RWC 2019 31 Man squad

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dropkick View Post

I'm not too bothered by the speed of the back 3. Stockdale, Earls, Conway and Larmour are all fast. The problem is the way Schmidt wants the team to play.

Ruck to ruck to ruck. A war of attrition in every game and they'll be knackered by the 1/4 final. I looked at the fixtures and south Africa have 3 or 4 more days to prepare for the 1/4 final should we meet them. The Scots will fancy their chances too.

Theres talk of Schmidt holding back things for the world cup but that's wishful thinking IMO.
    If Schmidt doesn't open it up a bit he's going to leave under a cloud b/c it is clear that you can't win by bullying anyone in the top 5. maybe you can try it on lesser teams, but in the QF, it won't fly. We'll know what the deal is if we Sexton still playing fairly flat to the line passing to static carriers. If that's how they're going to play, they won't make it past the QF for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by dropkick View Post

I'm not too bothered by the speed of the back 3. Stockdale, Earls, Conway and Larmour are all fast. The problem is the way Schmidt wants the team to play.

Ruck to ruck to ruck. A war of attrition in every game and they'll be knackered by the 1/4 final. I looked at the fixtures and south Africa have 3 or 4 more days to prepare for the 1/4 final should we meet them. The Scots will fancy their chances too.

Theres talk of Schmidt holding back things for the world cup but that's wishful thinking IMO.
      We had our worst 6Nations in a long time and still beat Scotland over there. Munster beat Edinburgh and Leinster beat Glasgow over there in big games and somehow we should be worried that Scotland will beat us in Japan?

We also wont have to go to war in the remaining group games.

Our focus after game 1 will be on SA and looking to win 3 games in a row. Will experience and talent outweigh proven capacity to win these games in the selection battle?

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Benji View Post

Your having a laugh regarding Tod ,
        ‘’Tod warrants inclusion by attrition alone ‘’

He hasn’t been able to put games back to back in a few years . Very unlucky he would get injured getting dressed in the morning.

Its probably ok having him there as his an out and out 7 which might be needed . But he needs a bit of luck to stay fit

I agree that he's very unlucky with injury. My point re: attrition is that he and VDF are the last 7's standing in the country, and so the questions that were being raised about whether he'd played, whether he had form etc were largely by the by.

If he's fit right now, imo, he travels.

"We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

Originally posted by In Joe we trust View Post
          We had our worst 6Nations in a long time and still beat Scotland over there. Munster beat Edinburgh and Leinster beat Glasgow over there in big games and somehow we should be worried that Scotland will beat us in Japan?

We also wont have to go to war in the remaining group games.

Our focus after game 1 will be on SA and looking to win 3 games in a row. Will experience and talent outweigh proven capacity to win these games in the selection battle?

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
          That "worst 6 nations in a long time" was, unfortunately, our last 6 nations. On current form, we're more than capable of losing to Scotland and Japan and going out in the group stages.
          "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

Originally posted by Finnegan79 View Post

If Schmidt doesn't open it up a bit he's going to leave under a cloud b/c it is clear that you can't win by bullying anyone in the top 5. maybe you can try it on lesser teams, but in the QF, it won't fly. We'll know what the deal is if we Sexton still playing fairly flat to the line passing to static carriers. If that's how they're going to play, they won't make it past the QF for sure.
            England bullied us in the 6N this year.
            Yorn desh born, der ritt de gitt der gue,
            Orn desh, dee born desh, de umn bork! bork! bork!

Comment

Originally posted by Balla Boy View Post

That "worst 6 nations in a long time" was, unfortunately, our last 6 nations. On current form, we're more than capable of losing to Scotland and Japan and going out in the group stages.
              We are capable of losing, of course, and in previous world cups might well have done. However i think we can put our 6N form behind us, and I’d imagine that Joe and others will have been trying to address tactically the way England and others took our game apart. This is our best chance in any World Cup so far, I’m relieved we’ve had a reality check before getting to Japan.

