Eddie O’Sullivan should go

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Eddie O’Sullivan should go

over the gameplan properly before the match and make sure all the lads understand it.

[img]smileys/lol.gif[/img]
    Frank the Tank is not coming back. OK? That part of me is over, water under the bridge.

Groan.

I thought a man with your talents for humour would be busy at the Christmas cracker factory writing the jokes? [img]smileys/biggrin.gif[/img][img]smileys/biggrin.gif[/img]

Comment

I just wanted to keep the thread title as a placeholder Skib, there's method in the madness.

I plead contemporary insanity
      Frank the Tank is not coming back. OK? That part of me is over, water under the bridge.

Comment

Get your retribution in first Harry. Speaking of which what are the odds on Australia?[img]smileys/biggrin.gif[/img]
        The Beatings Will Continue Until Morale Improves

Comment

10-11 are the odds on each to win, 22-1 the draw [img]smileys/wink.gif[/img]

EOS isn't out of the woods yet folks, I'm not happy with his new haircut for a start

Comment

Thinking more along the lines of winning margin, although I got burned last year with Mat Rogers kicking that penalty at the death as I lost out on over 200 yo-yo's[img]smileys/sad.gif[/img]

Comment

I saw the winning margin odds earlier, the most tempting for me is for Ireland to win by between 16-20 points at 17-2. I figure we're in for a very tight game or else Ireland to kick arse, so the odds on kicking arse sound good as a pose to a not unreasonable 9/2 to win between 1-5 points. Ireland to be winning at half time and lose the game at 8-1 sounds tempting too.

Comment

All this squad depth waffle is doing my head in. If we were to ship two injuries to any of the following players then we are up de creek

Horan, Hayes, O'Connell, Wallace, Leamy, O'Gara, O'Driscoll, D'Arcy, Trimbe, Horgan (bold denotes the fact at I believe that there is not a suitable RWC standard replacement available in those positions).

We still face a huge battle to emerge from our group. A RWC campaign takes more than 11 months planning
                \'For he that hath no stomach for this fight, let him depart\'.
                Henry V - Battle of Agincourt 1415

Comment

I know it has'nt been tested but I for one would not be too apprehensive if Darcy was injured and Trimble came in for him with Hickie replacing trimble. The same argument could alsobe said for BOD is suppose.

can't really argue with the rest though[img]smileys/sad.gif[/img]although Ferris at 7 and wally at 8 migh'nt be too bad either.

Hayes andO'Gara for me are the absolute crucial players as without them we need to change our whole gameplan. Hayes as we don't have a lineout lifter of his calibre (or atighthead prop up to scratch)so would have to change our lineout around and O'Gara for obvious reasons.
                  The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad.
                  - Salvador Dali (1904-1989)

Comment

I agree with Upfront - Hayes and O'Gara are the players where there is absolutely no cover at the moment. There are some quality players in thisyears? list like O'Connell and O'Driscoll but the gaps can be plugged if they are not available - we are up the creek without O'Gara and Hayes. EOS will have to use the next game to give somebody (Wallace?) time at OH.
                    Computer games don't affect kids, I mean if Pac Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching pills and listening to repetitive music.

Comment

Would like to see Stringer and Wallace in the PI's game with two of Trimble, Darcy and BOD outside them. Gives him the best chance to show what he can do, especially if we keep a near full strength back row as well.
                      The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad.
                      - Salvador Dali (1904-1989)

Comment

Originally posted by Daky
                        I agree with Upfront - Hayes and O'Gara are the players where there is absolutely no cover at the moment. There are some quality players in thisyears? list like O'Connell and O'Driscoll but the gaps can be plugged if they are not available - we are up the creek without O'Gara and Hayes. EOS will have to use the next game to give somebody (Wallace?) time at OH.

Agree - but fingers in dykes will not get us out of our group!

Still we have to make so with what we have.

I also think Leamy has now become an integral cog in the wheel. There is not another No. 8 to replace him. Wally is outstanding at 7, Ferris is wet behind the ears at international level, Heaslip for one reason or another seems to be doing a Miller, Foley ain't up to it at International level for 80 mins anymore....
                        \'For he that hath no stomach for this fight, let him depart\'.
                        Henry V - Battle of Agincourt 1415

Comment

By the time the RWC comes around, Ferris will be ready to step in if necessary. The guy is very similar to Leamy in terms of power and aggression but he's faster. Pretty frightening just how good he could be. Heaslip may also come good. Most reports were that he wasn't bad against Aus A, he was good in the CCand he too has time to develop.

