X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yesterday - It was men against boys

Discuss.

(20 Marks)

NO it wasn't. The french & Irish playersknow each other well from the HEC where the Irish sides more often than not win & they respect each other hugely.

It was a man against a boy in terms of coaching. I'll give you that
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again (like picking Gordon D'Arcy) and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein

Comment

some of my own thoughts from my blog after the game.

Gutted.

France won out in a 17-20 win yesterday in Croke Park yesterday and this morning I still feel for the lads out there after the French stole it at the end. It would be very easy to lay the blame at individual players now, blame the referee, blame Croke Park, blame this and blame that. The key factors for me were the absence of Stringer and O’Driscoll and the fact that this Ireland team still really doesn’t come out motoring in the first 10-15 of games. The weight of expectation and the pressure of the occasion seemed to hinder the team in the first half but credit to them for fighting back in the second.

Although Boss played well enough and did his best in Stringers absence, the lack of quick ball from rucks and the breakdown gave France the extra half second to organise themselves defensively and stop the options O’Gara needed to work the midfield. It’s worth noting that Ireland’s best performance of the Autumn came against Australia when Boss played so I think O’Driscoll’s absence yesterday was keenly felt, we just didn’t have the options that he gives us to unlock the French defense. To come within two minutes of winning the game after an excellent second half display from Ireland was depressing to say the least. The french deserve great credit for getting back into the game but I still don’t know whether they actually deserved the win yesterday. They played a better kicking game than us, had a more structured gameplan and came out of the blocks in the first half much better than we did. They also turned over way more ball than us, won more ball in the opposing 22 than we did, won twice as many scrums as we did. But we should have won. We should have closed out the game and we had a golden chance to get the French monkeys off our backs and send a statement prior to the World Cup.

The final restart will go as one where we’ll say we should at least have contested possession, but Eddie O’Sullivan is right when he said it went down to the bounce of a ball, it just didn’t go our way and Paul O’Connell shouldn’t be too hard on himself for not gathering it. EOS used the subs and they did seem to make an impact in the final twenty, I don’t think there was too much more he could have done to win Ireland the game. As I said above Ireland haven’t managed to play with the intensity for a full match like they did in the Autumn, coming off the back of poor enough Heineken Cup form as well as the poor enough display in Wales last week was enough to make me think the French would have us in Croke Park yesterday, I’m sorry I have been proved right but to lose in the manner we did was heartbreaking. I feel particularly sorry for David Wallace who I thought was immense yesterday. It looks like it was going to our day. Another Grand Slam down the tubes, another loss to France, and another Triple Crown on the horizon. We need to move on now to English game and put them to the sword to get ourselves back on track.

you can see ROG's try here
      Frank the Tank is not coming back. OK? That part of me is over, water under the bridge.

Comment

Rubbish. The Irish team withstood the expected high-pressure start from the French,defended heroically and then came more into thegame. In the second half they more than matched the French and were unlucky that Walsh had blown before Murphy took off for the line. One thing that dissappointed me and was really no improvement from the Welsh game was O'Gara's touch-kicking or lack of it. If it was that difficult to find touch in CP then he could have gone for slightly shorter ones. As it was all he did,as in the Welsh game was to kick awaypossession to the French back three. There is no point in long touches anyway as the opposition simply take a quick throw and come back.

All in all, I thought it was a really gutsy performance by Ireland and bring on the rest of 'em.
        The early bird catches the worm but it's the second mouse that gets the cheese.

Comment

Have to agree with Arthur, particularly in regard to our touch kicking, too much ball kicked back to the French.

We had the game well and truly won with 2 minutes on the clock and we blew it on a restart, we must just move on from there, we can't win a Grand Slam, so what?

We have the English in 2 weeks to really look forward to, the match against Llanelli on 30.03.2007. and then the WC, so there's going to be plenty more glory days for Irish and Munster rugby.

As an aside, I thought Amhran na Bhfiann got a great rendition yesterday, a credit to the crowd.

Comment

Just for the record I dont agree with the title in the slightest.

Comment

This French team are a very very poor team.

Comment

POC should have secured the restart..period. He didn't, and the French took advantage of it.

We were in position to win this game and couldn't get it done. Lapses in concentration, fatigue may all have played a role, but the French did what they had to do and we didn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Dawn Run

Have to agree with Arthur, particularly in regard to our touch kicking, too much ball kicked back to the French.

We had the game well and truly won with 2 minutes on the clock and we blew it on a restart, we must just move on from there, we can't win a Grand Slam, so what?

We have the English in 2 weeks to really look forward to, the match against Llanelli on 30.03.2007. and then the WC, so there's going to be plenty more glory days for Irish and Munster rugby.

As an aside, I thought Amhran na Bhfiann got a great rendition yesterday, a credit to the crowd.

Thanks for reminding me,DR,I meant to put in my post as well that I felt it was the best rendition of A Na bF I've heard at any game GAA,Soccer or whatever. The crowd really belted it out.
                  The early bird catches the worm but it's the second mouse that gets the cheese.

Comment

As someone said was probably the first time Amhran na bhFiann was sung to the finish in Croke park by the crowd.

Comment

Originally posted by SkibRed

Measured against what standard? They hockeyed Italy, beat Ireland and will most likely end up with a grand slam.Admittedly they are a long way behind NZbut so is everyone else.

My computer thinks I'm gay
                      What's the difference anyway
                      When all the people do all day
                      Is stare into a phone

Comment

Originally posted by RobbieG
                        As someone said was probably the first time Amhran na bhFiann was sung to the finish in Croke park by the crowd.
                        When you have two Ulster football teams there they sing it right to the end without mangling the end of it!
                        Kiva - Loans That Change Lives

Comment

Originally posted by sewa

Measured against what standard? They hockeyed Italy, beat Ireland and will most likely end up with a grand slam.Admittedly they are a long way behind NZbut so is everyone else.

I couldnt agree more Sewa. These thoughts were not mine. See the 'restarts' post.

Comment

Originally posted by sewa

I couldnt agree more Sewa. These thoughts were not mine. See the 'restarts' post.

It's a dig at me Sewa would not worry about it. Believe I said poor team. If they were playing to their potential we would have ended up on the wrong side of a hiding as we did last year and in the last WC. They fact that they only managed 13 points in the first half would suggest for all that pressure and possession they are not performing.
                            Excellence is hard to keep quite - Sherrie Coale

Comment

No, I think today proved that there is very, very little between the two sides. If nothing else it shouldbe very close in October. As for NZ, yep they are exceptionally good. Yes they are very strong favourites, but many teams have fallen by the wayside in big tournaments. We're good enough to have a decent shot.

Comment

Working...
                              X