RWC 2019 31 Man squad

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kahalui View Post

Scott Barrett, Retallick, Etzebeth, Lavanini, Itoje, AWJ, Nakarawa… different style second rows (some can play BR) but all world class.

Patrick Tuipulotu mightn’t even make the NZ WC squad but he’d walk onto team Ireland.

Ryan may get there, but he’s not there yet imo.
    I’d have him ahead of a one 1-2 of those for the workrate and consistency he brings .

But thats opinions for ya
    When their numbers dwindled from 50 to 8, the other dwarves began to suspect Hungry

Comment

Originally posted by Munsterboy View Post

All the subtlety of Stan Wright after a few beers.
      nice one.....

Click image for larger version

Name:	applause.jpeg
Views:	124
Size:	11.9 KB
ID:	2571736
      He was as lame as a duck. Not the metaphorical lame duck either, but a real duck that was actually lame. Maybe from stepping on a land mine or something.

Comment

Originally posted by Benji View Post

I’d have him ahead of a one 1-2 of those for the workrate and consistency he brings .

But thats opinions for ya
        Agree, think Ryan is better than a number of them already. Itoje for me is an accident waiting to happen to someone else the way he pays the game - Ryan is hard but fair, Itoje needs to reacquaint himself with a few of the laws of the game, especially around tackle height

AWJ currently best lock on the planet IMO, does his own work very very well and has the capacity and intelligence to lead brilliantly too

Comment

Scott Barrett, Retallick, Etzebeth, Lavanini, Itoje, AWJ, Nakarawa… different style second rows (some can play BR) but all world class.

Patrick Tuipulotu mightn’t even make the NZ WC squad but he’d walk onto team Ireland.

Yes he is. Ryan is an outstanding lock. I have been watching the Ireland team for decades. Ryan already has the most complete, all round game of any Irish lock I have seen, including Willie John and POC. He performs at the highest level in every game with respect to lineouts, tackles, carrying and all-round play. His consistency, rugby intelligence and superb engine are the basis of his excellence. He can do all the required grunt work and then some, is tough as nails and hardly ever injured. POC was a great player, lineout operator and captain, but not a great ball carrier. Ryan is already well ahead in that aspect of the game and at least the equal in all others. All this in his early 20s.
          This lad is something very special and will only get better. I would not rate him below any of the players you list above, except possibly Retallick, and then it would be a close thing. Ireland captain within the next two years.

Erse end of nowhere

Comment

Originally posted by Spiffy View Post

Yes he is. Ryan is an outstanding lock. I have been watching the Ireland team for decades. Ryan already has the most complete, all round game of any Irish lock I have seen, including Willie John and POC. He performs at the highest level in every game with respect to lineouts, tackles, carrying and all-round play. His consistency, rugby intelligence and superb engine are the basis of his excellence. He can do all the required grunt work and then some, is tough as nails and hardly ever injured. POC was a great player, lineout operator and captain, but not a great ball carrier. Ryan is already well ahead in that aspect of the game and at least the equal in all others. All this in his early 20s.
            This lad is something very special and will only get better. I would not rate him below any of the players you list above, except possibly Retallick, and then it would be a close thing. Ireland captain within the next two years.

I'd add passing and vision to your assessment too. There was one try in his first season where he lined up as if he was going to hit the line and then changed direction to pop Leavy in for a try on his inside. Remarkable stuff to see from a young lock and the defence had no idea it was coming.

Comment

He still needs to find the ability to put the Fear of God into his opponents (and teammates)
              "There are a lot of points that we’ve left behind and this is with a young group. That probably tells you what they’re capable of and that they’re a very good side.

Probably next year or the year after next they will take some stopping"

Anthony Foley, May 2016. Axel RIP

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Snrub View Post

I'd add passing and vision to your assessment too. There was one try in his first season where he lined up as if he was going to hit the line and then changed direction to pop Leavy in for a try on his inside. Remarkable stuff to see from a young lock and the defence had no idea it was coming.
                The vast majority of locks play like that week in week out these days. I don't think it's remarkable. It has become the standard.

The game you're talking about was 1st half of Leinster-Saracens last season. Looked like a set play from the training ground to me.

Comment

Id say the majority of posters on here have been watching rugby for decades. Comparing current day PRO players to those from the amateur era is pointless imo.

Ryan is a very good lock and would be one of the first names I'd have on the Irish team, nevertheless… and to keep things simple, I'll use just one example from the above list.
                  Everything you said about Ryan could be applied to Scotty Barrett. The difference is Barrett offers more athleticism, more physicality, more dynamism (great fending/offloading game)... has better footwork and way more pace than Ryan.
                  According to the Kiwi boys (Ali Williams & Co.) on the breakdown show a couple of weeks ago, Israel Dagg said S. Barrett is the second fastest player in the crusaders squad (backs included). That’s some stat for a lock. Check out the try he scored against the Chiefs from the half way line a few games ago.
                  He’s arguably NZs best poacher as well. I think he’s up there with, if not ahead of- Savea, Cane and Retallick in this facet of play, which is no mean feat. He made a huge impact at the breakdown when he came off the bench against us last November.
                  In that game, the Irish commentators nearly creamed themselves at one stage when Retallick got knocked backwards in a tackle and lost control of the ball. All the credit was given to Ryan, when in reality it was a combo tackle from both him and Toner that did the damage.
                  Aside from on one occasion, Ryan struggled to make yards (get over the gain line) in that game and there were times when the likes of Retallick or Savea got over the gain line by bulldozing over him, which was ignored by our commentators.

