Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2018 Autumn International: Ireland V Italy (Soldier Field)

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #16
    Anybody heading out to this that would be good enough to get me a programme? Full costs covered naturally

    Comment


      #17
      Originally posted by lawrence View Post



      I have one recollection of stockdale playing 15 for ulster and it wasn’t a good outing. I don’t think he has the smarts for it. He does one thing brilliant playing on the wing, I don’t think he can add the facets to his game that a international 15 needs.
      Like Larmour he played 15 for the Ireland U20s and was a class apart at that level so I wouldn't write him off. Neither of them has set the world alight in the position at senior level but they can both learn.

      Comment


        #18
        Originally posted by GEORGETHEBEST View Post
        Anybody heading out to this that would be good enough to get me a programme? Full costs covered naturally
        If you'll pay my full costs to go to the game I will definitely bring you a programme. Feck it, I'll bring you two!

        Comment


          #19
          Originally posted by Munsterboy View Post

          Like Larmour he played 15 for the Ireland U20s and was a class apart at that level so I wouldn't write him off. Neither of them has set the world alight in the position at senior level but they can both learn.
          Agreed. Stockdale is a pretty good footballer with a big boot on him. He has played quite well at 13 in the past too. He generally looks good coming through midfield and can cut a good line.

          Italy have a largely experimantal team out too. Thirteen changes from the team that beat Japan, and plenty of new faces. Interesting that Moresi, the star fullback of the last 6N, seems to be starting at 12 - an exciting little player with a step and gas to burn (though perhaps on the small side to face Bundi Aki.)

          Erse end of nowhere

          Comment


            #20
            Originally posted by Munsterboy View Post

            If you'll pay my full costs to go to the game I will definitely bring you a programme. Feck it, I'll bring you two!
            Walked into that didnt i !

            Comment


              #21
              Eir Sport showing free to air coverage of the game on their youtube channel/facebook page on Saturday night (ROI only).
              Last edited by neill_m; 31-October-2018, 15:16.

              Comment


                #22
                This game isn’t really capturing the imagination, it seems that Thejoeshow is using it as a opportunity to try players and combos and a while a loss wouldn’t be the end of the world you would have to question what we are getting out of it? Is it linked contractually to the All blacks fixture where the IRFU made a wad of money? Or is this a standalone game financially because the splitting of the squad between carton house and Chicago along with the reduction of joes time with the main group / his late arrival to Chicago is hardly ideal preparation for two stern tests.

                Are we starting to see the development of a plan for the World Cup where we will have almost two international sides for the World Cup? One for the Japan and Scotland games and one for the other fixtures allowing for the primary group of players to be rested before a QF?

                Comment


                  #23
                  Originally posted by lawrence View Post
                  This game isn’t really capturing the imagination, it seems that Thejoeshow is using it as a opportunity to try players and combos and a while a loss wouldn’t be the end of the world you would have to question what we are getting out of it? Is it linked contractually to the All blacks fixture where the IRFU made a wad of money? Or is this a standalone game financially because the splitting of the squad between carton house and Chicago along with the reduction of joes time with the main group / his late arrival to Chicago is hardly ideal preparation for two stern tests.

                  Are we starting to see the development of a plan for the World Cup where we will have almost two international sides for the World Cup? One for the Japan and Scotland games and one for the other fixtures allowing for the primary group of players to be rested before a QF?
                  Considering the issues we've had with squad depth historically, I think this is a great development. That France game last World Cup was a great result but effectively ended our chances of going any further because of the injuries sustained. Carbery's men should all be test ready and have test experience should they need to be called up against southern hemisphere opposition.

                  Comment


                    #24
                    Originally posted by lawrence View Post
                    This game isn’t really capturing the imagination, it seems that Thejoeshow is using it as a opportunity to try players and combos and a while a loss wouldn’t be the end of the world you would have to question what we are getting out of it? Is it linked contractually to the All blacks fixture where the IRFU made a wad of money? Or is this a standalone game financially because the splitting of the squad between carton house and Chicago along with the reduction of joes time with the main group / his late arrival to Chicago is hardly ideal preparation for two stern tests.

                    Are we starting to see the development of a plan for the World Cup where we will have almost two international sides for the World Cup? One for the Japan and Scotland games and one for the other fixtures allowing for the primary group of players to be rested before a QF?
                    As Lad says, it's a great chance to start some back-up players and try out combos and systems. We have feck all games left to do so.

                    (Also, I believe the IRFU are getting 1m quid for it.)

                    Comment


                      #25
                      Originally posted by Munsterboy View Post

                      As Lad says, it's a great chance to start some back-up players and try out combos and systems. We have feck all games left to do so.

                      (Also, I believe the IRFU are getting 1m quid for it.)
                      Ah yeah, also a money spinner, no harm there either.

                      Comment


                        #26
                        Originally posted by GEORGETHEBEST View Post
                        Anybody heading out to this that would be good enough to get me a programme? Full costs covered naturally
                        I'm going, will bring you back one if I remember, and it survives the weekend!

                        Comment


                          #27
                          Originally posted by Munsterboy View Post

                          As Lad says, it's a great chance to start some back-up players and try out combos and systems. We have feck all games left to do so.

                          (Also, I believe the IRFU are getting 1m quid for it.)
                          If the figure if 1m is accurate then that might be worth all the hassle because we could start backup players in a Dublin fixture without dragging half the national squad to Chicago

                          Comment


                            #28
                            The team according to Gavin Cummiskey:

                            Ireland (possible): J Larmour; A Conway, G Ringrose, B Aki, J Stockdale; J Carbery, L McGrath; J McGrath, N Scannell, A Porter; T Beirne, Q Roux; R Ruddock, J van der Flier, J Conan.

                            Looks like Scannell has overtaken Cronin for definite.
                            "I don't believe in fairytales," O'Connell once told me, "even though it feels like I've been lucky enough to live through a few. However it ends, I'll feel lucky."
                            Donald McRae, Guardian Rugby, October 2015

                            Comment


                              #29
                              Originally posted by blackwarrior View Post
                              The team according to Gavin Cummiskey:

                              Ireland (possible): J Larmour; A Conway, G Ringrose, B Aki, J Stockdale; J Carbery, L McGrath; J McGrath, N Scannell, A Porter; T Beirne, Q Roux; R Ruddock, J van der Flier, J Conan.

                              Looks like Scannell has overtaken Cronin for definite.
                              Maybe as a starter, but Cronin has great value coming on fresh from the bench in the second half when his pace is dangerous against a tiring opposition. Maybe that's how Joe sees his primary role - as an impact player who is always quite likely to nick the kind of try that other hookers can't score.. Both are playing pretty well at the moment, but Best will not be easily shifted as the starting hooker.

                              Erse end of nowhere

                              Comment


                                #30
                                Originally posted by lawrence View Post

                                If the figure if 1m is accurate then that might be worth all the hassle because we could start backup players in a Dublin fixture without dragging half the national squad to Chicago
                                Jaysus Lawrence, it’s only a flight away, and it’s no harm to take the lads a bit out of their comfort zone.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X