RWC 2019 31 Man squad

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ormond lad View Post
    But there isnt much chance of it happening especially when we have so many guys playing/capable of playing there. Id rather Henshaw was looked at as a 13 as thats where he started and did well in the centre and you had Bundee as a 12 inside him with both of them able play both positions as required
    TBH I think almost all of them are nailed on at this stage. Joe is pretty slow to change personnel and there’ll be feck all opportunity for anybody to force their way in between now and the RWC.

So predicting most of the squad is pretty easy. Not much fun though. More interesting to discuss alternatives and how we might get the most out of all our best players.

I think Henshaw’s a better 13 than 12 but a better 15 than 13, and we already have two excellent options in Ringrose and Farrell there.

As you say, at 12 we have Bundee, we also have McCloskey who can do everything Robbie does in that position, and Tyler may yet emerge as a second five eighth for Munster, which would offer another kind option altogether. Then there’s Tom Farrell at Connacht who’s been very impressive over the past year.

Comment

Originally posted by Munsterboy View Post

TBH I think almost all of them are nailed on at this stage. Joe is pretty slow to change personnel and there’ll be feck all opportunity for anybody to force their way in between now and the RWC.
      I know we all like to believe Joe is very conservative and slow to select new people, however, at the same time, he has introduced a lot of players to the Carlton crew, and match squads, and not all of them Leinster either! He seems determined to hang on to some that many of us think could be moved on from, but while the core/starting group is very stable (and successful) there are frequent changes around the edges. That said there probably won’t be too many surprises in the WC squad, how many surprises would we expect in the AB squad? His tactics, selection and player management have gotten us to 2nd in the world, unless changes would move us up more there’s not much of an argument for them (and yes, I’d prefer to see Zebo, O Halloran and a few others in the mix, but as long as they keep progressing I’m not sure I can make that strong of an argument for change).

Comment

So predicting most of the squad is pretty easy. Not much fun though. More interesting to discuss alternatives and how we might get the most out of all our best players.

I think Henshaw’s a better 13 than 12 but a better 15 than 13, and we already have two excellent options in Ringrose and Farrell there.

As you say, at 12 we have Bundee, we also have McCloskey who can do everything Robbie does in that position, and Tyler may yet emerge as a second five eighth for Munster, which would offer another kind option altogether. Then there’s Tom Farrell at Connacht who’s been very impressive over the past year.
        I'm not sure who else he could be including at this point, tbh. There's a 6N to come, and there'll be injuries, so I think that players will feel that there's a lot to play for in a WC year.
        "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

Whatever about 13 Robbie will never play 15 and i dont see him as better 15 anyway. He has always been a centre and only as he started off that he played full back and we have several excellent/better options at full back in Kearney
          I dont think McCloskey can do it at international level in big games. Certainly not showed anything much for Ireland in his appearances to date

Comment

Originally posted by ormond lad View Post
            Whatever about 13 Robbie will never play 15 and i dont see him as better 15 anyway. He has always been a centre and only as he started off that he played full back and we have several excellent/better options at full back in Kearney
            I dont think McCloskey can do it at international level in big games. Certainly not showed anything much for Ireland in his appearances to date
            John Muldoon seemed fairly adamant in insisting Henshaw's best position was 15 and he felt it was a shame to see him unable to showcase his talents at centre. His switch to centre was IRFU inspired given our lack of depth at the time and the impending retirements of BOD and D'arcy but given the emergence of Farrell, Ringrose and Aki in recent years it'd probably make a lot of sense for him to switch back.

Comment

Cummiskey has picked his 31.

Includes SOB, Leavy, VdF and Caelan Doris in the back row (along with POM and CJ. Can’t see it myself.

Reckons Cooney will go at a 9/10 so no room for Byrne (or Marmion). Possible I guess.

Other than that fairly predictable.

Comment

Injuries will be a rouge factor, bound to be at min 3 of those currently listed who may not be able to go due to injury, long or short term. Such is the nature of professional rugby. at least we have depth in most positions
                Nulla semper amicus, servivit mihi, in iniuriam mihi neminem quem non persolvi

Comment

Cummiskey has picked his 31.

Includes SOB, Leavy, VdF and Caelan Doris in the back row (along with POM and CJ. Can’t see it myself.

Reckons Cooney will go at a 9/10 so no room for Byrne (or Marmion). Possible I guess.

Other than that fairly predictable.
                  Doris is a talented kid but the RWC will be too soon for him. I think Joe will take the other five you mention with Beirne and Henderson providing backrow cover. With SOB's injury history he may well be crocked. If so, I'd have Ruddock in his place. On recent form Ruddock could make a good case over SOB anyway.

