Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Top 10 Rugby centres

<DIV ="LeadPara">1 Simon Halliday </DIV>
    <DIV ="LeadPara">Hallers was the man who showed me the bright lights. He took me through the early days, he made everything easy. He would make the break, I would support and I would score. He was massive and intelligent. Capped 23 times in seven years as an England player, sometimes appearing on the wing as well as in the centre. He could pass out of the tackle years before others mastered the art. </DIV>
    <DIV ="TailParas">He understood. </DIV>
    <DIV ="TailParas">2 Tim Horan </DIV>
    <DIV ="TailParas">He was a young man coming into the game in rather a dull era, at a time when nobody was actually playing any rugby. He recaptured an old Australian spirit. He was a small man, but my God, he was very strong and quick. A return of 80 caps and two World Cup winner's medals were due reward for a mighty career. </DIV>
    <DIV ="TailParas">3 Scott Gibbs </DIV>
    <DIV ="TailParas">I told him on the 1997 Lions tour that he was the fastest prop in the world. He was awesome, a great companion and the nearest thing to a big brother that I had. </DIV>
    <DIV ="TailParas">When playing with Scott for the Lions, I knew I was safe. When England were playing Wales, I knew that I was not quite so safe. </DIV>
    <DIV ="TailParas">4 Brian O'Driscoll </DIV>
    <DIV ="TailParas">The Ireland captain is a modern-day genius who, annoyingly, seems to be getting better and better. Perhaps his execution is not quite infallible, but he has an incredible combination of pace, vision and a massive defence. How he was missed against France. Saturday's key man at Croke Park. </DIV>
    <DIV ="TailParas">5 Frank Bunce </DIV>
    <DIV ="TailParas">Another man you always appreciated more if he was on your side. The New Zealander had strengths that any forward would have appreciated - he was rock hard and his trick lay in doing the simple jobs very well. Nothing flash, but who needed flash when you were Frank? </DIV>
    <DIV ="TailParas">6 Philippe Sella </DIV>
    <DIV ="TailParas">He could seem awkward and wasn't graceful, a bit like a pit pony on the bit. But in a team of fancy and silky Frenchmen, he underpinned everything, and because it often went unnoticed, he was a secret assassin. Had real staying power as well, toughing it out at the highest level for 13 years. </DIV>
    <DIV ="TailParas">7 Mike Gibson </DIV>
    <DIV ="TailParas">When you see videotapes of the Lions tour to New Zealand in 1971 - one of five Lions trips he made - you can see what the fuss was all about. Even from old television pictures, you could tell the Irishman was graceful and effortless. When you meet him, you also discover that he is a wonderful bloke. </DIV>
    <DIV ="TailParas">8 John Palmer, below </DIV>
    <DIV ="TailParas">He was a privilege to play with at Bath, and he was one of the most skilful players I have seen - he certainly had more skill than I did. He was a magician: "Here are three cups, after I finish switching them, where is the ball?" Usually the defence chose wrongly. </DIV>
    <DIV ="TailParas">9 Danie Gerber </DIV>
    <DIV ="TailParas">The South African was a real brute. He was like a cage fighter, or somebody who would do well in a street fight outside a warehouse. He was almost too powerful but was quick as well. He brutalised people, crashing through defences to score 19 tries in his 24 internationals. </DIV>
    <DIV ="TailParas">10 Ralph Knibbs </DIV>
    <DIV ="TailParas
    Seas suas agus troid!

Issues with 1, 8 &amp; 10 !!!

But what do you expect from a Jones interview ?

Comment

Bunce and Guscott the best centre pairing? That's vintage Jones alright, I'd like to see which country could produce a midfield as good as Kyle, Gibson and O'Driscoll.

Credit to JG for including Gibson, he obviously never saw him play much.
      \"This year is different because this year they won\'t beat snow off a rope. They\'ll revert back to type and get 6 shades of s**t bate out of them in the group stages of the HEC ...\" Tobyglen 21 Sept 2010

Comment

Where is Darce!?

Comment

Seem to remember Gibson was voted the best back of all time not too long ago...

Comment

Originally posted by plastic

Issues with 1, 8 &amp; 10 !!!

But what do you expect from a Jones interview ?
            But its a personal view point from Guscott, not apologising for anything else so don't get on Jones back (though he normally deserves it [img]smileys/smile.gif[/img])

As for best back think that was probably GOE

Comment

Aaron Mauger is not on the list either , just proves that Guscott has a very blinkered view of the world. Maybe when he plays in LeicesterGuscott will get to see how good this guy is - I think there's always a bit of home bias whereGuscott is concerned!

Comment

Originally posted by doc09

Aaron Mauger is not on the list either , just proves that Jones has a very blinkered view of the world. Maybe when he plays in Leicester Jones will get to see how good this guy is - I think there's always a bit of home bias where Jones is concerned!
                Shows you also have a blinkered view and didnt even read the report! Unless Jones happened to play for Bath, England and the Lions alongside Gibbs?

Comment

Where's Trevor Halstead!!$?!

Comment

It is just an opinion. Just as it was just an opinion of Bill McLaren and others that Mike Gibson was the greatest rugby player ever.

Comment

Danie Gerber was the best centre thatI've ever seen. What a pity that apartheid robbed the rugby world fromseeing him in his prime.

My second choice would be Steve Fenwick of Bridgend and Wales.

New infraction avoidance policy: a post may be described as imbecilic, but its author should never be described as an imbecile.

Comment

Working...
                      X