No announcement yet.

Guinness 2019 6 Nations

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting by gatty to give Williams a start at 9. Great player and one to watch.

you could make a serious argument that Wales should be favorites for the competition. Home advantage is key and they have us and denglish in Cardiff .

A win in Paris against an untested albeit potentially strong French side could set them up, don’t forget that it didn’t do us any harm last year....

Comment

Comment

Scotland 23

1. Allan Dell (Edinburgh) - 17 caps 2. Stuart McInally VICE-CAPTAIN (Edinburgh) - 22 caps 3. Willem Nel (Edinburgh) - 26 caps 4. Ben Toolis (Edinburgh) - 14 caps 5. Grant Gilchrist (Edinburgh) - 28 caps 6. Sam Skinner (Exeter Chiefs) - 3 caps 7. Jamie Ritchie (Edinburgh) - 6 caps 8. Ryan Wilson (Glasgow Warriors) - 41 caps 9. Greig Laidlaw CAPTAIN (Clermont Auvergne) - 66 caps 10. Finn Russell (Racing 92) - 40 caps 11. Blair Kinghorn (Edinburgh) - 7 caps 12. Sam Johnson (Glasgow Warriors) - uncapped 13. Huw Jones (Glasgow Warriors) - 19 caps 14. Tommy Seymour (Glasgow Warriors) - 46 caps 15. Stuart Hogg VICE-CAPTAIN (Glasgow Warriors) - 65 caps

16. Jake Kerr (Leicester Tigers) - uncapped 17. Jamie Bhatti (Glasgow Warriors) - 11 caps 18. Simon Berghan (Edinburgh) - 14 caps 19. Gary Graham (Newcastle Falcons) - uncapped 20. Josh Strauss (Sale Sharks) - 17 caps 21. Ali Price (Glasgow Warriors) - 19 caps 22. Adam Hastings (Glasgow Warriors) - 7 caps 23. Chris Harris (Newcastle Falcons) - 6 caps

Comment

From the Grauniad Breakdown
          "Computer predicts another good year for Ireland

Insurance company QBE has used a supercomputer in recent years to predict the outcome of the Six Nations. This year it gives a 63% chance of no one winning the grand slam, but when it comes to results it is predicting Ireland will win all five matches despite a likelihood of only 10% that they will do so. It is expected to be the tightest tournament in the Six Nations era. QBE rates Ireland’s title prospects at 42%, England’s at 28% and Wales’s 24%; Scotland’s and France’s are negligible, Italy’s nonexistent.

Ireland are predicted to beat England by three points, Scotland by seven, France by 15 and Wales, in the final round, by two to give them a second grand slam in the Schmidt era. France are only given a 28% chance of beating Wales in Paris on Friday and are predicted to win one match, in Italy, with Scotland at home down as a draw. France is the closest Italy are expected to get to victory in another whitewash campaign.

England have not lost in Cardiff in the Six Nations since the 2013 defeat that cost them the title and the computer prediction, which is based on a mathematical formula that has been used to simulate the tournament 10,000 times, producing outcomes from 150,000 matches, goes for a 20-19 home win.

The QBE table would see the same top two as last season, Ireland and Wales, with England moving to third and Scotland and France dropping a place."

Comment

Originally posted by lawrence View Post
            Interesting by gatty to give Williams a start at 9. Great player and one to watch.

you could make a serious argument that Wales should be favorites for the competition. Home advantage is key and they have us and denglish in Cardiff .

A win in Paris against an untested albeit potentially strong French side could set them up, don’t forget that it didn’t do us any harm last year....
            The French better show up on Friday. But on the other hand, can we ever rely on the French?

Comment

Comment

It's a beautiful thing to have the English resorting to calling us boring. I enjoy it each and every time.

Coming from Tindall it's especially laughable, he was a completely one dimensional player with no footwork, vision or handling skills of note and the man occupying his position in the Ireland team is a genius of creative attacking play (not to mention his world class defence).

It mainly comes across as an admission that they're not good enough, which an English person will never do outright.

God, I hate the huers and can't wait to bait them at the weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Snrub View Post
                  It's a beautiful thing to have the English resorting to calling us boring. I enjoy it each and every time.

Coming from Tindall it's especially laughable, he was a completely one dimensional player with no footwork, vision or handling skills of note and the man occupying his position in the Ireland team is a genius of creative attacking play (not to mention his world class defence).

It mainly comes across as an admission that they're not good enough, which an English person will never do outright.

God, I hate the huers and can't wait to bait them at the weekend.
                  Talking to English friends, there are plenty of them who will admit they aren’t good enough and they are embarrassed by Jones’ carry on as well. Eddie Jones is under fierce pressure.