Your claim is that Ryan will only get better so that will make him the best lock in the world sometime soon…. we’ll see if that actually materializes.
                  Right now, he’s a very solid/consistent, well rounded lock but there are other locks out there who offer even more than he does imo, Scotty Barrett being one of them.
                  Last edited by kahalui; 20th-June-2019, 17:22.

Comment

POC was a great player, lineout operator and captain, but not a great ball carrier. Ryan is already well ahead in that aspect of the game and at least the equal in all others. All this in his early 20s.
                    Paulie was never known for his carrying but to claim Ryan is currently as good a LO operator as Paulie was, is nonsense. He's got a long way to go before anyone can make that claim.

Comment

The vast majority of locks play like that week in week out these days. I don't think it's remarkable. It has become the standard. Laughable nonsense. Which ones, just so I can watch out for them when I'm watching the interpros next season?

The game you're talking about was 1st half of Leinster-Saracens last season. Looked like a set play from the training ground to me. Set play, what are you on about?
                      Both nonsense points. Apologies, all Leinster players are terrible and deserve to be dragged through Limerick tied to the back of piebald pony.

Comment

Did you know that Gerry Ryan R.I.P. (ex RTE) is James Ryan's uncle? His Dad is Vinnie "Mano" Ryan.
                        Yorn desh born, der ritt de gitt der gue,
                        Orn desh, dee born desh, de umn bork! bork! bork!

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Snrub View Post

Both nonsense points. Apologies, all Leinster players are terrible and deserve to be dragged through Limerick tied to the back of piebald pony.
                          I think you're being a little hard on Leinster players saying they're all terrible, Mr Scnubs.

World class locks was the subject being discussed. Do try to keep up. Interpros and current Munster players is a separate topic.

Comment

The only one those you mention thats better is Retallick and Nakarawa...

Comment

Id say the majority of posters on here have been watching rugby for decades. Comparing current day PRO players to those from the amateur era is pointless imo.

Ryan is a very good lock and would be one of the first names I'd have on the Irish team, nevertheless… and to keep things simple, I'll use just one example from the above list.
                              Everything you said about Ryan could be applied to Scotty Barrett. The difference is Barrett offers more athleticism, more physicality, more dynamism (great fending/offloading game)... has better footwork and way more pace than Ryan.
                              According to the Kiwi boys (Ali Williams & Co.) on the breakdown show a couple of weeks ago, Israel Dagg said S. Barrett is the second fastest player in the crusaders squad (backs included). That’s some stat for a lock. Check out the try he scored against the Chiefs from the half way line a few games ago.
                              He’s arguably NZs best poacher as well. I think he’s up there with, if not ahead of- Savea, Cane and Retallick in this facet of play, which is no mean feat. He made a huge impact at the breakdown when he came off the bench against us last November.
                              In that game, the Irish commentators nearly creamed themselves at one stage when Retallick got knocked backwards in a tackle and lost control of the ball. All the credit was given to Ryan, when in reality it was a combo tackle from both him and Toner that did the damage.
                              Aside from on one occasion, Ryan struggled to make yards (get over the gain line) in that game and there were times when the likes of Retallick or Savea got over the gain line by bulldozing over him, which was ignored by our commentators.

Your claim is that Ryan will only get better so that will make him the best lock in the world sometime soon…. we’ll see if that actually materializes.
                              Right now, he’s a very solid/consistent, well rounded lock but there are other locks out there who offer even more than he does imo, Scotty Barrett being one of them.
                              The big mistake is using Super Rugby as a yardstick for international rugby. The fact you describe James Ryan as only "very solid" tells me you are quite one eyed on this one...

Comment

Originally posted by Cathalsmart View Post

The big mistake is using Super Rugby as a yardstick for international rugby. The fact you describe James Ryan as only "very solid" tells me you are quite one eyed on this one...
                                The best four teams in the last world cup were all from super rugby clubs/southern hemisphere and I wouldn't be surprised if that were the case this time round as well.

I said Ryan is a very good lock and would be one of the first names I'd have on the Irish team.
                                You Leinster fans are getting your knickers in a twist. Have a look at the title of this thread.
                                My comments on Ryan have nothing to do with Leinster-Munster rivalry. I compared him to some of the current worlds best locks, none of which happen to be from Munster.

Comment

Working...
                                X