Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very post modern

Comment

Bit of a risk going with Farrell considering he's never been a head coach. He has made a difference since he came in and seems to have the respect of everyone which is vital.

​​​​​​Greg Feel is also leaving. He's done wonders for Irish scrummaging. So we need to replace him and need an attack coach. I'd prefer an attack coach with a bit of experience and someone who has proved themselves already. So it might be too early for ROG IMO.

Farrell might also need a while to grow into the role. Ireland are playing great rugby this season but it wasn't always the case under schmidt. Let's not forget Dave Kearney was a regular on the wing for years. Still, he's built a great squad since the last world cup and you can see why the IRFU are looking for continuity.

Comment

One of the positives about Farrell is that he has worked with the players, both when at Carlton House, but also backnin provinces ( eg time he worked with Munster a coupe of years ago). He won’t be a shock to a system that works, but is also a determined and shrewd guy. This is the boot room culture that made Liverpool a dominant force a few decades ago. I think he is a very good appointment, given that we know what we are doing. SA needed someone to rebuild their whole system, and Aus not far behind (clearly a scheme to change/support Cheike was rumbled before it got of the blocks). We are more like NZ- no radical change needed, but a great opportunity for a guy to get 10% more, with great inside knowledge, rather than changing the direction. Farrell seems like someone who’s his own man, but really able to relate well to people and not too proud to learn. Onwards and upwards.

Comment

Originally posted by dropkick View Post
          Bit of a risk going with Farrell considering he's never been a head coach. He has made a difference since he came in and seems to have the respect of everyone which is vital.
          All appointments come with a certain amount of risk, personally I think this is the correct call. Who would you go for instead of Farrell?

Comment

Originally posted by red exile View Post

All appointments come with a certain amount of risk, personally I think this is the correct call. Who would you go for instead of Farrell?
            The obvious other candidate is Lancaster. More experience, highly rated as a technical coach, doing a great job with Leinster’s attack (which is what Joe personally oversaw for Ireland) and seems like a thoroughly decent lad too.

Also, it would be a blow to the Bloos to lose him, which would be a nice little bonus!

Comment

Originally posted by Munsterboy View Post

The obvious other candidate is Lancaster. More experience, highly rated as a technical coach, doing a great job with Leinster’s attack (which is what Joe personally oversaw for Ireland) and seems like a thoroughly decent lad too.

Also, it would be a blow to the Bloos to lose him, which would be a nice little bonus!
              I hope Lancaster would be involved on the technical side, always rated him. He was badly let down by his England players and hung out to dry by the RFU.

Comment

Originally posted by red exile View Post

I hope Lancaster would be involved on the technical side, always rated him. He was badly let down by his England players and hung out to dry by the RFU.
                Agreed.

He's clearly and excellent coach, as evidenced by Leinster's domination last season.

Comment

Looks like Mike Catt could be the new attack coach according to Fanning.

Good appointment IMO.

Comment

Working...
                  X