Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2018 Autumn International: Ireland V Italy (Soldier Field)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2018 Autumn International: Ireland V Italy (Soldier Field)

Don't think there's a thread for this yet.

Going by who has/hasn't been selected to start this weekend, the following starting XV looks likely against Italy:

Killer
    Cronin
    Porter
    Toner
    Beirne
    Ruddock
    VdF
    Conan
    Cooney/McGrath
    Carbery
    Stockdale
    ?
    Ringrose
    Sweetnam
    Larmour

Just to confirm this game will start at 8pm Irish Time and is on Premier Sports and Eir Sport.

Carbs does look likely to start at 10.

Comment

None of those lads are starting this weekend and almost everybody else in the AI squad is so, given those named make up a pretty strong A side, I doubt it’s a coincidence. However, wouldn’t be surprised to see one or two alterations (maybe Scannell at hooker for example).

Big question is the centres. All those selected bar Ringrose are starting this weekend and I’d be surprised if he plays against Italy unless Joe thinks he needs another game.

Personally I’d like to see the Ulster duo of McCloskey and Addison play. They’re a nicely balanced combo.

Comment

Connacht players were rested in Europe so I’d say they are all available to be selected.

Comment

26 Man Squad for the Game:

Forwards (15):
          Finlay Bealham, Tadhg Beirne, Jack Conan, Sean Cronin, Tadhg Furlong, Dave Kilcoyne, Jack McGrath, Jordi Murphy, Andrew Porter, Quinn Roux, Rhys Ruddock, James Ryan, Niall Scannell, Devin Toner, Josh van der Flier

Backs (11):
          Will Addison, Bundee Aki, Ross Byrne, Joey Carbery, Andrew Conway, John Cooney, Jordan Larmour, Luke McGrath, Garry Ringrose, Jacob Stockdale, Darren Sweetnam

No captain named as yet.
          Last edited by neill_m; 29th-October-2018, 11:34.

Comment

So neither the squad captain nor either of the vice-captains are travelling? Has there been a travelling captain named? Ruddock or Ryan I guess

One THP, one second row and one outside back to lose out. For the backs my guess is either Stockdale or Ringrose have dropped down to replace Arnold who needs to go through the RTP.
            Last edited by AwayFromHome; 29th-October-2018, 10:58.

Comment

Well, that simplifies the question regarding centres - only three in the squad. Ringrose has only played two games in the last month so will probably start at 13 with Aki at 12. Addison makes a good versatile bench option.

Comment

Good to see POM and CJ getting a rest, with Bernie rested last week the joint up thinking on player welfare between province and country is apparent.

Watch how England will flog their best players another few notches chasing wins against all opposition this November and their clubs will pay the price in decembers Hcup, wile their national side will pay the price come the 6N.

Comment

Strange to see Stockdale in this squad. Perhaps Joe is bringing him along to give him a go at 15. Conway hasn't been playing FB and Larmour hasn't got a huge amount of experience there. Addison is another option.

Comment

Originally posted by Munsterboy View Post
                    Strange to see Stockdale in this squad. Perhaps Joe is bringing him along to give him a go at 15. Conway hasn't been playing FB and Larmour hasn't got a huge amount of experience there. Addison is another option.
                    Stockdale hasn't played a huge amount of rugby this season. Only three appearances (218 mins) so far. Could do with some game-time. Agree with you about the issue at full-back.

Comment

John Ryan & Sammy Arnold were named in the Munster squad that left for SA. Weren't they named in the Irish squad last week? Can anyone shed any light on this?
                      Last edited by barryfitz87; 29th-October-2018, 13:58.

Comment

Originally posted by barryfitz87 View Post
                        John Ryan & Sammy Arnold were named in the Munster squad that left for SA. Weren't they named in the Irish squad last week? Can anyone shed any light on this?
                        Well neither is included in the Ireland squad that's travelling to Chicago this week, and if they're going to South Africa to play next Sunday it would suggest to me that neither is in line to feature against Argentina on Saturday week either. Not a big surprise in the case of Arnold who was ever only going to figure against the USA but it also suggests that Ryan may have dropped down the pecking order at tight-head.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Gibson View Post

Well neither is included in the Ireland squad that's travelling to Chicago this week, and if they're going to South Africa to play next Sunday it would suggest to me that neither is in line to feature against Argentina on Saturday week either. Not a big surprise in the case of Arnold who was ever only going to figure against the USA but it also suggests that Ryan may have dropped down the pecking order at tight-head.
                          I completely get what you're saying. I am just questioning why name them in the bigger squad if they are not going to train at all? If the squad got together last week and they were seen as surplus to requirements based on the sessions then fair enough. I don't know if there are other players in the same position I just noticed Ryan & Arnold because the Munster squad for SA was announced and it stuck out.

Comment

The game in Chicago has obviously split the squad up and the situation is a bit different to normal Novembers. I guess the full squad will come together next week before the Argentina match and it'll be interesting to see if any of the other 16 not going to America end up back with their provinces this weekend.

Players not going to Chicago

John Ryan, Rory Best, Rob Herring, Iain Henderson, Cian Healy, Dan Leavy, Sean O'Brien, POM, CJ Stander, Sam Arnold, Keith Earls, Robbie Henshaw, Rob Kearney, Kieran Marmion, Stuart McCloskey and Johnny Sexton.

Could see Herring and McCloskey playing for Ulster (away to Treviso) this weekend too. Maybe Dan Leavy for Leinster as he's not had a huge amount of game time this season (165 mins).

Comment

Originally posted by Munsterboy View Post

I have one recollection of stockdale playing 15 for ulster and it wasn’t a good outing. I don’t think he has the smarts for it. He does one thing brilliant playing on the wing, I don’t think he can add the facets to his game that a international 15 needs.

Comment

Working...
                              X