Irish Kicking?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Irish Kicking?

We used to be one of the best in the world at it and in ROG we probably have the best out of hand fly half in the NH if not the world, but for some reason in the last rounds of the HEC and in the Wales and France games none of our back 3 or flyhalf seem to be able to find the touchline. It looks like we are either

a. Trying for too much distance - which is pointless as the good teams will take a quick throw and run it back

or

b. Deliberately keeping it in play in the hope their back 3 fluff it under pressure or get caught by one of our backs and turned over.

To me (a.) looks like something any of the players or coach could easily sort out by just telling the kickers to make putting the ball in the stands the priority. So (b.) is the more likely but if thats so its gotta be the most optimistic BS I've ever heard! Nobody in their right mind kicks to a back 3 like Frances, New Zealands, Australias or even wales. I just don't get it but the fact thats happening in hte provinces as well as the National team is a bit wierd?

thoughts?
    The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad.
    - Salvador Dali (1904-1989)

What worrie me is that i think you are right and it is option b. Some of those kicks weren't even close to going dead and he isa quality kicker. I was skeptical of the viceral anti-EOS of some of the posters here but if this is his tactical master plan then I'll admit they are right?

Comment

remember who was responsible for backs tactics on the last Lions tour, and what the "tactical" kicking deployed on that tour was ... [img]smileys/confused.gif[/img]
      Plato: \"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors.\"

Comment

France had us well sussed. Poitrenaud stood as an openside winger, 12 metres in from touch and about 40 metres behind the offensive line. The BSW (Dominici / Clerc) stood in the exact same position on the opposite side of the pitch. They never played a traditional 15.

Result - everytime ROG looked to kick in behind the OSW, Poitrenaud was just standing there. That option was closed off. This completely shuts down the kicking option, thats why he resorted to Garryowens.

Comment

Interesting, I guessthat's why Rogs kick straight down the middle of the park in the 1st half worked so well, there was nobody home cos they were defending the lines as you suggest.

alas they are just north munster now.......

Comment

If you are corrected 2nd then france prepared very well. Could Rog have taken a few meters off the lentgth to ensure touch?

Comment

Originally posted by Don Munsafano
              If you are corrected 2nd then france prepared very well. Could Rog have taken a few meters off the lentgth to ensure touch?

When inside his 22 yes, but I was referring more to the trademark kick outside his 22, left to right, bouncing into touch.....Poitrenaud was there every time! I just hope other sides don't pick up on it.

Comment

interesting, Are garryowens the only way to combat this? surely this means if we attack either side of the centre the back 3 would be out of position to sweep across? Guess the french were depending on their midfield to shut ours down which in fairness they did! BOD with one sidestep could have sorted out everything though[img]smileys/sad.gif[/img]
                The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad.
                - Salvador Dali (1904-1989)

Comment

If the French back 3 were that dispersed could ROG have sent a few chips over their line for our runners to run onto. Now i know this is risky but you have to make the opposition think?

Comment

Would a few short kick aheads between the back 3 and centres be a variation to the Garryowen? Might be quite effective if our backs knew 'twas coming and the opposition back 3 were well back which they were most of the time in both matches.

Edit:Great minds think alike Don and even greater minds do so simultaneously.[img]smileys/biggrin.gif[/img]
                    The early bird catches the worm but it's the second mouse that gets the cheese.

Comment

it seems that the one team we can't beat is the french now 5 in a row ?

these are the matches you learn from but we seem to be slow to learn

we seem to have a fixed game plan and the french by their unpredictability exploit the rigidty of our planning

that said we got our act together for most of the second half and were unlucky not to hold on

there was an argument for running the last penalty as we had the momentum at the time

Comment

Originally posted by Arthur Guinness

Would a few short kick aheads between the back 3 and centres be a variation to the Garryowen? Might be quite effective if our backs knew 'twas coming and the opposition back 3 were well back which they were most of the time in both matches.

Edit:Great minds think alike Don and even greater minds do so simultaneously.[img]smileys/biggrin.gif[/img]

Thats all my little grey cells used up for the day[img]smileys/lol.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                        X