Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2018 Autumn International: Ireland V Italy (Soldier Field)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Stringer9 View Post

A joke of a heading but the line below from the interview is comforting...

“Definitely, there’s nothing the matter with Pete. Peter’s fine and trained fully during the week.”

Will Kearney be the next player conveniently injured so Schmidt doesn’t have to man up and make a call. (Now it seems he is actually injured...this time) but Schmidt always seems to have a player pop up with a little niggle that stops him from actually having to make a big call and say he’s made a call based on form etc.

I think Kearney, if he’s fit, will start but he’s surely running on borrowed time. Kearney surely is walking the line from being that unlucky player who picks up knocks left, right and centre.
    Kearney is always injured - there's no conspiracy. He generally gets picked when he is fit.

Comment

Originally posted by lawrence View Post
      As mobile and destructive a pairing of Bernie and Ryan would be, and I’m sure we will see them together at some stage once there are viable
      lineout options, I don’t think it’s going to happen against the AB’s.

Toner is a mainstay of Joes teams, and I can’t see that changing this month.

Bernie will probably not play this weekend, or not start at least (and if he does then it probably rules him out starting against NZ) but the locks that do start this week have extra impetus to put in a strong performance
      As to who Joe selects I agree with all this

Comment

Kearney has been " running on borrowed time" as Stringer9 puts it for a good while now.

I reckon he has some compromat on Joe.

Comment

Originally posted by Piquet View Post
          Kearney has been " running on borrowed time" as Stringer9 puts it for a good while now.

I reckon he has some compromat on Joe.

In fairness to him, limited as he is, and constantly ignored in the media are his flaws, you have to give him credit for his performances in the later games of the 6 nations this year.

The way I see it is that next years World Cup is a stretch for him, he may go and he may play but you can’t expect him to play all group games and be in top form for a QF, so another option at FB is needed, that’s probably larmour but when does he play a competitive game against a top side? If he doesn’t play against NZ then it has to be during the 6N, and if he doesn’t play much in the 6N then you risk going to Japan with one old and one untested inexperienced FB.

I think no matter where Kearney is injury wise that Larmour has to start at 15 against NZ and possibly the argies

Comment

Originally posted by RichardP View Post
            This reminds me of the debate over Longwell and POC when so many were saying POC wasnt ready and Longwell blah blah blah, then POC instantly made us forget about Gary (who was a decent player on his day). Beirne is hands down the best Irish secondrow; Ryan is very close behind him that. As a combination they could be worldbeaters. Henderson usually performs best when he has something to prove, so a very good bench option, while Toner can be kept in reserve at this stage.
            Beirne isnt at all hands down the best second row. How is he?
            Toner shouldnt be kept just in reserve at this stage. Still offers a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by ormond lad View Post
              Probably just his carrying, poaching, scoring, defending, lineout steals, mauling, man of the match awards....

Comment

He was very good against an under strength Italy.

Comment

Probably just his carrying, poaching, scoring, defending, lineout steals, mauling, man of the match awards....
                  He isnt hands down best second row though. His carrying and poaching is good but defending/lineout steals he isnt far better than many others.

Comment

He isnt hands down best second row though. His carrying and poaching is good but defending/lineout steals he isnt far better than many others.

Never said he was far better, just better.

Comment

​​​​​​Ryan, Beirne,Hendo and Toner in that order for me.
                      ​​​​​​#GiveLeinsterTheHCupNow

Originally Posted by mr chips
                      AG gets the responses he does because he is a journalist..

Comment

I dont think its unreasonable to say that Ryan is one of the top 2nd rows in the world, I also dont think its unreasonable to say that Ryan and Beirne are currently the best 2nd rows in Europe.
                        \"Only Pienaar, Botha and Ferris would be in contention for a place on our first 15. That\'s a fact.\" - Tickettout\'s take on Ulster April 2011.

Comment

Originally posted by Talking Sense View Post
                          I dont think its unreasonable to say that Ryan is one of the top 2nd rows in the world, I also dont think its unreasonable to say that Ryan and Beirne are currently the best 2nd rows in Europe.
                          D Ryan I presume....

I agree with the point made earlier that Toner not given the credit he deserves here. He has been superb out of touch for Ireland and given the highly structured rugby Ireland play his value out of touch means that he plays. Especially since 2 of our three regular hookers suffer from the yips and like the comfort blanket of a very tall man to throw to. He is very underrated in terms of his link play hereabouts as well. I think Beirne & Larmour both had fine games at the weekend but I think everyone needs to calm down and look at the quality of the opposition, if Beirne looks that good against a decent team then its time to get excited, to say Beirne far better than Toner on the basis of a good showing against a crap Italy side does not do either of them justice. Ryan starts with Toner for me, Beirne fighting with Henderson for the bench or possibly with O’Mahony for 6 jersey. Given the 6/7 into 3 conundrum and the fact CJ not exactly pulling up trees will be interesting to see the make up of the backrow this weekend, wonder if SOB will be considered at 8.

Someone else posting about its great about the number of Munster men in the side, call me old fashioned but I still struggle calling Andrew Conway a Munsterman, never mind CJ, Beirne and Carberry, sure they play for Munster & are 100% committed, but we’re fooling ourselves about the strength in depth of the game in Munster if we are getting excited about these Munster players playing for Ireland – & I don’t intend any disrespect to any of them individually, their commitment is never in question. I just feel that there are just too many Leinster and South African imports too few local players coming through. At some point with too many players from outside the province the traditional values of Munster diminish and become too diluted and lose their meaning, just wonder are we hitting that tipping point.

For all the slagging about the conveyor belt there was one Munsterman starting last weekend in Niall Scannell and with Murray out its likely to be two in Earls and O’Mahony at the weekend, 13% of the Irish team will be Munstermen with maybe 1 more on the bench. That is a crying shame, an embarrassment. 7 of the 8 starting forwards and 5 of the 7 starting backs who started last weekend passed along the conveyor belt at some point. We need to do more than be snide and envious and snipe about it, we need to sort the underage structures out, identify the talent and bring it through.

I cant help but have a nagging doubt that if a natural talent like JJ had come through the Leinster system they would have looked after him much better and he would have had 30+ caps by now.

Comment

Beirne has been outstanding in Europe for 2/3 seasons now, Toner never plays like Beirne plays.
                            \"Only Pienaar, Botha and Ferris would be in contention for a place on our first 15. That\'s a fact.\" - Tickettout\'s take on Ulster April 2011.

Comment

RP did though and thats who started this... Beirne is a good player. May go on and make the row his own as first choice for Ireland but is not as good as some are making him out to be right now

Comment

Originally posted by Talking Sense View Post
                                Beirne has been outstanding in Europe for 2/3 seasons now, Toner never plays like Beirne plays.
                                Of course Toner doesnt. Theyre completely different players with totally different skill sets and what they bring to teams. Beirne has played 6 and 8 before. Toner has never been anything but a second row and a specific type of second row at that

Comment

Working...
                                X