losses for them today. Also being able to negate their kicking game also limits them significantly.

That last try against England to make it a 5-0 instead of 4-1 is likely to cost us the championship.

Comment

Originally posted by In Joe we trust View Post
                          Just shows the impact to the English game of losing a couple of big ball carriers - Mako and Itoje were huge losses for them today. Also being able to negate their kicking game also limits them significantly.

That last try against England to make it a 5-0 instead of 4-1 is likely to cost us the championship.

We can always deny Wales a grand slam which would be sweet. England voted for us hosting the world cup, Wales and Scotland didn't.

​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by kahalui View Post

Dupont knocked on just before he passed for the 'try'.
                            Authorities have to do something about the French TV - Dupont clearly knocked on in the build up for the first disallowed try, was clear in real time, ref asked for a replay. The TV Director showed very ****ing angle, every ****ing phase except that one. You could see the TMO getting frustrated. Finally he shows it once and then does the same BS again showing earlier and later phases. Juvenile stuff.

Comment

Great performance from Wales last night. Interesting to see how well prepared they were. They met the physical challenge in a way that we struggled to. They had the running game needed to work their way through a very well drilled defence, and they kept at it right to the last.

A couple of extra carriers might have tilted it for England, I guess. But Wales seemed to have their measure, and tackled ferociously.
                              "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

Originally posted by Balla Boy View Post
                                Great performance from Wales last night. Interesting to see how well prepared they were. They met the physical challenge in a way that we struggled to. They had the running game needed to work their way through a very well drilled defence, and they kept at it right to the last.

A couple of extra carriers might have tilted it for England, I guess. But Wales seemed to have their measure, and tackled ferociously.
                                There was also a difference in the reffing where Jaco was more strict on the offside line and messing in the ruck which impacted England considerably I thought as well as Itoje/Mako missing and Wales having a natural fullback to defuse a lot of the kicking game!

Comment

Working...
                                X