Team Selection in the Build Up to the RWC

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Team Selection in the Build Up to the RWC

The following are Ireland's fixtures in the run up to the World Cup, where we must beat Argentina and France in our pool matches, a tall order. In light of our elimination from the Grand Slam I am aware that we have a championship to play for but imho I don't see France losing any of their remaining matches, even with Mr Wilkinson playing for England.

Should EOS seriously think about blooding some new players and giving some proper game time to the fringe players now because it's quite obvious we are weak in the certain positions around the park? Essentially we have 3 games left of high intensity rugby in this Six Nations to give some lads a run, give them good experience or do we stick to the first choice 15 as best we can? I cannot see EOS showing his full hand against the Pumas in May and June, our last two games to finalise the squad will be Scotland and Italy. All in all we now have, depending on which way you look at it, either 7 games to finalise it, or 4 games if we disregard the 6 Nations.

What does the forum think? EOS is a one game at a time man and wants to win every match which is fair enough, but with a World Cup coming up surely we need to see the bigger picture here. We are allowed 30 players. We need two fully fit, tried and tested players in every position. We all know the positions that are most vulnerable.

24-02-07 6 Nat Ireland v England Croke Park 5.30pm
    10-03-07 6 Nat Scotland v Ireland Murrayfield 1.30pm
    17-03-07 6 Nat Italy v Ireland Stadio Flaminio 1.30pm

26-05-07 Arg Argentina v Ireland TBC TBC
    02-06-07 Arg Argentina v Ireland TBC TBC
    11-08-07 Int Scotland v Ireland Murrayfield TBC
    24-08-07 Int Ireland v Italy Ravenhill TBC

Ireland A play New Zealand Maori, England Saxons, Scotland A, Canada and USA in May and June 2007.

RWC schedule:

09-09-07 RWC Ireland v Namibia Bordeaux 7pm (Irish)
    15-09-07 RWC Ireland v Georgia Bordeaux 8pm (Irish)
    21-09-07 RWC Ireland v France Stade de France 8pm (Irish)
    30-09-07 RWC Ireland v Argentina Parc des Princes 4pm (Irish )
    Frank the Tank is not coming back. OK? That part of me is over, water under the bridge.

I still cannot believe we are playing 2 tests in Argentina[img]smileys/confused.gif[/img]
    Excellence is hard to keep quite - Sherrie Coale

Comment

I think once we get the England game out of the way EOS will have some opportunity to take a look at a few players. But I don't think any large-scale deployment of rookies would be smart or, given EOS, likely.

Ideally, I'd like to see a more of Ferris, Reddan, Wallace, Trimble(in the centre), and possibly Kearney and Fitzgerald.

Comment

<!-
        var SymReal&#079;nLoad;
        var SymReal;

Sym()
        {
        window.open = SymWinOpen;
        if(SymReal != null)
        SymReal();
        }

Sym&#079;nLoad()
        {
        if(SymReal&#079;nLoad != null)
        SymReal&#079;nLoad();
        window.open = SymRealWinOpen;
        SymReal = window.;
        window. = Sym;
        }

SymReal&#079;nLoad = window.&#111;nload;
        window.&#111;nload = Sym&#079;nLoad;

//->

Prob should factor in the Churchill cup too. Presume that the squad for that will be the final cut-off for anyone with any hope of making the fringes of the RWC squad.

As regards blooding players in the 6ns this is steady Eddie were talking about and there's a triple crown to be won[img]smileys/lol.gif[/img].

BTW does Eddie have the most silverware of any Irish coach ever?

Comment

Originally posted by neiljung

<!-
          var SymReal&#079;nLoad;
          var SymReal;

Sym()
          {
          if(SymReal != null)
          SymReal();
          }

Sym&#079;nLoad()
          {
          SymReal&#079;nLoad();
          SymReal = window.;
          window. = Sym;
          }

//->Prob should factor in the Churchill cup too.Should really read all of previous posts afore responding[img]smileys/redface.gif[/img]
          <!-
          var SymReal&#079;nLoad;
          var SymReal;

Sym()
          {
          if(SymReal != null)
          SymReal();
          }

Sym&#079;nLoad()
          {
          SymReal&#079;nLoad();
          SymReal = window.;
          window. = Sym;
          }

//->

Comment

Originally posted by neiljung

BTW does Eddie have the most silverware of any Irish coach ever?

back in the late 40's and early 50s when we won all around us, including the Grand Slam, there was no concept of a coach, the players met up the night before the game, discussed the game plan, appointed a captain and that was it. The following Tuesday they used to listen on the radio to hear if they had made the team for the next match. Eddie has the most silverware but we have had more successul periods in Irish rugby than have had the last few years.
            Frank the Tank is not coming back. OK? That part of me is over, water under the bridge.

