Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RWC 2019 31 Man squad

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Originally posted by blackwarrior View Post

    Didn't Conor Murray play in 2011?
    Ooops Edited....


    Squad positional make up will be similar to previous world cups..

    2007 props: Simon Best, John Hayes, Marcus Horan, Bryan Young.
    2011 props: Cian Healy, Mike Ross, Tom Court, Tony Buckley/John Hayes.
    2015 props. Cian Healy Tadhg Furlong Jack McGrath Nathan White, Mike Ross

    2007 hookers: Rory Best, Jerry Flannery, Frankie Sheahan
    2011 hookers: Rory Best, Damian Varley, Sean Cronin.
    2015 Hookers: Rory Best, Sean Cronin, Richardt Strauss

    2007 second rows: Donnacha O'Callaghan, Paul O'Connell, Malcolm O'Kelly
    2011 second rows: Donnacha O'Callaghan, Paul O'Connell, Leo Cullen, Donncha Ryan.
    2015 second rows: Paul O'Connell, Donncha Ryan, Devin Toner, Iain Henderson.

    2007 back rows: Stephen Ferris, David Wallace, Denis Leamy, Alan Quinlan, Neil Best, Simon Easterby.
    2011 back rows: Sean O'Brien, Stephen Ferris, David Wallace, Shane Jennings, Jamie Heaslip, Denis Leamy.
    2015 back rows: Peter O'Mahony, Jamie Heaslip, Chris Henry, Jordi Murphy, Sean O'Brien

    2007 scrum halves: Peter Stringer, Isaac Boss, Eoin Reddan.
    2011 scrum halves: Conor Murray, Isaac Boss, Eoin Reddan.
    2015 Scrum Halves: Conor Murray, Eoin Reddan

    2007 fly halves: Ronan O'Gara, Paddy Wallace.
    2011 fly halves: Ronan O'Gara, Johnny Sexton.
    2015 Fly halves: Jonathon Sexton, Ian Madigan, Paddy Jackson

    2007 centres: Brian O'Driscoll, Gordon D'Arcy, Gavin Duffy.
    2011 centres: Brian O'Driscoll, Gordon D'Arcy, Paddy Wallace.
    2015 centres: Darren Cave, Robbie Henshaw, Jared Payne.

    2007 wings/fullbacks: Brian Carney, Denis Hickie, Shane Horgan, Andrew Trimble, Girvan Dempsey, Geordan Murphy.
    2011 wings/fullbacks: Keith Earls, Luke Fitzgerald, Tommy Bowe, Fergus McFadden/Andrew Trimble, Rob Kearney, Geordan Murphy.
    2015 wings/fullback: Tommy Bowe, Keith Earls, Luke Fitzgerald, David Kearney, Rob Kearney, Simon Zebo
    Last edited by i_like_cake; 29th-May-2019, 06:51.
    He was as lame as a duck. Not the metaphorical lame duck either, but a real duck that was actually lame. Maybe from stepping on a land mine or something.

    Comment



      O'Brien being out does spare us the inevitability of having to replace him 15 minutes into the first game. He's not been fit for a long time, and London Irish would be well served to have a clause in their contract re: insurance.

      TOD warrants inclusion by attrition alone. He's a solid 7 more than capable of playing an effective role in group games.

      Dave Kearney wasn't good enough when he was supposedly good.

      Interesting to see Kleyn being included in the set up.
      "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

      "Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy


      "I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

      Comment


        Roux has an injury and may well be included at a later date.

        Comment


          Originally posted by theghost View Post
          Ireland extended World Cup training squad:

          Props (7): Cian Healy, Jack McGrath, Dave Kilcoyne, Tadhg Furlong, John Ryan, Andrew Porter, Finlay Bealham

          Hookers (4): Rory Best, Sean Cronin, Niall Scannell, Rob Herring

          Second rows (6): James Ryan, Devin Toner, Iain Henderson, Tadhg Beirne, Ultan Dillane, Jean Kleyn

          Back rows (7): CJ Stander, Peter O’Mahony, Josh van der Flier, Jack Conan, Rhys Ruddock, Jordi Murphy, Tommy O’Donnell,

          Halfbacks (8): Conor Murray, Kieran Marmion, Luke McGrath, John Cooney, Johnny Sexton, Jack Carty, Ross Byrne, Joey Carbery

          Centres (5): Bundee Aki, Garry Ringrose, Robbie Henshaw, Chris Farrell, Rory Scannell

          Back threes (7): Keith Earls, Rob Kearney, Jacob Stockdale, Andrew Conway, Jordan Larmour, Dave Kearney, Mike Haley.

          Unavailable due to injury: Sean O’Brien, Dan Leavy.
          19, 15, 5, 5.
          A poor return from up north and the west.
          Gwan Joe!!

          Comment


            Originally posted by Balla Boy View Post
            O'Brien being out does spare us the inevitability of having to replace him 15 minutes into the first game. He's not been fit for a long time, and London Irish would be well served to have a clause in their contract re: insurance.

            TOD warrants inclusion by attrition alone. He's a solid 7 more than capable of playing an effective role in group games.

            Dave Kearney wasn't good enough when he was supposedly good.

            Interesting to see Kleyn being included in the set up.
            Yeah the hand wringing over O'Brien seems a bit much to me. It is being described as a massive loss, but in reality him missing out isn't that big of a deal given what he's been like since the Lions tour. If it was prime SOB, then yeah, that's a huge loss. losing him as he has been recently, not so much. London Irish were a bit mad to hand him a big contract.

