Guscott on Farrell

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guscott on Farrell

<h1 ="ing">Watch out Farrell, you are fixed in Irish sights</h1><h2 ="sub-ing padding-top-5 padding-bottom-15">Ireland will target the former league star while England will hope he can step up his game</h2><!- END: Module - Main ing -><!-CMA user Call Diffrenet Variati&#111;n Of Image ->

<!- BEGIN: Module - M24 Article line with no image (a) -><!-set value for print friendly -><!- getting the secti&#111;n url from article. This has been d&#111;ne so that correct url is
    generated if we are coming from a secti&#111;n or topic -><!- Print Author name associated with the article -><div id="main-article"><div ="article-author"><!- Print Author name from By Line associated with the article ->@@@@SPAN ="small">@@@@/SPAN>@@@@SPAN ="byline"> Jeremy Guscott
    @@@@/SPAN></div></div><!- END: Module - M24 Article line with no image -><!- Article Copy module ->
    <!- BEGIN: Module - Main Article -><!- Check the Article and display accordingly-><!- Print Author image associated with the Author-><!- Print the of the article-><!- Paginati&#111;n ->

BRIAN ASHTON has a significant belief in Andy Farrell. The coach has
    given Farrell a break at international level, believing he is the
    answer to some of England’s problems, particularly in the areas of
    playmaker and leadership. But Farrell will know himself that he is very
    much in Ireland’s plans as well because he will be ruthlessly targeted
    at Croke Park next Saturday as a possible weak link.

I hope we
    haven’t seen the best of the former Great Britain league superstar
    because he is yet to get out of second gear. You can tell by the way he
    talks that he understands the requirements, but he has played against
    two relatively poor back divisions so far and his lack of experience in
    union and what even he realises is a lack of real pace are making the
    job increasingly difficult. He has the air, in effect, of the talkative
    man who has suddenly become mute, or the diamond temporarily unable to
    shine. Decisions in the fierce atmosphere of a Test match need to be
    instantaneous, but he is taking precious seconds to work them out.

Against
    Scotland, he took the ball far too often in the fly-half position,
    especially after first phase. This is an area in which you would think
    he would be comfortable, but the demands in union are different to
    those on the stand-off in league. He cannot yet control the speed and
    dimension of the match, something that is imperative for a fly-half at
    this level.

What he needs to do is to settle in alongside and
    outside Jonny Wilkinson. He should let Wilkinson pick the right option
    with his input as the second decision-maker, the second pair of eyes,
    choosing when and where to pass the ball and where and when to kick. He
    was by no means the only England player to struggle against the
    Italians. England still have some way to go, but you feel that a true
    superstar would have taken that game by the scruff of the neck.<!-#include ="m63-article-related-attachements."->

Farrell
    needs to look either for a forward on the burst on his shoulder, or for
    the real gas men out wide. In his armoury, he has the long, flat and
    fast pass and the offload pass. Against Ireland, he will have to prove
    that he also has the most difficult pass of all — offloading after he
    has driven through the tackle. It is a pass you do not need so often in
    rugby league.

And this is not an easy life, by any means. It is
    unlikely in the extreme that Farrell can play in every England match.
    In his league career, the lack of teams playing the sport meant that
    his international career was only a couple of games bolted onto the end
    of the domestic season. England could play as many as 17 Tests this
    year, and as a man on the wrong side of 30 who has suffered a string of
    injuries, Farrell will need to be nursed very carefully indeed. You
    feel that his best role would be to try to pick up the game with his
    passing in the earlier stages as he do

Is it my imagination or did Guscott actually have something positive to say about Ireland??
    Terry who? Look man I aint playing the name game up in here Theres a reason why Mr. Felcher chose me in the first round....I\'m an impact player!!!

Comment

Heaven Forbid! - Think it's your imagination, all I could see was a compliment to O'Driscoll.

Comment

It's not so much what Guscott says that annoys people, it's the way he says it, i'd say he is generally pretty fair about Ireland, he's just a bit smary maybe. Austin Healy on the other hand...

