A word from our sponsors

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2018 Autumn International: Ireland V Italy (Soldier Field)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stringer9
    replied
    Originally posted by Spiffy View Post
    What is there to talk about? Dillane started his Ireland career with a bang but has been out of form for a long time now. He is not even the best lock in Connacht. Don't know what happened to him. He is young enough to play himself back into contention, but doubt that he will go to the world cup given the quality of the leading four locks.
    If I remember right, 2016 was a big year for him, then he picked up a long term injury in 2017 and then sadly his mother passed away suddenly last year.
    You can’t blame the young lad for being off. He’s only 24, (injuries aside) he’s plenty time left. Hopefully he gets back to where he was and pushing for an Irish place but he’s not had an easy time of it. Realistically, the majority of Irish players won’t make the WC, it’s just the way it is, timing is everything but hopefully he’ll be back in the Irish team one day.
    Last edited by Stringer9; 9-November-2018, 00:42.

Leave a comment:

• jagawayagain
    replied
    Originally posted by Spiffy View Post
    What is there to talk about? Dillane started his Ireland career with a bang but has been out of form for a long time now. He is not even the best lock in Connacht. Don't know what happened to him. He is young enough to play himself back into contention, but doubt that he will go to the world cup given the quality of the leading four locks.
    Disappointing for him- but does seem off the pace. Time was people on here were saying get him back to Munster- haven’t heard that clamour for a while, and with Kleyn becoming no IQ, you can add a plus one to the four he’s behind for Japan. Hope he rebuilds it.

Leave a comment:

• Spiffy
    replied
    Originally posted by paddy0090 View Post

Not one Munster player born in Munster there......kind of funny that no one talks about Dillane anymore. Stage is nively set for Beirn to in MOTM vs USA just like Dillane 2 years ago.

Leave a comment:

• Cowboy
    replied
    Originally posted by paddy0090 View Post

Not one Munster player born in Munster there......kind of funny that no one talks about Dillane anymore. Stage is nively set for Beirn to in MOTM vs USA just like Dillane 2 years ago.
    Will I add Nagle just under Devin?

Leave a comment:

• Cowboy
    replied
    Originally posted by LongtimeLurker View Post

Thinks its pretty clear Joey came here over Belfast at the end of a JS shotgun. Superb player but 2 year contract with Sexton likely to retire in 2020? I can only see one outcome. It looks to me like Joey secured assurances that he will be back in blue for the 2020/1 season before agreeing to come here. We wont see him for dust.
    Off to get my tinfoil hat.
    Wouldn't begrudge any player his ambitions nor would I worry about it until what you suggest actually happens

He's a Munster player for 2 seasons and has shown more in red already than any 10 since Rog gave up the game

Damn glad to have him

Leave a comment:

• jagawayagain
    replied
    Originally posted by LongtimeLurker View Post

Thinks its pretty clear Joey came here over Belfast at the end of a JS shotgun. Superb player but 2 year contract with Sexton likely to retire in 2020? I can only see one outcome. It looks to me like Joey secured assurances that he will be back in blue for the 2020/1 season before agreeing to come here. We wont see him for dust.
    Even if that turns out to be so, BJ will have had the Irish stand off to learn with, and will have matured further. Others from outside Munster have settled, and some born and reared have moved- what we need to do as team mates and fans is to make it hard to leave. If he decides to go having given us two years like the few months we’ve had so far, I’ll be delighted he came.

Leave a comment:

• paddy0090
    replied
    Originally posted by Cowboy View Post

James Ryan
    Iain Henderson
    Tadhg Beirne
    Jean Kleyn
    Scott Fardy
    DevinToner

Leave a comment:

• LongtimeLurker
    replied
    Originally posted by whimpersnap View Post
    To be fair, if Carbery felt he had been managed properly he'd still be in Leinster.

He and Hanrahan had similar problems at provincial level, albeit with different timelines - stuck behind the Ireland 10 and, then, finding opportunities limited with a second 10 getting preferred and being shunted to full back.