Comment

Just getting this thread out of the garage, checking the oil & battery in case we need it later.

And before anyone jumps on my back, I'll be completely
                            & utterly thrilled if I'm proven 100% wrong today. I just feel that
                            Eddie has ruined any chance we have of beating the french. See below :

Paul Ackford wrote:

<t></t><t></t><table bgcolor="#c0c0c0" border="0" cellpadding="1" cellspacing="0" width="100%">

<t><tr>
                            <td><t></t><t></t><table bgcolor="#f3f3f3" border="0" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="0" width="100%">
                            <t><tr>
                            <td ="text">

So, if France seem to be building a
                            head of steam what about Ireland? @@@@SPAN style="font-weight: bold; color: rgb(255, 0, 0);">By far the most disturbing aspect of
                            their match in Cardiff was coach Eddie O'Sullivan's conservative
                            caution before it. @@@@/SPAN>This was Grand Slam Ireland we were talking about, a
                            side that every reputable pundit had tipped to win the championship.
                            @@@@SPAN style="font-weight: bold; color: rgb(255, 0, 0);">Yet O'Sullivan fashioned a fifteen to counter what he considered his
                            own team's inherent weakness, the inability to generate first-phase
                            possession.@@@@/SPAN>

Ireland started like a side who had
                            already discovered that the weight of favouritism was unfeasibly
                            burdensome. Paul O'Connell, until the last quarter when the Irish
                            forwards finally began pounding, was almost invisible. @@@@SPAN style="font-weight: bold; color: rgb(255, 0, 0);">David Wallace
                            and Denis Leamy were nothing like as effective as usual in the back row
                            and all because O'Sullivan had denied his side the personnel and the
                            strategy to impose themselves on the Welsh.@@@@/SPAN>

And he
                            is in danger of doing so against the French. @@@@SPAN style="color: rgb(255, 0, 0); font-weight: bold;">Ireland are at their most
                            dangerous when their ball carriers among the forwards hit in behind or
                            around the fringes, when the likes of O'Connell, Leamy, Wallace, Jerry
                            Flannery and Neil Best get on a roll. Except that O'Sullivan did not
                            start with Flannery or Neil Best against Wales, nor is he doing so
                            against France, preferring Neil's namesake, Rory Best, to shore up the
                            scrummage and Simon Easterby to improve Ireland's lineout.@@@@/SPAN>

@@@@SPAN style="font-weight: bold; color: rgb(255, 0, 0);">Big
                            mistake that because, shorn of Neil Best and Flannery, Wales found it
                            easy to target Ireland's remaining heavy-duty traffickers and France
                            may do likewise. By attempting to underpin Ireland's allegedly shaky
                            foundations, O'Sullivan inadvertently reduced their effectiveness in
                            the areas at which they excel.@@@@/SPAN> Elsewhere, Ireland are in much better
                            nick because, even without Brian O'Driscoll, their back line are every
                            bit as good as France's. Shane Horgan, restored to full fitness, and
                            Geordan Murphy will bring their innate footballing intelligence to the
                            party and Isaac Boss, who replaces Peter Stringer, will increase
                            Ireland's attacking options close in.

It is
                            significant that O'Sullivan's failed to include either Boss or Murphy
                            in his original team sheet but, for me, the side are better balanced as
                            a result.

Of course, the match may not tilt on any
                            of those factors. Skrela and Mignoni might get their attacking collars
                            felt more frequently then they did against Italy; O'Connell and Ronan
                            O'Gara might discover the form they were in earlier in the season; and
                            Jauzion might have a stinker.

A couple of things
                            for definite, though. The big boys are about to start flexing their
                            muscles and the match will go down in history as the first time Ireland
                            have played a rugby international at Croke Park.

I fancy France by a whisker and that has nothing to do with an absent O'Driscoll.

www.telegraph.co.uk/ackford
                            </td>
                            </tr>
                            </t></table></td>
                            </tr>
                            Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again (like picking Gordon D'Arcy) and expecting different results.
                            Albert Einstein

Comment

Did I bump it?

Comment

Working...
                              X