Ireland u18/19 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ireland u18/19 2019

10 Munster players in schools squad of 35 and 4 Munster players out of 22 in the clubs squad.
    http://irishrugby.ie/news/42738.php#.W8mvImhKjIU

Ireland U18 Schools Squad

Forwards-
    Lee Barron (St. Michael's College/Leinster)
    Jack Barry (Gonzaga College/Leinster)
    Aaron Coleman (Belvedere College/Leinster)
    Reuben Crothers (Wallace HS/Ulster)
    Mark Donnelly (CBC Cork/Munster)
    Oscar Egan (Coleraine Grammar School/Ulster)
    Craig Finn (St.Munchin's College/Munster)
    John Forde (PBC Cork/Munster)
    Will Hickey (St. Michael's College/Leinster)
    Sam Illo (Wesley College/Leinster)
    Alex Kendellen (PBC Cork/Munster)
    Patrick McAlpine (Campbell College/Ulster)
    Diarmuid McCormack (Clongowes/Leinster)
    Daniel Okeke (Ard Scoil Ris/Munster)
    Matthew Sands (St.Coleman's Newry & Newry RFC/Ulster)
    George Saunderson (Sullivan Upper School/Ulster)
    Alex Soroka (Belvedere College/Leinster)
    Tom Stewart (Belfast Royal Academy/Ulster)
    Levi Vaughan (Terenure College/Leinster)
    Riley Westwood (Bangor Grammar/Ulster)

Backs-
    Ben Carson (Wallace High School/Ulster)
    Chris Cosgrave (St. Michael's College/Leinster)
    Jack Delaney (Crescent CC/Munster)
    Nathan Doak (Wallace High School/Ulster)
    Aaron Leahy (CBC Cork/Munster)
    Daniel Hurley (PBC Cork/Munster)
    Greg Huntley (Down High School/Ulster)
    Diarmuid Kilcommins (Coláiste Bhaile Chláir & Corinthians RFC/Connacht)
    Conor McKee (Sullivan Upper/Ulster)
    Ben Murphy (Pres Bray/Leinster)
    Simon O'Kelly (St. Michael's College/Leinster)
    Harry O'Riordan (CBC Cork/Munster)
    Josh Pyper (Pres Bray/Leinster)
    Conor Rankin (Campbell College/Ulster)
    Cian Whooley (CBC Cork/Munster)

Ireland U18 Clubs Squad

Forwards-
    Liam Bishop (Trent College & Yorkshire Carnegie/IQ Rugby)
    Mark Boyle (Gorey RFC/Leinster)
    Donncha Byrne (Sligo RFC/Connacht)
    Eoin de Buitléar (An Ghaeltacht & Corinthians RFC/Connacht)
    Stephen Kelly (Letterkenny RFC/Ulster)
    Darragh McCarthy (Cobh Pirates RFC/Munster
    Oisin McCormack (Ballinsloe RFC/Connacht)
    Dylan Murphy (Nenagh RFC/Munster)
    Darragh Murray (Buccanners RFC/Connacht)
    Monty Royston (Hartpury College/IQ Rugby)
    Cian Scanlon (An Ghaeltacht & Corinthians RFC/Connacht)
    Jay Traynor (Waterpark RFC/Munster)

Backs-
    Michael Cooke (Sedbergh School & Newcastle Falcons/IQ Rugby)
    Ethan Coughlan (Ennis RFC/Munster)
    Cathal Forde (Corinthians RFC/Connacht)
    Aodha Hession (Creggs RFC/Connacht)
    Shane Jennings (Ballinasloe RFC/Connacht)
    Zach Kavanagh (SGS Filton College/IQ Rugby)
    Karl Martin (Boyne RFC/Leinster)
    Josh O'Connor (Wexford Wanderers RFC/Leinster)
    Conor O'Shaughnessy (Galwegians RFC/Connacht)
    Jamie Osborne (Naas RFC/Leinster)
    Last edited by ormond lad; 1st-November-2018, 14:19.

Pardon my ignorance- but why are there no players from underage club rugby in Cork/Limerick clubs?

Comment

Originally posted by jagawayagain View Post
      Pardon my ignorance- but why are there no players from underage club rugby in Cork/Limerick clubs?
      Limerick clubs had very few players in the Munster youths squad. Plenty in schools squad and Munster didnt do the best in the clubs interpro series being well beaten by both Connacht and Leinster.

Comment

Originally posted by ormond lad View Post
        Limerick clubs had very few players in the Munster youths squad. Plenty in schools squad and Munster didnt do the best in the clubs interpro series being well beaten by both Connacht and Leinster.
        Thanks- so had there been players good enough playing underage club they would have gotten in? Would be very interested to hear from people close to Cork/Limerick clubs whether its just players being slower to get up to standard of schools players, or just never likely to. My concern is really about the pipeline into academy- if our clubs in our major cities aren't developing underage talent that's a real issue. (This isn't a slight on the development work done in county clubs, just that the demographics obviously make cities more likely to produce players).