Comment

I think there is a general lack of belief in Irish Rugby among English pundits, maybe with some justification. We are always built up as favourites for this or that but you always feel they are expecting us not to deliver.

Justified or not, Im not sure
          Anybody who sees a psychiatrist would want their head examined.*&nb sp;Henry Ford

Comment

Met him in a bar in Richmond on the day b/4 the 2000 HC Final. You could not meet a nicer guy. Very funny and very tolerant of drunken irish idiots going on about that famous drop goal.

My computer thinks I'm gay
            What's the difference anyway
            When all the people do all day
            Is stare into a phone

Comment

Nice guy or not, he was pants V Italy. You could have gone down and had two pints by the time he shipped the ball out wide. He is a big fecker though, and good in the tackle, so if those around him can cover for hislack of pacehe'll have a good enough game. If England drift too far apart though,he'll be roasted as one of our waltzing centres will easily outpace him.

Incidentally I think Gaffney was spot in in picking him as a no 8.
              Please support Milford Hospice. Click here to donate.

Comment

I was referring to Guscott [img]smileys/lol.gif[/img]

My computer thinks I'm gay
                What's the difference anyway
                When all the people do all day
                Is stare into a phone

Comment

I think Guscott has calmed down in the last couple of years.I used to get the impression that he really hated Ireland at one stage , never had a good word to say.
                  \"As she lay there dozing next to me, one voice inside my head kept saying, \'Relax, you\'re not the first doctor to sleep with one of his patients\', but the another kept reminding me, \' you are a veterinarian!\'\"

Comment

Well having put up the same idea in a thread at the start of the 6N I don't think Guscott is talking rocket science here. If I can spot it then I suspect the trained pundits and coaches will have spotted it as well. Against Scotland he let players much slower and less eslusive than BOD &amp; GDA get right past him. Union and league are two entirely different games. Expecting someone to adapt in a short number of games (he missed almost a year) and having playedseveral of those games in a different position is not realistic.

We should be doing exactly what's been said, make their defence stretch and give our midfield a little bit of space to make Farrell work defensively and worry. I'd also say we want to take the opportunities to bring Horgan into Wilkinson's channel as much as possible. The same way Maggs was used a few years back to crash him out of the game continually. I'd also say that BOD and Hickie given a chance to take Tindall on for pace wouldn't hurt us either.

Comment

guscott doesnt hate ireland-he is a black fellow trying to be english, and i know thats difficult in the english environment, he feels that accentuating and amplyfying english traits is the way to be seen, by many of his peers and the sun readers alike, as a true blue, hence his pretend dislike for all other countries rugby teams (esp wales) apart from england.

apparently he also thinks the troops in iraq are doing a fine job and eats roast beef of a sunday

If the lessons of history teach us anything it is that nobody learns the lessons that history teaches us.

Comment

oh dear

Comment

Originally posted by sewa

I was referring to Guscott [img]smileys/lol.gif[/img]

Dammit man be more subjective!
                          Please support Milford Hospice. Click here to donate.

Comment

dunno if you can say that munsterforever....

Comment

Originally posted by cornerboy

I think there is a general lack of belief in Irish Rugby among English pundits, maybe with some justification. We are always built up as favourites for this or that but you always feel they are expecting us not to deliver.

Justified or not, Im not sure

True in France as well. It's show me your medals (&amp; no the triple crown doesn't count) when you talk up Irish rugby. We've won nothing, zilch, nada, rien. It was the same with Munster before last may. Loads of patronising sh*te about great fans &amp; never say die spirit. It was only when Foley lifted that trophy, that attitudes changed (look at Eng attitude toTigers win in TP - they went on &amp; on about it). Now Munster are seen as a reference &amp; every team measures their ability by them. remember french commentator talking up Sale in recent HEC match with Stade Francais with " Sale the last team to beat Munster".
                              Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again (like picking Gordon D'Arcy) and expecting different results.
                              Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
                              X