Erse end of nowhere

Comment

Originally posted by Dowlinz View Post
                    I wonder how many of Quinny's choices will make the final cut

Click image for larger version

Name:	12-C8-AFC2-C404-42-C2-97-C4-E8-A02-F8-F031-C.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	108.7 KB
ID:	2548689
                    When did he write that?
                    "They’re the benchmark that everyone else has to raise their game to meet." Alan Quinlan on Leinster

Comment

c2011
                      Gwan Joe!!

Comment

Originally posted by ustix View Post
                        c2011
                        Seems a bit long ago for Stephen Fitzgerald to be included. He played Senior Cup 2014 perhaps a season before too.

Comment

GVDH joined us later in the 2013-14 season - think he initially impressed with a deceptive turn of speed but IIRC got injured in his first or second game, so essentially we didn't see much of him till the 14-15 season. There were glimpses of potential in terms of being able to ghost past opposition defenders, but he just didn't seem to have the nous we needed. Anyway, I'd say the earliest that article could have been written was the latter part of 2014, maybe around that year's AIs?
                          Tis but a scratch.

Comment

Originally posted by Lad View Post

Seems a bit long ago for Stephen Fitzgerald to be included. He played Senior Cup 2014 perhaps a season before too.
                            Sure Franno had Macken and Andy Conway in the Irish backline at the height of the tiger
                            Gwan Joe!!

Comment

Originally posted by offshorerules View Post

When did he write that?
                              2015, some time shortly after the last world cup.

Edit: October 24th 2015 apparently
                              Last edited by Dowlinz; 11th-December-2018, 16:49.

Comment

Originally posted by Sulla View Post
                                42.ie's pick of the 31, based on the AI's

https://www.the42.ie/ireland-2019-wo...67778-Nov2018/

Can't really argue with too much, I'd probably have JvDF instead of SOB, too injury prone, Conway instead of Addison. Lot of water to flow under the bridges before next Sept.
                                Only possible bolter is JGP, IQ's in June.

Props:
                                Tadhg Furlong
                                Andrew Porter
                                Cian Healy
                                Jack McGrath
                                John Ryan

Hookers:
                                Rory Best [captain]
                                Sean Cronin
                                Niall Scannell

Second rows:
                                Iain Henderson
                                James Ryan
                                Devin Toner
                                Tadhg Beirne

Back rows:
                                Peter O’Mahony
                                Sean O’Brien
                                Dan Leavy
                                CJ Stander
                                Jordi Murphy

Scrum-halves:
                                Conor Murray
                                Luke McGrath
                                John Cooney

Out-halves:
                                Johnny Sexton
                                Joey Carbery
                                Ross Byrne

Centres:
                                Garry Ringrose
                                Bundee Aki
                                Robbie Henshaw

Back three:
                                Rob Kearney
                                Jacob Stockdale
                                Keith Earls
                                Jordan Larmour
                                Will Addison.
                                I would still have a certain D Ryan ahead of Beirne and Henderson. Ryan & Ryan has a nice ring to it as a second row.

Think the only back row 100% nailed on are POM & CJ. Realistically I cant see a fully fit Sean O'Brien not being brought but he has had a terrible run of luck. After that its two from about 5/6, there is such competition that the last two slots are anyone's guess. Personally think VDF is in front, Schmidt has picked him ahead of a fit Leavy in the past, but they are both ahead of Murphy Ruddock, Conan et al. .Murphy's versatility will potentially see him travel ahead of the competition, Leavy proved last weekend he is not an 8.

Back three is the problem.Conway played well when he got his chance but don't think either he or Larmour have played well enough to dislodge the current first choices. Back three is the weakest part of the team/squad and Stockdale apart neither Earls or Kearney has the kind of strike rate you'd like your wide players to have / would unduly concern any opposition. Wonder where could they get someone with a sprinters blood in his veins.........don't think its going to happen but with the strength of the squad elsewhere you wonder might they relent on a one off basis. Henshaw wont be risked at 15 against England or Scotland assuming he gets back fit in time, wonder would JS prevail upon Les Dames to give him a run at 15. If that happens he is under consideration potentially to play at 15 against Italy, if he doesn't play there for his club its a non starter to risk throwing him in at the deep end for an international.

Our lack of out and out world class in the back three is the squads Achilles heel. If we're being brutally honest we have competent/very competent (depending on your opinion) international class players but no one who really strikes the fear of God into the opposition out wide, feel that will ultimately cost us come the RWC.

Comment

Working...
                                X