Comment

Thanks- so had there been players good enough playing underage club they would have gotten in? Would be very interested to hear from people close to Cork/Limerick clubs whether its just players being slower to get up to standard of schools players, or just never likely to. My concern is really about the pipeline into academy- if our clubs in our major cities aren't developing underage talent that's a real issue. (This isn't a slight on the development work done in county clubs, just that the demographics obviously make cities more likely to produce players).
          Kids in Limerick play clubs and schools.
          I think it is a slight in some ways. Clubs in county areas dont have to deal with schools. I totally disagree on clubs players being slower to get to standard of schools. Watch top club teams and you would see that.

Comment

Kids in Limerick play clubs and schools.
            I think it is a slight in some ways. Clubs in county areas dont have to deal with schools. I totally disagree on clubs players being slower to get to standard of schools. Watch top club teams and you would see that.
            No slight whatsoever was intended, there are about 1.2m people in Munster, two thirds of whom live in Cork, Limerick and Waterford. No club only from these cities players on Ireland U18, begs a question.

Comment

No slight whatsoever was intended, there are about 1.2m people in Munster, two thirds of whom live in Cork, Limerick and Waterford. No club only from these cities players on Ireland U18, begs a question.
              County Waterford has 4 players involved in irish squads between 18s and 19s
              No club players foesnt necessarily beg a question when you take into account the schools. And there is 3 players from Limerick city and 7 from cork city in schools squad
              Jay Traynor in 18s and Eoin O’Connor, Thomas Ahearne and Ben Daly in 19s is good representation from a city with 2 clubs

Comment

Agreed OL, given only 2 city clubs Waterford is doing well IMHO
                "There are a lot of points that we’ve left behind and this is with a young group. That probably tells you what they’re capable of and that they’re a very good side.

Probably next year or the year after next they will take some stopping"

Anthony Foley, May 2016. Axel RIP

Comment

County Waterford has 4 players involved in irish squads between 18s and 19s
                  No club players foesnt necessarily beg a question when you take into account the schools. And there is 3 players from Limerick city and 7 from cork city in schools squad
                  Jay Traynor in 18s and Eoin O’Connor, Thomas Ahearne and Ben Daly in 19s is good representation from a city with 2 clubs
                  I’m not criticising anyone, or any place, and am delighted Waterford is bringing on players. But the point i was making is that beyond schools, cities seem not to be producing players. The relatively few schools that play high level rugby means the pipeline of really promising players to senior level narrows if club players coming through aren’t getting to age grade representative level. The alternative, as I raised in my original post, was that perhaps players are developing later.

Comment

Look at it like this, out of 8 rugby clubs in limerick city there is only one club playing in the u16 munster clubs competition this season. St Munchins fielded three sides at u16 last weekend.
                    The thinking (wrongly)is that if you are from limerick city and any good at rugby then you should be attending a rugby school.

its depressing and only going to get worse as evidenced with the recent fiasco of player loans blocked by munster rugby across the board this season. All had to go to appeal and they then turned down half of them even though some of these players were on loan to the same club the past few seasons.

in one case a 13 year old player who was registered with a club when he turned up for a training session at 5 years of age and never played with this club. This player then went to another limerick club and was on loan the past few seasons (due to branch refusing transfer) was told in September that his loan would not be approved this season and he should go back to play with the club he registered with at age 5. Utter madness !

that allied to schools paneling 28 player and telling another 10 not to play club rugby.
                    doesnt help when the chair of munster youths only recently vacated the post of chair of munster schools. God help us all.

rant over !

Comment

I’m not criticising anyone, or any place, and am delighted Waterford is bringing on players. But the point i was making is that beyond schools, cities seem not to be producing players. The relatively few schools that play high level rugby means the pipeline of really promising players to senior level narrows if club players coming through aren’t getting to age grade representative level. The alternative, as I raised in my original post, was that perhaps players are developing later.
                      They are and would do more if schools didnt act up with player availability. brightspark has more and agree with what he's said.

Comment

Wasn’t aware of that (Brightspark) but rant away- on the face of it it seems a ridiculous situation- we need as many kids playing as possible- be that with schools or clubs- ‘poaching’ of players wasn’t unknown even in my time, but one limerick club from 8 playing at U16 isn’t going to result in many going on to represent at u18 and beyond.

Comment

Anyone know the schedule in Italy for these teams. In Rome with work so will catch a game if about

Comment

Originally posted by TokyoCrusaders92 View Post
                            Anyone know the schedule in Italy for these teams. In Rome with work so will catch a game if about
                            Game is in Treviso.

Comment

Theyre not because of the schools. Take Limerick. Take 130plus players out of equation for clubs squad then your player pool for clubs wont necessarily be the strongest. And many promising players from clubs will still make it to representative level.

Comment

Working...
                              X