Comment

Originally posted by jagawayagain View Post

We are capable of losing, of course, and in previous world cups might well have done. However i think we can put our 6N form behind us, and I’d imagine that Joe and others will have been trying to address tactically the way England and others took our game apart. This is our best chance in any World Cup so far, I’m relieved we’ve had a reality check before getting to Japan.
                Our 6N form, and our proud history of never knowingly not ****ing up a world cup campaign.

I think we have the players to do well, but it's a massive test of the coaching team. The timing has been awful for them. Last autumn they had a winning formula a year out from a world cup, and then we got sussed, basically.

Now we've got to push and evolve a game plan that we've been successfully honing for some time now. That's a big change of gear.

Main worry for me is form and availability though. I don't think we're half the team we were since Leavy was lost. His loss has been immeasurable since the 6N before last. Murray's form is still a concern. Stander and POM look ground down by the **** show that is the Munster game plan. Even Furlong was getting put on his arse during the 6N. To improve on previous performances we need our very best players at the top of their game. I think we're short on both.

I have a vague hope that the general lack of explosivity and dash from some of our top players has something to do with timing on conditioning over the season and the shift in focus away from the spring and towards the autumn. But that's even more wishful thinking than the "we've got a playbook we're not showing yet".

Comment

Bigly, but the bulk of the Irish pack made small boys of Glasgow last weekend.

​​​im not disagreeing with you, but it's a marker to some extent perhaps
                  I am the million man.

Comment

Our 6N form, and our proud history of never knowingly not ****ing up a world cup campaign.

I think we have the players to do well, but it's a massive test of the coaching team. The timing has been awful for them. Last autumn they had a winning formula a year out from a world cup, and then we got sussed, basically.

Now we've got to push and evolve a game plan that we've been successfully honing for some time now. That's a big change of gear.

Main worry for me is form and availability though. I don't think we're half the team we were since Leavy was lost. His loss has been immeasurable since the 6N before last. Murray's form is still a concern. Stander and POM look ground down by the **** show that is the Munster game plan. Even Furlong was getting put on his arse during the 6N. To improve on previous performances we need our very best players at the top of their game. I think we're short on both.

I have a vague hope that the general lack of explosivity and dash from some of our top players has something to do with timing on conditioning over the season and the shift in focus away from the spring and towards the autumn. But that's even more wishful thinking than the "we've got a playbook we're not showing yet".
                    Agree completely- there are reasons to be concerned- I too had hoped that it was something to do with conditioning, but am doubting that now- and the hidden playbook to be revealed in all its glory when we land in Japan is equally fanciful. As you say, a very big test of the coaching team. What makes it worse is that last autumn we had reached heights we’d never gotten to before- that means is is/was possible, so not getting back there will be a clear failure. It’s a real chance for all concerned though- maybe the best chance the team and coaches will have- it might just drive them on.

What I don’t want to see is us play our normal game, which is enough for us to top our group, and then take on a contender with that same game and get dismantled, just as we could have expected and prepared for (but just thought working harder at the same plan might be enough).

Comment

Originally posted by jagawayagain View Post

Agree completely- there are reasons to be concerned- I too had hoped that it was something to do with conditioning, but am doubting that now- and the hidden playbook to be revealed in all its glory when we land in Japan is equally fanciful. As you say, a very big test of the coaching team. What makes it worse is that last autumn we had reached heights we’d never gotten to before- that means is is/was possible, so not getting back there will be a clear failure. It’s a real chance for all concerned though- maybe the best chance the team and coaches will have- it might just drive them on.

What I don’t want to see is us play our normal game, which is enough for us to top our group, and then take on a contender with that same game and get dismantled, just as we could have expected and prepared for (but just thought working harder at the same plan might be enough).
                      It will all boil down to whether Joe et al can kick on.

I am genuinely wondering whether the loss of Leavy, to some extent, has undone our game plan. The root of the issue for me is that England in particular were able to murder our ball and slow it down so much. As soon as we lose momentum there our game plan is dead in the water.

For a season, he was genuinely one of the best opensides I've ever seen play. Totally phenomenal in his impact.

Van Der Flier has been very impressive since coming back though so hopefully he can plug the gap.

