No announcement yet.

RWC 2019 31 Man squad

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

O ’Mahony and Stander will travel barring injury. Ruddock would be my next choice only problem is as a 6.5 he is up against the former two and while an excellent player not quite at the level of either, if either injured out an excellent replacement. VDF will be back in time all going well. Conan has been putting his hand up and making some eye catching breaks, something the Irish team has been missing. SOB – if its the real SOB any day of the week - but it’s really starting to look like he is diminished by his injuries. Murphy was good at the weekend.
    A load of young pretenders have a chance, but they are all up against it. Of the young guns no one has mentioned Deegan yet, looks like a very decent player. Not a stato but suspect he has been in more Heineken squads than a lot of the others mentioned so arguably more experience at a higher level. I suspect barring injuries and assuming VDF comes back fit will be CJ, POM, VDF, Murphy and Conan who will travel. Ruddock will be very unfortunate but will miss out. SOB rolling back the years and rediscovering his mojo would bump one of Murphy and Conan, suspect Conan. Given the attritional nature of the game its highly likely one of these 6 will be injured for the RWC. Remember what happened poor Wally in the RWC warm ups in 2011.
    Anyone know what the rules are for injury replacement once the competition starts?

Comment

Ulster hooker Herring has been in a run of great form. At the moment he is probably a better loking all-round hooker than Scannell or Cronin. He's powerful, fast and a good carrier (ex flanker). If he holds this form he could be a serious candidate for the RWC squad.
      Erse end of nowhere

Comment

Something along the lines of:

O'Sullivan Herring Furlong
        Ryan Henderson
        Beirne CJ PO'M
        Murray Carty
        Earls Aki Farrell Lar
        Stockdale

Killer Cronin Ryan Dillane Murphy
        Blade JJ Zeebs

is starting to look like our best current outfit.

I've high hopes Healy, McGrath, Best, SOB, Jonty, Ringrose & co can be nurtured back to form between June and October.
        Gwan Joe!!

Comment

Originally posted by ustix View Post
          Something along the lines of:

O'Sullivan Herring Furlong
          Ryan Henderson
          Beirne CJ PO'M
          Murray Carty
          Earls Aki Farrell Lar
          Stockdale

Killer Cronin Ryan Dillane Murphy
          Blade JJ Zeebs

is starting to look like our best current outfit.

I've high hopes Healy, McGrath, Best, SOB, Jonty, Ringrose & co can be nurtured back to form between June and October.
          You are surely high??

Comment

Nope. Hi
            Gwan Joe!!

Comment

It will be interesting to see who goes as Ireland's centres. I don't think any of Aki, Henshaw or Ringrose are playing well right now and I think they all have similar strengths - solid players that are fairly limited in attack. The ease at which two fairly limited players(Brad Barritt and Lozowski) dominated the gain line, is a worry. The form centres in Ireland are definitely Farrell and McCloskey.

Comment

Originally posted by Mumhain View Post
                It will be interesting to see who goes as Ireland's centres. I don't think any of Aki, Henshaw or Ringrose are playing well right now and I think they all have similar strengths - solid players that are fairly limited in attack. The ease at which two fairly limited players(Brad Barritt and Lozowski) dominated the gain line, is a worry. The form centres in Ireland are definitely Farrell and McCloskey.
                Joe is picking. Aki, henshaw and ringrose will travel.

Comment

Originally posted by lawrence View Post

Ringrose had the worst game I've seen him play today, but he's a class act and I expect him to get back to form by the World Cup. I thought Henshaw was decent today, just up against a suffocating defence, and Aki brings something no other Irish centre does.

I think Farrell is in the mix too, and the chances of all 4 being fit and healthy at the same time these days are low, so I expect him to travel if fit.

Joe just doesn't like McCloskey, and being Joe you expect there is a good reason, relating to off the ball work.

Comment

Originally posted by blueberry View Post

Ringrose had the worst game I've seen him play today, but he's a class act and I expect him to get back to form by the World Cup. I thought Henshaw was decent today, just up against a suffocating defence, and Aki brings something no other Irish centre does.

I think Farrell is in the mix too, and the chances of all 4 being fit and healthy at the same time these days are low, so I expect him to travel if fit.

Joe just doesn't like McCloskey, and being Joe you expect there is a good reason, relating to off the ball work.

Versatility might come into it. Aki and Henshaw can play both positions, I’m not sure ringrose can play 12, if needed earls can play 13, so farrell might miss out because joe won’t see the need for 4 players who can play 13

Comment

I agree and I would pick them, too. Just wondering if there could be extra temptation to bring extra centres, due to the average form of the first choice trio.
                      I'm not sure it's just a one game thing either for Ringrose. He was was the worst centre on the pitch against Ulster, in the quarter-final. Against Wales and England in the six nations, he was pretty comprehensively outplayed by his opposition. I view him as a very good player, but think he is fairly overrated in Ireland. He offers very little physicality and line-speed in defense and he often just end up space for outside backs when he gets on the ball.

Comment

I think its very important to remember that there will be injuries. Last world cup Ireland had 34 players involved and given our injury profile in the centres hard to see only three staying fit the entire tournament?

Comment

You’d think they’d increase the number of players in the squad. 31 is too low in the modern day.
                          "The PRO12 is our domestic league, it's what you earn your bread and butter from; it's what pays the bills. We need to broaden our emphasis and get an understanding in Irish rugby that the domestic league from now on is most important and that's what qualifies you now for Europe.'' Garrett Fitzgerald, CEO Munster

Comment

Versatility might come into it. Aki and Henshaw can play both positions, I’m not sure ringrose can play 12, if needed earls can play 13, so farrell might miss out because joe won’t see the need for 4 players who can play 13
                            Ringrose isnt a 12 certainly not in the way Schmidt has whoevers inside centre playing recently.

Comment

Originally posted by KerryRed View Post
                              You’d think they’d increase the number of players in the squad. 31 is too low in the modern day.
                              What do you increase it to though? 31 is a match day squad plus another prop, hooker, 2nd row, backrow, 2 half backs and 2 outside backs
                              World Rugby mightnt do it as weaker sides wont have depth and aids stronger sides primarily.

Comment

Originally posted by ormond lad View Post
                                What do you increase it to though? 31 is a match day squad plus another prop, hooker, 2nd row, backrow, 2 half backs and 2 outside backs
                                World Rugby mightnt do it as weaker sides wont have depth and aids stronger sides primarily.
                                If anything teams that have to travel long distances should be allowed to have bigger squads if they want. It’s easy for AUS or NZ to bring in a player but a disadvantage for teams from Europe.

Comment

Working...
                                X