Trouble At English Game

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trouble At English Game

@@@@SPAN style="FONT-STYLE: italic">While I'm very sure the rugby fans at the game and going to the game will behave as always I'm a bit worried it could go all 'Love Ulster' on us. @@@@/SPAN>

<H1>Fury at Hain's rugby wreath plan</H1>

Minister wants to pay tribute to 13 shot dead by British soldiers at Croke Park in 1920

Henry McDonald, Ireland editor
    Sunday February 11, 2007
    The Observer

<DIV id=GuardianArticle>While history is being made today when Ireland's rugby union team run out on to Croke Park to take on the French, a row is raging about the next Six Nations clash at the home of Gaelic sports.

The Observer has learnt that, before the Ireland v England game in two weeks' time, the Northern Ireland Office is considering plans for Secretary of State Peter Hain to lay a wreath at a memorial to 13 Gaelic sports fans shot dead by British forces inside the stadium in 1920 and issue an apology from the British government for what has become known as the first 'Bloody Sunday' massacre. Both Irish rugby veterans and Unionist MPs are up in arms at the proposals.

Former Ireland international and British Lion Trevor Ringland said last night that the proposal for such a politically charged ceremony posed great dangers for peace and reconciliation. Ringland, who runs the anti-sectarian 'One Small Step' campaign in Northern Ireland, said: 'The fact that this game is being played at Croke Park, thanks to the generous decision of the Gaelic Athletic Association, will have positive ripple effects for the future.

'But plans for a wreath-laying ceremony and the apology will only mix sport with politics. It will bring the politics of the 20th century into the attempts at reconciliation in the 21st century. The government should think again before going ahead with something like this.'

Democratic Unionist MP Jeffrey Donaldson accused the Northern Ireland Office of 'monumental stupidity' in contemplating the wreath-laying ceremony: 'Whoever thought up this bright idea ought to consign it now to the dustbin of history. Rugby has always been a community where politics and sports do not mix. I sincerely hope this plan is dropped immediately, as it would outrage thousands of rugby fans, not only in Northern Ireland but also across this island.'

The Northern Ireland Office has yet to decide finally if the Secretary of State will take part in the ceremony. He is scheduled to attend the match.

Meanwhile, English rugby fans are likely to encounter republican protests at the historically resonant clash with Ireland. The breakaway nationalist group Republican Sinn Fein (RSF), which opposes the peace process, has confirmed it will picket the match. The organisation was one of three republican groups that organised protests against a loyalist parade through Dublin city centre last year. Demonstrations against the 'Love Ulster' march degenerated into some of the worst rioting Dublin had seen in decades.

Garda sources in Dublin told The Observer they were monitoring the RSF and several other anti-Good Friday Agreement republican factions in the run-up to the clash at Croke Park.

'They managed to turn O'Connell Street upside down last year and we were caught napping. They brought hundreds of young men looking for trouble on to the streets. We can't afford for that to happen again,' one senior officer said.

The political allies of the Continuity IRA said playing the game at Croke Park - the home of Gaelic sports in Ireland - was part of a process to 'normalise the occupation of Ireland'.

Des Dalton, RSF's vice-president, said: 'The political symbolism of inviting the national team of a country which forcibly occupies part of Ireland to Croke Park is something Irish republicans are d
    Kiva - Loans That Change Lives

The laying of a wreath would be the most harebrained effort at being PC from a Labour Gov. that does'nt have the cop-on of a hare.

It would be against everything that a modern,emancipated and pluralistic Ireland stands for if bad vibes about the English match are converted into crazy, unwanted protest by a minority of Neanderthals.

Comment

At least O'Connell street is not a building site this year. With outer ticket barriers well away from the ground they won't even get close to the place.

Comment

Originally posted by Dawn Run

The laying of a wreath would be the most harebrained effort at being PC from a Labour Gov. that does'nt have the cop-on of a hare.

It would be against everything that a modern,emancipitated and pluralistic Ireland stands for if bad vibes about the English match are converted into crazy, unwanted protest by a minority of Neanderthals.

Agree with every word of that.

Sadly, given thatI am completely out of touch with the new, emotion-driven, touchie-feelie world, I'm almost 100% sure that it will take place. [img]smileys/sad.gif[/img]

New infraction avoidance policy: a post may be described as imbecilic, but its author should never be described as an imbecile.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Dog
          Originally posted by Dawn Run

It would be against everything that a modern,emancipitated and pluralistic Ireland stands for if bad vibes about the English match are converted into crazy, unwanted protest by a minority of Neanderthals.

Agree with every word of that.

Sadly, given thatI am completely out of touch with the new, emotion-driven, touchie-feelie world, I'm almost 100% sure that it will take place. [img]smileys/sad.gif[/img]

Ditto, stupid idea, and god help us all OD I think you are right it will happen....
          Excellence is hard to keep quite - Sherrie Coale

Comment

Oh God please No. that's a crap idea
            Con Artist

Comment

Hain probably thinks it's a good way to get a ticket
              Con Artist

Comment

Groan - Politics &amp; sport dont mix.
                Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again (like picking Gordon D'Arcy) and expecting different results.
                Albert Einstein

Comment

I agree with ye but it's the 2nd half I'm worried about, I'd really hate to see English fans getting grief from the locals.
                  Kiva - Loans That Change Lives

Comment

Originally posted by daveirl
                    I agree with ye but it's the 2nd half I'm worried about, I'd really hate to see English fans getting grief from the locals.

I doubt that will happen, there will be no focal point for the scum to concentrate on with all the different access routes etc.

Comment

What about the ceremonial potatoes?
                      The Beatings Will Continue Until Morale Improves

Comment

Originally posted by The Word Is Born

You can put them in the stew with the turnips and roadkill. There never was a famine inside the Pale - we always knew which side of our bread to butter.

New infraction avoidance policy: a post may be described as imbecilic, but its author should never be described as an imbecile.

Comment

I work in the area and its amazing the amount of f**kwits who are obsessed with the England supporters coming over.

I've had "are you going to stand up for the English anthem" about 5 times already since Monday morning.

Comment

You can put them in the stew with the turnips and roadkill. There never was a famine inside the Pale - we always knew which side of our bread to butter.

<DIV>
                            </DIV>
                            <DIV></DIV>
                            <DIV>But didn't Old Old Old Dog hail from Cork? Was he not forced to eat stones and grass just like Harry's great great great grandfather?</DIV>
                            The Beatings Will Continue Until Morale Improves

Comment

<DIV></DIV>
                              <DIV>But didn't Old Old Old Dog hail from Cork? Was he not forced to eat stones and grass just like Harry's great great great grandfather?</DIV>

I'll have you know that Clan Larkin are 15th generation Dubliners.My ancestors once heldthe contract for keeping Strongbow supplied with nublie young women.

Comment

Working...
                              X