Comment

Since the slam is gone we should use the Scotland and Italy games for experiment. Not the English game for obvious reasons[img]smileys/biggrin.gif[/img]. Would like to seeSimon Best at tighthead, MOD in for POC, Heaslip in for Leamy, Boss in for Strings any new full back and a new centre combo tryed out. Blood a few guys now with aview to giving the French something to think about come September. Winning our group and therefore avoiding the All Blacks has to be the no 1 goal now.
              My computer thinks I'm gay
              What's the difference anyway
              When all the people do all day
              Is stare into a phone

Comment

Originally posted by sewa

Since the slam is gone we should use the Scotland and Italy games for experiment. Not the English game for obvious reasons[img]smileys/biggrin.gif[/img]. Would like to seeSimon Best at tighthead, MOD in for POC, Heaslip in for Leamy, Boss in for Strings any new full back and a new centre combo tryed out. Blood a few guys now with aview to giving the French something to think about come September. Winning our group and therefore avoiding the All Blacks has to be the no 1 goal now.
                We know what Boss can do. Why not give Reddan the opportunity?

Comment

Yeah b****x.. EoS will still pick the same 22..(bar injury) he'll want a Triple Crown again, for what it's worth.

Comment

Originally posted by Max Headroom
                    I think once we get the England game out of the way EOS will have some opportunity to take a look at a few players. But I don't think any large-scale deployment of rookies would be smart or, given EOS, likely.

Ideally, I'd like to see a more of Ferris, Reddan, Wallace, Trimble(in the centre), and possibly Kearney and Fitzgerald.

Agree with all of that. The chances of seeing any experimentation in the 6N are slim. It'd be great if P Wallace could get a serious game at 10 though - Italy (6N game)would be ideal. I'd add Hickie at full back, MOD, Jennings and D Hurley (long shot i know!!)to the list of experimentationabove.The clashing of the Churchill cup and the Argentina games frightens me - have a horrible feeling EOS will throw a decent amount of regulars into those games.

Comment

Originally posted by RobbieG

Yeah b****x.. EoS will still pick the same 22..(bar injury) he'll want a Triple Crown again, for what it's worth.

I agree he will stick to keeping his win ratio up but as we saw last week we have no experienced backups in certain positions. If Hayes for example were to be out what would we do? Forfeit?

My computer thinks I'm gay
                      What's the difference anyway
                      When all the people do all day
                      Is stare into a phone

Comment

Seeing as Argentina's best players are still going to be playing in France at the time of the Irish Tour, there's no need to send out the regular XV. To be honest this is an ill-conceivedtrip and in the circumstances (playing RWC opponents 4 months prior to the competition) pointless. The Churchill Cup clash is worrying, you just know EOS won't throw in a few of the U-20's or fringe players once there's a trophy going.

Of those mentioned above, I would like to see Reddan get a run soon, also don't see why Hurley should not be given a step up along with Best, the shortage of Props is going to prove a real problem esp. when the Bull packs it in.

On top of this EOS had better factor in player burn-out and put his results driven philosophy to one side to rotate what little resources we have.If Laporte can do it during a Championship season (granted the French squad is immense by comparison),EOS shoulddo so beginning withthe Rome match.

Comment

I hope Hayes, O'Connell, Leamy, O'Gara and BOD are rested in the summer. Thisshould give opportunity to S.Best, Ferris/Heaslip, Wallace and Trimble in the centre. I'd also like to see guys like Fitzgerald and Kearney involved.

It's a shame the U20 WC clashes with the Chruchill Cup as it might have been a good chance to see guys like DavidPollock, Keith Earls and Sean O'Brien (No.8 i think) play against sides like Canada and USA, if not the Maori and Saxons. Like it or not the Chruchill Cup should off course be a chance for one or two fringe players to show their hand before the WC squad is picked but it should also be used to ease us in to the post WC and possibly post EOS era.

Comment

Is it 30 players for the world cup squad??

Comment

EOS is a gobsĀ¾te so he won`t experiment even if England beat us.

Ideally you`d like to see us do what France are doing and give 5 new guys a go in the squad forScotland and another few changes for Italy with Murphy at FB. Heaslip/Ferris at 8 Best at 6 Wallace given 30 minutes at 10,MOD at 5, Fla at 2. Best given at least 30 minutes at TH

I can`t believe his comment on Murphy at the press conference saying his not on form and Trimble has come into form. Murphy missed one tackle so is suddenly out of form and Trimbe plays crap v Wales and makes one break against France and is on form.

On the summer tour we need to see Trimble at 13 Reddan at 9 and cover for Wallace at 7 as well as prop

Comment

Working...
                              X