Ireland u20 6 Nations and World Championship 2019

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jagawayagain View Post

That’s exactly the ‘problem’, and it is increased by guys rehabbing and coming back to full fitness slowly- as in, but not limited to, our inescapable chopping and changing at 10. This just makes Healy’s problem even worse, because you can choose to rest a fit inform player in favour of an inexperienced lad, but you wouldn’t want to delay return to match fitness of a potential starter by doing so. If we had the money should be arranging challenge games for u23 against equivalent teams lin the premiership and Top14.
    For me, the chopping and changing at 10 is not inescapable, it’s a choice, and it’s an example of the problem we have.

The ideal number, IMHO, is three live options in each key position: your first choice, your reliable second choice, your promising but less experienced third choice e.g. Sexton, Byrne, Frawley. International call ups and injuries give plenty of opportunities to all. In a crisis you have to rely on your academy or, in the case of long term injuries, possibly a short term emergency signing.

Even with Keats leaving we currently have one too many options at 10 and it’s helping nobody. The call should have been made to let Tyler or JJ go. Even with the RWC I’d be perfectly happy with Carbery, Tyler/JJ, Johnston and Healy as academy cover next year.

That’s the ruthlessness we need.

Comment

This on the internet anywhere for those outside Ireland ?

Comment

Originally posted by reded View Post
        This on the internet anywhere for those outside Ireland ?
        Depends on the fixture. Suspect the Welsh will show our game against them on S4C or something. If not we’ll be relying on a dodgy stream.

Comment

Maybe the IRFU could be encouraged to stream the game against Wales on their facebook page. They did that for the Italy match
          Has Fineen put Johnny down yet?

Comment

Originally posted by Munsterboy View Post

For me, the chopping and changing at 10 is not inescapable, it’s a choice, and it’s an example of the problem we have.

The ideal number, IMHO, is three live options in each key position: your first choice, your reliable second choice, your promising but less experienced third choice e.g. Sexton, Byrne, Frawley. International call ups and injuries give plenty of opportunities to all. In a crisis you have to rely on your academy or, in the case of long term injuries, possibly a short term emergency signing.

Even with Keats leaving we currently have one too many options at 10 and it’s helping nobody. The call should have been made to let Tyler or JJ go. Even with the RWC I’d be perfectly happy with Carbery, Tyler/JJ, Johnston and Healy as academy cover next year.

That’s the ruthlessness we need.
            So, this year you’d have had who as 1, 2 and 3?

I agree with the number we need, but with JJ being erratic, and reasonable worries about TBs fitness, I can’t see how - other than playing them- you could make a call on whether one will ever be more consistent, or the other have the physical resilience to be a long term second or challenging first .

Comment

So, this year you’d have had who as 1, 2 and 3?

I agree with the number we need, but with JJ being erratic, and reasonable worries about TBs fitness, I can’t see how - other than playing them- you could make a call on whether one will ever be more consistent, or the other have the physical resilience to be a long term second or challenging first .
              Well, I’m thinking of the season ahead now we’ve seen Tyler seemingly back to full fitness and Bill Johnston make the step up. Personally I wouldn’t have given JJ another contract (unless the plan is to switch him to 12 or 15 or something).

For the remainder of this season my 1, 2 and 3 would be Joey, Tyler and Bill with a view to them being the main men for next season. There will be some who argue it should be Joey, JJ and Bill or whatever and that’s fine too. It’s a judgement call.

The key point is we have one too many at the moment and I don’t think trying to accommodate them all with game time is working well.

Comment

Originally posted by Munsterboy View Post

Well, I’m thinking of the season ahead now we’ve seen Tyler seemingly back to full fitness and Bill Johnston make the step up. Personally I wouldn’t have given JJ another contract (unless the plan is to switch him to 12 or 15 or something).

For the remainder of this season my 1, 2 and 3 would be Joey, Tyler and Bill with a view to them being the main men for next season. There will be some who argue it should be Joey, JJ and Bill or whatever and that’s fine too. It’s a judgement call.

The key point is we have one too many at the moment and I don’t think trying to accommodate them all with game time is working well.
                I don’t think we are trying to accommodate them all, but to use games to decide on the 1,2,3- but obviously I don’t know. If it was just a go on the merry go round to keep them all happy, then I too would be utterly against it, because I want us to have the solid foundation that will allow us to develop back play to supplement our forward effort.

Comment

Originally posted by dropkick View Post

I agree but...
                  the problem is Munster have a big senior squad and already lots of academy players waiting for a game. Munster have used their academy players the least of any province this season. Shane Daly has hardly featured for months not to mention Nash who has played very little this season. So Wren might be waiting a long time for a chance.

Ben Healy looks a good prospect but he has 4 players ahead of him. He's another who might have to wait another year or two.

Hodnett isn't in the academy which is why I said a few weeks ago it wouldn't surprise me to see other teams try to sign him. Botha looks a needless signing when we have Stander, JOD, Coombes, Jack O'Sullivan and Hodnett who can all play no. 8. How many 8s do they need.

In most positions theres a queue of players waiting for an opportunity. Munsters squad is big and many of those fringe players hardly feature so imo those fringe places should be given to young players rather than 30 year olds.
                  Stop using the Ash Ketchum approach to recruitment. There are 5 senior scrum halves in the squad and 2 highly rated lads going into the last year of the academy so what’s the logical thing to do ..... of course Van Grab one of the Leinster scrum halves. It’s absolute madness.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Konys barmy army View Post

Stop using the Ash Ketchum approach to recruitment. There are 5 senior scrum halves in the squad and 2 highly rated lads going into the last year of the academy so what’s the logical thing to do ..... of course Van Grab one of the Leinster scrum halves. It’s absolute madness.

