No announcement yet.

Ireland u20 6 Nations and World Championship 2019

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just back in Limerick from the game - what a game, fantastic, great crowd and a brilliant atmosphere. can't wait to watch it on TV, luckily I set it to record.
    Munster lads were excellent. 6 Nations Champions (& beating the World Cup Winners!) - chance of a Grand Slam next weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by d4surfer View Post

Great atmosphere and a great idea to play in Cork. I've been to U20 matches in Donnybrook and the atmosphere has been quite flat. The lads really get a lift when they know the crowd are behind them.
      They should consider rotating the under 20s and the Women’s teams through the four provinces going forward.

Comment

Great game and team performance. Casey was the stand out but they all contributed to a fantastic match.

They look well coached and are not afraid to take risks and play heads up rugby.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Konys barmy army View Post

They should consider rotating the under 20s and the Women’s teams through the four provinces going forward.
          Ireland is the only country in the Six Nations that doesn't do this. This is the first year in a while that all the games haven't been in (or close to) Dublin.

Comment

We used to play quite a few games in Athlone IIRC.
            "There are a lot of points that we’ve left behind and this is with a young group. That probably tells you what they’re capable of and that they’re a very good side.

Probably next year or the year after next they will take some stopping"

Anthony Foley, May 2016. Axel RIP

Comment

GReat game,some superb play
              Munster boys played really well
              Atmosphere in IIP perfect for the game

Comment

Originally posted by lawrence View Post
                I would like to see Caseys great form get rewarded with some game time for the senior side, we play Zebre in TP in a few weeks, why not put him on the bench?

France have players starting this Sunday that played U20 last season and the season before, there were plenty of lads in Musgrave last night that played Top 14 last weekend.

I get the reluctance to play young players in positions where physicality is an issue, but SH is the one position where you can easily give youth a chance.

As one of the standout players in Ireland’s championship win the lad will be getting offers from all over, why not fast track him? In a season with the right level of exposure he could be up to the level Alby currently at.
                But the french players who're now playing senior internationally were regularly playing top14. We've only 4 pro sides so it'll always be harder for younger players to come through to some extent and be playing pro.
                Scrum half does have less physicality to a degree but the decision making is so much higher so you have to weigh that up as well.
                I wouldnt say in a season he'd be at level Alby is at but yes next season should give more of our younger players a greater chance of pro14 game time because of world cup.
                And our record by and large has shown we're generally doing it right so changes arent necessarily needed

Comment

Where is the fella who usually spends all the u20s threads telling us how terrible the players and coaches are?

Comment

Originally posted by ormond lad View Post
                    But the french players who're now playing senior internationally were regularly playing top14. We've only 4 pro sides so it'll always be harder for younger players to come through to some extent and be playing pro.
                    Scrum half does have less physicality to a degree but the decision making is so much higher so you have to weigh that up as well.
                    I wouldnt say in a season he'd be at level Alby is at but yes next season should give more of our younger players a greater chance of pro14 game time because of world cup.
                    And our record by and large has shown we're generally doing it right so changes arent necessarily needed

Last years U20 scrum half has half a dozen senior leinster caps along with 3 other lads from last years U20. No excuse Munster get that man on the pitch next year.

The is NOT an anti Munster because I’m from Leinster post.

Comment

Originally posted by Waterfordlad View Post
                      Yes, the Under 20s played all their games there for a while .

Comment

Originally posted by Waterfordlad View Post
                        We played all games there for years but IRFU changed after a few games where pitch was in poor shape after some bad weather. Shame it went to Donnybrook then.
                        Great that the games are outside the capital. needs to happen more with all kinds of irish games

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Konys barmy army View Post

Last years U20 scrum half has half a dozen senior leinster caps along with 3 other lads from last years U20. No excuse Munster get that man on the pitch next year.

The is NOT an anti Munster because I’m from Leinster post.
                          I agree but...
                          the problem is Munster have a big senior squad and already lots of academy players waiting for a game. Munster have used their academy players the least of any province this season. Shane Daly has hardly featured for months not to mention Nash who has played very little this season. So Wren might be waiting a long time for a chance.

Ben Healy looks a good prospect but he has 4 players ahead of him. He's another who might have to wait another year or two.

Hodnett isn't in the academy which is why I said a few weeks ago it wouldn't surprise me to see other teams try to sign him. Botha looks a needless signing when we have Stander, JOD, Coombes, Jack O'Sullivan and Hodnett who can all play no. 8. How many 8s do they need.

In most positions theres a queue of players waiting for an opportunity. Munsters squad is big and many of those fringe players hardly feature so imo those fringe places should be given to young players rather than 30 year olds.

Comment

Definitely a bit of culling to be done to make room for youth.

We have a lot of middling players who may be better than the young lads behind them at the moment, but who have far less potential. The reality is that we probably need to be more ruthless, and to trust in youth a bit more too.

Part of me wonders if this is partly due to the lack of a DoR. The coaches are close and loyal to their players. Sometimes you need somebody a step or two removed to see and do what needs to be done.

Comment

Originally posted by dropkick View Post

I agree but...
                              the problem is Munster have a big senior squad and already lots of academy players waiting for a game. Munster have used their academy players the least of any province this season. Shane Daly has hardly featured for months not to mention Nash who has played very little this season. So Wren might be waiting a long time for a chance.

Ben Healy looks a good prospect but he has 4 players ahead of him. He's another who might have to wait another year or two.

Hodnett isn't in the academy which is why I said a few weeks ago it wouldn't surprise me to see other teams try to sign him. Botha looks a needless signing when we have Stander, JOD, Coombes, Jack O'Sullivan and Hodnett who can all play no. 8. How many 8s do they need.

In most positions theres a queue of players waiting for an opportunity. Munsters squad is big and many of those fringe players hardly feature so imo those fringe places should be given to young players rather than 30 year olds.
                              That’s exactly the ‘problem’, and it is increased by guys rehabbing and coming back to full fitness slowly- as in, but not limited to, our inescapable chopping and changing at 10. This just makes Healy’s problem even worse, because you can choose to rest a fit inform player in favour of an inexperienced lad, but you wouldn’t want to delay return to match fitness of a potential starter by doing so. If we had the money should be arranging challenge games for u23 against equivalent teams lin the premiership and Top14.

Comment

Great match to watch. Fantastic team spirit there, with (dare I say it) an old Munster style 'never say die' attitude. They chased and harried bigger and stronger and more experienced French players all night. Congratulations to their unsung coach who appears to be giving them the right balance of direction and freedom.

This is the cracking Casey tackle on Joseph-- as tweeted by @threeredkings.

https://twitter.com/threeredkings/st...74973462913025
                                Has Fineen put Johnny down yet?

Comment

Working...
                                X