Is Cotton Wool the best for Ireland ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is Cotton Wool the best for Ireland ?

Last weekend we witnessed a fantastic game played to the limit by 2 excellent teams i.e. Ireland and France . Accepted wisdom tells us that the French are overplayed , yet at no stage did they look exhausted ! Our team are limited with regard to the number of games they play . In fairness our team were fit but no more so than the French . Our handling , kicking from hand and tackling , and passing were not as good as the opposition . IMHO there is no substitute for playing the game in order to maintain core skills . " over-playing " certainly does not seem to be a source of handicap to the French .Is "under-playing " handicapping Ireland ? [img]smileys/redface.gif[/img]

Thought some of our lads looked jaded at the end. Maybe not over playing, but over training is the issue ?

Comment

I think the answer is no but I'm sure that sometimes they are
      disadvantaged by not havingg played as many games. But our pool of
      players is too small to have 20 to 25% of our players injured at any
      one time. Fra & Eng can absorb that level of players missing but we
      can't so it makes sense to manage them like we do.
      Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again (like picking Gordon D'Arcy) and expecting different results.
      Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by Mcork
        I think the answer is no but I'm sure that sometimes they are disadvantaged by not havingg played as many games. But our pool of players is too small to have 20 to 25% of our players injured at any one time. Fra & Eng can absorb that level of players missing but we can't so it makes sense to manage them like we do.

You may have a point but I do feel that we are making too many basic errors and that this reflects restrictions on MATCH PLAY . Also players can get injured at Irish Squad sessions . I agree with you that we have a small player base but that it is smaller than it should be . If some of the players get injured we might get surprised by the new Bests x 2 , Flannereys ,Darcys etc who might emerge .In my opinion the size of our playing base will make sensible management of the pool stage in the W Cup difficult . In fact the size of our playing base could lead to International burnout by the time the wrld cup takes place . It may seem inconsistent of me to on the one hand say our stars should play more and then say that they should rest from Irish games now and again . They could however more than make up for this by playing a lot more for their Provinces .

Comment

I attended a session some time ago in UL run by Ashley Jones, the fitness and conditioning coach for the All Blacks and Canterbury Crusaders. A couple of other MF posters were also there. It was interesting to note that he said something along the lines of once the season is under way proper, they do very little hard training between games. Mainly just light top up stuff. Most of their hard training is done pre season. This in some ways seems to be what theyhave been doing with 22 of the ABs recently in advance of the World Cup.

I also heardrecently from one of the Munster Academy conditioning coaches that in the run up to the Munster - Wasps Semi in Dublin, Wasps did justunder 200 hours of on the field training, while Munster did over 500 hours. The inference was that Munster, and possibly Ireland too, put in too much hard training on the field in the lead up to big games, and hence knacker themselves.

This, along with simple observation,was the basis for my suggestion of over training above.

Comment

I entirely agree with you ybgur on the overplaying of our 1st choice XV. The benefit of rotating more would be two fold i.e develop more depth in the squad(giving fringe players more gametime) & keeping our best players fresh. The tour down under was a classic example : After 2 brave performances v the AB's the 1st XV was flogged in the 3rd match running out of gas in the last 30mins.

EOS is alone amoung INTL coaches in thinking that you can play 3 consecutive top class tests in 3 weeks. Fools such as G. Henry, B. Laporte have said it cannot be done but our Eddie refuses to tow the line. Of course when we get injuries like BOD last week, we seee the benefit of not rotating (EOS bringing in a 14 to play 12).

In otherwords, I think the policy of "coton wool" mgment is good but it doesn't prevent the national coach from acting the clown.

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again (like picking Gordon D'Arcy) and expecting different results.
            Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by ybgur

You may have a point but I do feel that we are making too many basic errors and that this reflects restrictions on MATCH PLAY . Also players can get injured at Irish Squad sessions . I agree with you that we have a small player base but that it is smaller than it should be . If some of the players get injured we might get surprised by the new Bests x 2 , Flannereys ,Darcys etc who might emerge .In my opinion the size of our playing base will make sensible management of the pool stage in the W Cup difficult . In fact the size of our playing base could lead to International burnout by the time the wrld cup takes place . It may seem inconsistent of me to on the one hand say our stars should play more and then say that they should rest from Irish games now and again . They could however more than make up for this by playing a lot more for their Provinces .
              This is the argument that has been flying around Wales for ages, the ML doesn't provide high enough intensity as key players are left out of Irish squads.

But then you end up as Wales have, with too many injuries to the class players.

Something that countries like Ireland and Wales with small player numbers and no real strength in depth can cope with.

Its a real catch 22,
              rest players- no competitive games- perhaps lose that winning edge,
              play the players get injuries and end up with a backline like Wales have in the last 2 internationals!!

I prefer to watch good competitive rugby all year so for me a more competitive ML and the HC and deal with the international consequences. But I would I think be in a minority in Ireland!

Comment

Well, Laporte will be proven right or wrong on that for once and for allduring this 6 Nations methinks MCork.

Comment

Originally posted by Corker
                  Well, Laporte will be proven right or wrong on that for once and for allduring this 6 Nations methinks MCork.

Just in case it wasn't clear, I was being sarcastic when I called Laporte & Henry fools. In my opinion they are right to rotate with RWC in mind as having cover in every position is impt for teams that aspire to winning a tournament like the WC. Of course IRL dont have the same ressources but EOS has set out his stall with his 1st XV to play every match & hopefully avoid injuries. When we lose a player to injury, more often than not EOS improvises (like on sun) cause he hasn't given potential replacements enough gametime.
                  Albert Einstein

Comment

We really should be putting out second XV's v Namibia and Georgia in the RWC but what's the bettign EOS will have some key players playing in 1 if not both?

\"This year is different because this year they won\'t beat snow off a rope. They\'ll revert back to type and get 6 shades of s**t bate out of them in the group stages of the HEC ...\" Tobyglen 21 Sept 2010

Comment

Working...
                    X