I genuinely think that man for man in Sexton, Henshaw, Aki, Earls, Ringrose, Farrell, Stockdale, Conway we have the makings of a very, very dangerous attack. Down to the coaches to get it moving.

Comment

It will all boil down to whether Joe et al can kick on.

I am genuinely wondering whether the loss of Leavy, to some extent, has undone our game plan. The root of the issue for me is that England in particular were able to murder our ball and slow it down so much. As soon as we lose momentum there our game plan is dead in the water.

For a season, he was genuinely one of the best opensides I've ever seen play. Totally phenomenal in his impact.

Van Der Flier has been very impressive since coming back though so hopefully he can plug the gap.

I genuinely think that man for man in Sexton, Henshaw, Aki, Earls, Ringrose, Farrell, Stockdale, Conway we have the makings of a very, very dangerous attack. Down to the coaches to get it moving.
                        But in order to get a dangerous attack going you need forwards who can carry, pass, hit angles, offload etc. Not being funny but based on what we've seen from the provinces in the last year or so you need to make some changes in order to do that up front.

You are probably looking at not picking Best, POM, CJ in order to do so....Guys like Cronin, Beirne at 6 and Conan at 8 are better suited to that style of play.

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy View Post

Bigly, but the bulk of the Irish pack made small boys of Glasgow last weekend.

​​​im not disagreeing with you, but it's a marker to some extent perhaps
                          Same Glasgow boys that Sarries (England) dismantled? We might have the beating of Scotland, but England? South Africa? (who'll peak for the RWC)
                          Nulla semper amicus, servivit mihi, in iniuriam mihi neminem quem non persolvi

Comment

Originally posted by In Joe we trust View Post

But in order to get a dangerous attack going you need forwards who can carry, pass, hit angles, offload etc. Not being funny but based on what we've seen from the provinces in the last year or so you need to make some changes in order to do that up front.

You are probably looking at not picking Best, POM, CJ in order to do so....Guys like Cronin, Beirne at 6 and Conan at 8 are better suited to that style of play.

Cronin couldn't hit a cow's arse with a banjo. He will always be a liability, and never more than a bench option.

Stander is the best back row carrier in Europe bar Vunipola. The fact that Munster and Ireland have deployed him as a hod carrier is neither here nor there. He's a far, far better 8 than Conan.

Comment

For everyone talking about players current form, the World Cup is 4 months away, it’s next season. Not tomorrow, not next week, it starts at the end of September. Current form is irrelevant. So regardless of how Ruddock for example played against Scarlets in April will be pretty insignificant come October because this is a level above. (No disrespect to Ruddock, the same could be applied to a lot of players such as Scannell.) Players lift their game when they are playing with Ireland. Everything is one step higher.

So unless we are hit with, God forbid, a lot of injuries, the players we have been seeing week in and week out with Ireland will be the ones Schmidt knows can get things done against New Zealand. With the exception of one or two players, I imagine Schmidt knows who 95% of his team will be.

Did we have a poor 6 Nations yes, does that mean anything come the World Cup? No. In fact that 6 Nations could be the best thing that happened to our WC preparation. There's a long way to go before the World Cup.
                              Last edited by Stringer9; 30th-May-2019, 12:47.
                              The Maul is Back!! LONG LIVE THE MAUL!!

Stringer is bigger even than his own immense shadow. Pound for pound, he is the best tackler in the world. If you put him into bag of cats he\'d come out without a scratch. He was hit very late for Murphy\'s try. And when he got up, as we knew he would, the crowd cried his name as if he had just fixed the economy.Billy Keane-After Munster\'s famous loss to the AB\'s.

The Bull-Truly irreplaceable, a mountain of a man. 100 caps!!

Comment

Originally posted by Miguel Sanchez View Post

England bullied us in the 6N this year.
                                they did more than that though, it wasn't just power up front driving Ireland backwards. they kicked very well and Ireland didn't have an answer. Also, for all the talk of them dominating, it was a 4 point game 65 minutes in. I meant to say "you can't just bully", meaning that he's got to come up with some other aspects than a forward based power game b/c that probably won't get it done.

Comment

Working...
                                X