The pace we’re playing at

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The pace we’re playing at

for all the criticisms that can and will be thrown at EOS one thing stands out. Watching our games with Wales and France has been watching modern rugby. Played at a pace and with ball in hand that befits a professional game. Watching England's displays has been like watching 1980s rugby all over again. Slow, plodding, bash, bash again, bash again, give it to Saint Jonny to kick it.

It's been painful and slow progress but we have now achieved an ability to play the game at speed and do the basics at speed. In fact some of the rucking against France was so fast and technically perfect that it was brutal to watch. That game seemed if anything to get quicker not slower. We've also shown we can still do the basics of the old fashioned game. Our scrum gave as good as it got against 2 packs that were supposed to murder us.

Now I may be proved wrong but I reckon if we get decent possession (we did against France and England aren't anywhere near that level yet) and keep the tempo at the kind of pace we're clearly able to play at, the big English pack's influence is going to be drastically lessened as the game goes on. Certainly if Italy had had some ambition in the first half that game would have been much closer.

Yeah, thatmaul at about minute 70 - 30 metres - was great. Big relief as well, because it put the Leicester thrashing behind us. I don't understand why the scrum has stood up so well.

Apart from their try (the ball should have been cleared TWICE) + the last 10 mins, England didn't threaten Italy. Instead, they were happy to take points from around 40m.

Comment

I think England are good at hanging onto the ball though.

IMHO this is a game where O'Gara should not kick at all. Champers rugby!

Comment

Pragmatic rugby. Make their forwards run and work. And ruck like we did in the last 10 minutes - I'm not surprised Chabal kept going down cos he got absolutely creamed several times at the breakdown.

Comment

Working...
        X