            Comment


              Dan Leavy is the biggest loss by a mile, we are significantly weaker without him, if Daverage gets in ahead of anyone else I'll give up
              Last edited by Talking Sense; 29th-May-2019, 13:40.
              \"Only Pienaar, Botha and Ferris would be in contention for a place on our first 15. That\'s a fact.\" - Tickettout\'s take on Ulster April 2011.

              Comment


                I wonder will we see POM play a few games at 7. I think Joe played him there against Australia where he did very well against Pocock and Hooper
                When things go wrong, blame McGahan

                Comment


                  Think McCloskey a bit unlucky, think he is a better distributor than Aki while offering a lot of the same virtues in terms of trucking the ball up and in defence. A better player than Rory S too in my opinion, although its good to see him make the cut. Looking at the wings and full backs thats' when you realise we just don't have the quality in terms of the speedsters to have a realistic shot. The only starting player other teams would look at enviously anymore would be Stockdale and the fact 2 of our first choice back 3 are in their 30's says it all, I dont think that is true for any other team with semifinal / final aspirations, speed unfortunately does drop off with age.

                  Comment


                    See Stephen Ferris is saying that POM and CJ should be replaced in the back row
                    There is one way to find out if a man is honest; ask him! If he says yes you know he\'s crooked.
                    Groucho Marx

                    Comment


                      Originally posted by Balla Boy View Post
                      O'Brien being out does spare us the inevitability of having to replace him 15 minutes into the first game. He's not been fit for a long time, and London Irish would be well served to have a clause in their contract re: insurance.

                      TOD warrants inclusion by attrition alone. He's a solid 7 more than capable of playing an effective role in group games.

                      Dave Kearney wasn't good enough when he was supposedly good.

                      Interesting to see Kleyn being included in the set up.
                      Your having a laugh regarding Tod ,
                      ‘’Tod warrants inclusion by attrition alone ‘’

                      He hasn’t been able to put games back to back in a few years . Very unlucky he would get injured getting dressed in the morning.

                      Its probably ok having him there as his an out and out 7 which might be needed . But he needs a bit of luck to stay fit



                      When their numbers dwindled from 50 to 8, the other dwarves began to suspect Hungry

                      Comment


                        Originally posted by spanish red View Post
                        See Stephen Ferris is saying that POM and CJ should be replaced in the back row
                        everyone is going crazy for Conan atm. I say let him get a few starts in the warm ups against England and Wales. have CJ off the bench as he can cover multiple positions along the back row. wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. o'mahony won't be dropped for the same reason toner won't get dropped, lineouts. He is top notch at stealing lineout balls.

                        Comment


                          Originally posted by LongtimeLurker View Post
                          Think McCloskey a bit unlucky, think he is a better distributor than Aki while offering a lot of the same virtues in terms of trucking the ball up and in defence. A better player than Rory S too in my opinion, although its good to see him make the cut. Looking at the wings and full backs thats' when you realise we just don't have the quality in terms of the speedsters to have a realistic shot. The only starting player other teams would look at enviously anymore would be Stockdale and the fact 2 of our first choice back 3 are in their 30's says it all, I dont think that is true for any other team with semifinal / final aspirations, speed unfortunately does drop off with age.
                          I'm not too bothered by the speed of the back 3. Stockdale, Earls, Conway and Larmour are all fast. The problem is the way Schmidt wants the team to play.


                          Ruck to ruck to ruck. A war of attrition in every game and they'll be knackered by the 1/4 final. I looked at the fixtures and south Africa have 3 or 4 more days to prepare for the 1/4 final should we meet them. The Scots will fancy their chances too.


                          Theres talk of Schmidt holding back things for the world cup but that's wishful thinking IMO.

                          Comment


                            Originally posted by spanish red View Post
                            See Stephen Ferris is saying that POM and CJ should be replaced in the back row

                            What they're not taking into account is the long hard season POM and Stander had. Their performance level was always going to nosedive towards the end of the season. POM made most world 15s last year and now there's calls that Leinster sub Ruddock should replace him.


                            ​​​​​​Conan has never proved himself at international level yet. I'd like to see more competition in the squad so good luck to him and everyone else.

                            Comment


                              Originally posted by dropkick View Post


                              What they're not taking into account is the long hard season POM and Stander had. Their performance level was always going to nosedive towards the end of the season. POM made most world 15s last year and now there's calls that Leinster sub Ruddock should replace him.


                              ​​​​​​Conan has never proved himself at international level yet. I'd like to see more competition in the squad so good luck to him and everyone else.
                              the warm ups are where these guys should get a shot. if they do well great, but if they don't instantly shred England or Wales, some sanity will creep back in. i have no doubt Conan and Ruddock can do well, but when Ireland are facing the boks or all blacks, I want the guys who have been there and done it before in the back row.

                              Comment


                                Originally posted by spanish red View Post
                                See Stephen Ferris is saying that POM and CJ should be replaced in the back row
                                Ferris routinely has a pop at Munster players. Fine player in his day but no great shakes as a commentator or pundit
                                "There are a lot of points that we’ve left behind and this is with a young group. That probably tells you what they’re capable of and that they’re a very good side.

                                Probably next year or the year after next they will take some stopping"

                                Anthony Foley, May 2016. Axel RIP

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X