Leave a comment:

• Cowboy
    replied
    Originally posted by Balla Boy View Post
    Toner is at best the 4th best lock in Ireland. And he's a big fanny.
    James Ryan
    Iain Henderson
    Tadhg Beirne
    Jean Kleyn
    Scott Fardy
    DevinToner

Leave a comment:

• TomsOnTheRoof
    replied
    Originally posted by redherring View Post

I wouldn't suggest Kearney can't kick. He certainly can't tackle. But Larmour is more high risk which is a no no in playbook Joe Schimdt and less so is Conway. One thing Kearney does better is his positional sense which ironically often puts him in positions to make tackles which he usually doesn't. He does run the ball back with a safer option of retaining possession which is a yes yes for JS.
    That wasn't meant to be an attack on Kearney, I was just using him as an example. He's well able to retain possession and has a decent Garryowen but his line kicking is poor and he often slices it.

The Kearney situation does illustrate the conservatism which is still present in Irish rugby. I've experienced it first hand where people will talk down to you if you happen to think a "flashy" player is better than the incumbent. It's as if you don't have the wit to appreciate the subtleties of the game. You don't qualify as a student of the sport. Which is a load of ********. Stander has been criticised as recently as the 6 Nations for being a one dimensional bosh merchant who can't pass. This is despite the fact that he was in the top three forwards for passing in the tournament (Irish) as well making a tonne of tackles.

We've all seen the treatment​​​​​​ of Stockdale, Conway and Larmour by certain sections of fans. It's a joke. Beirne is now coming in for similar treatment. We're hearing how he hasn't been tested despite him being European Player of The Year. He has an excellent rucking game, his lineout work is second to none and he carries hard. When you ally this to the extras he brings then he should be a shoe in but some people are more worried about getting as many of their own province's players onto the team as possible. Cooney is another example of this. Certain fans and members of the media turn international windows into a chore to be endured rather than enjoyed. Then again maybe I'm getting too worked up over nothing.

Leave a comment:

• redherring
    replied
    Originally posted by TomsOnTheRoof View Post

It's the kind of conservatism which would have people tell you that Kearney is a better option at fullback than Larmour or Conway because of his positioning, despite the fact he can't kick, tackle or make a break.
    I wouldn't suggest Kearney can't kick. He certainly can't tackle. But Larmour is more high risk which is a no no in playbook Joe Schimdt and less so is Conway. One thing Kearney does better is his positional sense which ironically often puts him in positions to make tackles which he usually doesn't. He does run the ball back with a safer option of retaining possession which is a yes yes for JS.

Leave a comment:

• Waterfordlad
    replied
    Originally posted by Balla Boy View Post
    Has he?

Leave a comment:

• Balla Boy
    replied

Leave a comment:

• paddy0090
    replied
    Originally posted by dropkick View Post
    T
    He was arguably the best forward in Europe last season. He was motm or near motm against Exeter, Gloucester and Italy.
    He turns the ball over multiple times per game, has good hands, a big workrate, good ball carrier, good lineout man. He is more than backing up the hype.

​​​
    He really wasn't. He had a big impact on about 3 games -Bath(a) ,Toulon(h) and the SF vs LAR.

Leave a comment:

• paddy0090
    replied
    Originally posted by Talking Sense View Post
    Beirne has been outstanding in Europe for 2/3 seasons now, Toner never plays like Beirne plays.
    He mad his debut in round 4 vs Toulon (when they were already out), his record is 1/1/1 in 16/17, 5/3 in 17/18 and 2/0 18/19. In wasn't outstanding in all those games particularly his first season. But even just focusing on last season, he didn't really show up until the 4th round away to the Italian (and even then he carried once).

He was a massive player for the Scarlets because like Barclay they had him all year round. I saw vs Leinster during the 6N and he was the best player on the pitch(playing in the back row IIRC). I kind of suspect that he benefitted massively from being in the same team as Barclay and Davies wrt poaching because Leinster showed he could be marked out of a game when they're absent.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X