Comment

Originally posted by neill_m View Post
                    Scotland 23

1. Allan Dell (Edinburgh) - 17 caps 2. Stuart McInally VICE-CAPTAIN (Edinburgh) - 22 caps 3. Willem Nel (Edinburgh) - 26 caps 4. Ben Toolis (Edinburgh) - 14 caps 5. Grant Gilchrist (Edinburgh) - 28 caps 6. Sam Skinner (Exeter Chiefs) - 3 caps 7. Jamie Ritchie (Edinburgh) - 6 caps 8. Ryan Wilson (Glasgow Warriors) - 41 caps 9. Greig Laidlaw CAPTAIN (Clermont Auvergne) - 66 caps 10. Finn Russell (Racing 92) - 40 caps 11. Blair Kinghorn (Edinburgh) - 7 caps 12. Sam Johnson (Glasgow Warriors) - uncapped 13. Huw Jones (Glasgow Warriors) - 19 caps 14. Tommy Seymour (Glasgow Warriors) - 46 caps 15. Stuart Hogg VICE-CAPTAIN (Glasgow Warriors) - 65 caps

16. Jake Kerr (Leicester Tigers) - uncapped 17. Jamie Bhatti (Glasgow Warriors) - 11 caps 18. Simon Berghan (Edinburgh) - 14 caps 19. Gary Graham (Newcastle Falcons) - uncapped 20. Josh Strauss (Sale Sharks) - 17 caps 21. Ali Price (Glasgow Warriors) - 19 caps 22. Adam Hastings (Glasgow Warriors) - 7 caps 23. Chris Harris (Newcastle Falcons) - 6 caps
                    I had been assuming that Scotland was more ore less equally significant split between Glasgow and Edinburgh. What I hadn’t realised was that the pack and backs are almost wholly Edinburgh and Glasgow respectively. Echos of former day’s for Ireland, and interesting prospect for our QF.

Comment

Italy 23 V Scotland.

15. Jayden Hayward (Benetton) 14. Angelo Esposito (Benetton) 13. Luca Morisi (Benetton) 12. Tommaso Castello (Zebre) 11. Michele Campagnaro (Wasps) 10. Tommaso Allan (Benetton) 9. Tito Tebaldi (Benetton) 1. Andrea Lovotti (Zebre) 2. Leonardo Ghiraldini (Toulouse) 3. Simone Ferrari (Benetton) 4. David Sisi (Zebre) 5. Dean Budd (Benetton) 6. Sebastian Negri (Benetton) 7. Abraham Steyn (Benetton) 8. Sergio Parisse (Stade Francais) (c)

16. Luca Bigi (Benetton) 17. Cherif Traore (Benetton) 18. Tiziano Pasquali (Benetton) 19. Federico Ruzza (Benetton) 20. Jimmy Tuivaiti (Zebre) 21. Guglielmo Palazzani (Zebre) 22. Ian McKinley (Benetton) 23. Edoardo Padovani (Zebre)

Benetton 14, Zebre 6 and 3 Others.

Sergio Parisse will set a new Guinness Six Nations record on Saturday afternoon when he lines up against Scotland for his 66th appearance in the 6N. The Azzurri skipper starts at No.8, going clear of Brian O’Driscoll’s previous total of 65. Leonardo Ghiraldini wins his 100th cap as he starts at hooker.
                      Last edited by neill_m; 1st-February-2019, 12:19.

Comment

Barry Murphy mentioned this on the Baz and Andrews House of Rugby Podcast,...

https://www.rugbyworld.com/countries...t-losses-90461

Sergio Parisse closing in on 100 Test losses

If Italy captain Sergio Parisse loses his next Test, against Scotland on Saturday, he will have lost 100 international matches.

The 34-year-old No 8 already holds the record for Test match losses. He has lost three times as many matches as he has played for the Azzurri, with 33 wins to his name, alongside the 99 losses (and a draw against Wales). No matter the result this weekend, Italy will take the Wooden Spoon for this year’s Six Nations. However a win would not only freeze Parisse on 99 losses, but also avoid a tournament whitewash.

Although Parisse is already considered one of the all-time great No 8, the Stade Francais back-rower has always been up against it. His record may also suffer due to the sheer volume of international matches he has played in, with 133 games to his name. He is now fifth on the list of most-capped players ever.

He was as lame as a duck. Not the metaphorical lame duck either, but a real duck that was actually lame. Maybe from stepping on a land mine or something.

Comment

Has anyone set up Munsterfans league on the irishrimes fantasy rugby ?

Comment

Great try France!

Comment

Louis Picamoles with a try has given the 2019 Six Nations a great start. Conversion missed. France 5-0 Wales, 8 mins
                              "I don't believe in fairytales," O'Connell once told me, "even though it feels like I've been lucky enough to live through a few. However it ends, I'll feel lucky."
                              Donald McRae, Guardian Rugby, October 2015

Comment

Liam Williams with a try disallowed for losing control. A bit unlucky, but the defence was pretty poor to give him the opportunity in the first place. Two big moments there for Navidi though.
                                "I don't believe in fairytales," O'Connell once told me, "even though it feels like I've been lucky enough to live through a few. However it ends, I'll feel lucky."
                                Donald McRae, Guardian Rugby, October 2015

Comment

Working...
                                X