I agree with you- although I’m not sure how you got to five, unless you count players who are leaving- and I was surprised at McCarthy’s early recruitment. Without Murray next autumn, and Alby, we have very inexperienced scrum halves- Cronin, with one senior year behind him- would be the senior man, with very raw people behind him (I don’t get to see any club rugby so I don’t know how close Poland or Stafford are to stepping up consistently). I’m not convinced that McCarthy solves this problem. However, it’s reasonabke to think McCarthy would be ahead of the younger lads in the pecking order. Murray comes back and we have our OH problem again. We’re we lucky enough to somehow get Alby, we have that problem in spades. A short term cover would surely have been the better option- it might have been risky- but we again seem like blocking progress of promising players in a crucial position.

by the way- I had to google Ask Ketchum...to save others, here’s what I found.
                    He is a Pokémon Trainer from Pallet Town whose goal is to become a Pokémon Master. He shares his Japanese name with the creator of the Pokémonfranchise, Satoshi Tajiri. His English surname is a pun of the English motto, "Gotta catch 'em all!."

Comment

I googled Ash Ketchum too before I read the next post. Lol

McCarthy is a strange signing. He has looked poor for Leinster but maybe the change will do him good. I think Casey will pass them all out if he can stay fit and get a chance. Don't think he will get a chance next season due to the number of players ahead of him.

My 10s in order would be 1 Carbery, 2 Johnston, 3 Healy. Tyler could be used mainly as a 12. Don't know about JJ but he has proved that he doesn't have the kicking game to be a 10.

Jake Flannery can also play there but has been superb for the U20s at 15. Very intelligent on and off the pitch and he is used as a second playmaker with the U20s and he has been vital cog in the U20s attack.
                      ​​​​​He must be a certainty for the academy.
                      ​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Konys barmy army View Post

Stop using the Ash Ketchum approach to recruitment.

by the way- I had to google Ask Ketchum...to save others, here’s what I found.
                        He is a Pokémon Trainer from Pallet Town whose goal is to become a Pokémon Master. He shares his Japanese name with the creator of the Pokémonfranchise, Satoshi Tajiri. His English surname is a pun of the English motto, "Gotta catch 'em all!."
                        Tis but a scratch.

Comment

IRELAND UNDER-20 Team & Replacements (v Wales Under-20s, 2019 Under-20 Six Nations Championship, Parc Eirias, Colwyn Bay, Friday, March 8, kick-off 7.05pm) TV - S4C/RTE2

15. Jake Flannery (Shannon/Munster)
                          14. Angus Kernohan (Queen’s University/Ulster)
                          13. Liam Turner (Dublin University/Leinster)
                          12. Sean French (Cork Constitution/Munster)
                          11. Jonathan Wren (Cork Constitution/Munster)
                          10. Harry Byrne (Lansdowne/Leinster)
                          9. Craig Casey (Shannon/Munster)
                          1. Josh Wycherley (Young Munster/Munster)
                          2. Dylan Tierney-Martin (Corinthians/Connacht)
                          3. Thomas Clarkson (Dublin University/Leinster)
                          4. Charlie Ryan (UCD/Leinster) (capt)
                          5. Niall Murray (Buccaneers/Connacht)
                          6. Martin Moloney (Old Belvedere/Leinster)
                          7. Scott Penny (UCD/Leinster)
                          8. John Hodnett (UCC/Munster)

Replacements:

16. John McKee (Old Belvedere/Leinster)
                          17. Callum Reid (Banbridge/Ulster)
                          18. Ryan Lomas (Galwegians/Connacht) *
                          19. Ryan Baird (Dublin University/Leinster)
                          20. David McCann (Banbridge/Ulster)
                          21. Cormac Foley (St. Mary’s College/Leinster)
                          22. Ben Healy (Garryowen/Munster)
                          23. Rob Russell (Dublin University/Leinster)

Comment

Great to see that Craig Casey is fit for this one. Gwan the young fellas!
                            Tis but a scratch.

Comment

Originally posted by dropkick View Post
                              I googled Ash Ketchum too before I read the next post. Lol

McCarthy is a strange signing. He has looked poor for Leinster but maybe the change will do him good. I think Casey will pass them all out if he can stay fit and get a chance. Don't think he will get a chance next season due to the number of players ahead of him.

My 10s in order would be 1 Carbery, 2 Johnston, 3 Healy. Tyler could be used mainly as a 12. Don't know about JJ but he has proved that he doesn't have the kicking game to be a 10.

Jake Flannery can also play there but has been superb for the U20s at 15. Very intelligent on and off the pitch and he is used as a second playmaker with the U20s and he has been vital cog in the U20s attack.
                              ​​​​​He must be a certainty for the academy.
                              ​​​​
                              Theres an enormous step-up from 20s to senior rugby in particular HCup. To suggest Healy is ahead of Tyler and JJ already is madness. I agree that he has the potential and is very exciting but thats a huge claim. Also I'm not sure Johnson is up to the top level either.

Comment

Originally posted by LimerickRugbyFan View Post

Theres an enormous step-up from 20s to senior rugby in particular HCup. To suggest Healy is ahead of Tyler and JJ already is madness. I agree that he has the potential and is very exciting but thats a huge claim. Also I'm not sure Johnson is up to the top level either.
                                Not sure Johnston is up to the top level yet, but confident he will be soon enough. I’d still have Tyler ahead of him right now but wouldn’t be surprised to see him challenging strongly next season.

Healy is hugely promising but a good couple of years from being in the mix with those lads.

Comment

Working...
                                X